The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Looking for input on which hand auger for drill conversion  (Read 2175 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey everyone I am going to buy a hand auger and drill conversion adapter to run for a while. I am looking at 7" or 8" and didn't know if there was much of a quality difference in blade life and overall quality between the Mora and the Lazer. Also has anyone heard of the NERO?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nero-folding-7-hand-ice-auger-with-drill-adapter-and-extension?a=2157724

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for input on which hand auger for drill conversion
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Tons of threads on this that would give you the answers you’re looking for. To sum up the basics...

1) What drill are you going to use? For a 7 or 8 inch bit you’ll need one with a little more torque than a smaller bit.

2) A flat blade such as the Mora isn’t as aggressive as a Lazer blade. I can run an 8” mora on my drill with ease. An 8” lazer makes it work harder.

3) I haven’t noticed a difference in blade life between the two as long as they are good blades to begin with.

To be completely honest, I’d go with a mora or flat blades auger. Eskimo makes one as well. They are cheaper than a lazer and the blades are easier to find.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Father in law has been using a Dewalt on a 6" Lazer and been very happy with it. He used this...
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit

Thing cuts butter smooth. Not sure what the person above is seeing with blades being hard to find. Fleet Farm always seem to have them and even see them in many smaller proshops that we visit time to time.

The setup seems to be solid. Now that we're in over 2' of ice it serves more as a back up to the 40V strikemaster for the majority of our holes, but it still seems plenty of action in case someone decides to do a little exploring in some new areas that the majority at fishing at that point.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:35 PM »
I'm SOLD on the Milwaukee Fuel 1200 in/lb and Mora combination with a Clam plate. Good blades are reasonably priced and fairly easy to find for the Mora and the Milwaukee has plenty of power to turn any auger you could want. Clam plate brings it all together and gives good stability to the auger while drilling and keeps the drill and batteries off the ice, snow and slush. Lots of information here on this subject.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 11:49 PM »
nero is supposed to revamp their design. the aux handle is breaking wrist bones. if you get one don't use that handle, use the aux handle on the drill. some are using the ridgid 700 inch pound drill on it and doing fine. they have the best warranty on the market because it is free lifetime batteries, parts and labor and soon the strongest drill on the market.
the ht russian mini nero has a 7 3/8 inch cut/hole size and should be plenty big enough. the blades are super cheap too.

lazer's take more ice per revolution than mora does so the mora is slower and easier on the motor/transmission of drills.

i use a lazer with no issues at all on a 6 inch bit and it would run a 7 inch bit fine too. i used to use a 500 pound ridgid brushed drill and now i use a 780 inch pound brushed drill on the same bits.

ridgid will be bringing in a 1239 inch pound brushless drill soon. it is available in the rest of the world under a different name.

no reason for a plate except one brand drill has issues with it's casting breaking at the aux handle mounting point, so a plate of some kind is needed to keep this from happening. this is a hassle if you use ice anchor driver for your ice anchors like i do. the plate also adds more weight and a larger foot print and more money.

i use menards shopping bags (thickest i can find) over my drill and i lay it on ice and slush. slip one loop of the bag over the chuck and twist the bag a few times to close the loop and then bring the bag over the drill and then use the last loop of the bag to go over the aux handle but also twist that loop to make it smaller.

it sounds like your all set on your drill and just wanted to know more about the augers.
talk to lefty about his ridgid/nero set up. i think there are more using this combo now too.

if you can hold up for next season you should have better choices before then than their are now.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Thanks all, I think I will be going with the mora for now and seeing how I like the set up

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:30 AM »
the 7 inch should be plenty. hope your drill is big enough for it and the batteries. you should have 4 amp batteries at least.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:57 AM »
The Mora is a good economical choice that I have been using for years now. When you dull the Chinese blades that come with the auger, replace them with blades made in Sweden, you will get much longer life out of the Swedish blades. I really like the clam plate as well, not all on this site do, much much more stability and control while drilling and keeping your equipment out of the snow, slush and water is another bonus. With the plate you wont be trying to protect your investment with a garbage bag. If you have a brushless drill that might work... Try it!!! If it doesn't work or gives you issues your going to want a drill powerful enough to turn your 8" assembly. Milwaukee fuel is a popular choice because it makes 1200 in/lbs of torque and will do the job hands down.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:13 AM »
With the plate you wont be trying to protect your investment with a garbage bag.

so what do you use to keep the snow and rain off the drill while it's snowing/raining/sleeting or mixed?

i wouldn't use a garbage bag either.suppose you could if you were in a jam of some kind.
 menards shopping bags are great to use and free. they are the thickest i can find. i use a few doubled up.

you don't need a plate when you drill a partial hole in the ice and leave the auger holding the drill in the air either.

it is also great to do this to be used for an ice anchor on windy days. you may want to drill all of the way thru to get a better anchor point. drill the hole so the auger leans into the wind. then throw your flip over shelter rope over the auger and onto the ice. the plate will do nothing for this method either.

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2018, 07:24 PM »
I run a Nero. No pressure needed for it the cut. The handle does not break your wrist unless you have little bird bones. I cuts fast and easy. I have a Nils convertible as well but it's still in the box. Blades for the Nero are cheap. $14

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:32 PM »
I run a Nero. No pressure needed for it the cut. The handle does not break your wrist unless you have little bird bones. I cuts fast and easy. I have a Nils convertible as well but it's still in the box. Blades for the Nero are cheap. $14

their is no reason to hang onto the auger bit while it's turning.

the drill is what creates the torque that's spinning the bit. they are removing that handle on their next version. it is only good to keep from losing it down an ice hole if the chuck lets loose and hurting people.

lefty runs a 700 inch pound drill with the 7 inch bit and he was injured using that handle and now he knows better and so does another member who went to the emergency room for breaking his wrist using a 1200 inch pound drill and the handle that makes no sense attached to the bit that doesn't create and torque. he knows now not to use it it also.
 both hands need to be on the drill not one on the drill and one on the bit. you might as well put one hand behind your back, it will do the same thing.

some are using bungee cord and keeping the handle from spinning using it and going to the aux handle of their drills.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:26 AM »
both hands need to be on the drill not one on the drill and one on the bit.

Not exactly the same, but this video on the second hole, is a perfect example of what happens easy enough, with only one hand on the drill, and its not a 1200ft lb either..

<°)))>{

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:42 AM »
so what do you use to keep the snow and rain off the drill while it's snowing/raining/sleeting or mixed?

i wouldn't use a garbage bag either.suppose you could if you were in a jam of some kind.
 menards shopping bags are great to use and free. they are the thickest i can find. i use a few doubled up.

you don't need a plate when you drill a partial hole in the ice and leave the auger holding the drill in the air either.

it is also great to do this to be used for an ice anchor on windy days. you may want to drill all of the way thru to get a better anchor point. drill the hole so the auger leans into the wind. then throw your flip over shelter rope over the auger and onto the ice. the plate will do nothing for this method either.
I use a clam auger head cover, thats mostly just to keep it clean when i carry it on my quad. Fits a little loose, but does a nice job and has good zippers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.