The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: never really fished for touge, salmon, or brooke but I would like to learn how?  (Read 937 times)

Offline freshwater fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys and gals I just started on this place i have looked and read some things about how to catch game fish like salmon and brookies and touge but those are usually from 10 years ago and i wanted to see if anyone knows of any good tips to catch these fish i caught my first brook trout last year at great moose pond in hartland but i just got a snowmobile and would like to go farther and try for different fish now and was wondering if there are any good tips to catch these fish and if there are any good lakes to fish for salmon and brookies and touge i know most people don't Tell there secret fishing spots which i don't either but I'm a younger angler (17) and have a pretty good amount of experience but i would like to know if there are any good spots to fish i live in the plymouth area which is basically newport for those of you that don't know plymouth would love to hear what everyone has to say on hear thanks
If you have never been skunked then you've never truely gone fishing

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Welcome aboard!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline rlgs312

• Team IceShanty Regular
Welcome to the site, I would say hook up with someone from your area when the season starts or go to one of the M&G's. :) :tipup:
Any day in the woods or on the water is better than ANY day at work.

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks and alright

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I live in Winslow, plenty of waters around to catch the trout. Togue and salmon waters are a bit more sparse, but there out there. Id be willing to make a few trips out with you this year and show you a few tricks. I've got a flasher as well, and you can learn quite a bit while using one

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Schoodic has togue.  I've only ever fished it once but we caught a couple

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
I've got a flasher as well, and you can learn quite a bit while using one

YEP! Like I said, save yer pennies....or maybe better, talk to Santa ;D :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Togue tend to run Deep, and salmon tend to be shallow but can be anywhere across the lake, Save these two species for later. Brookies tend to run the shore lines, start your season by target them until you feel proficient at catching brookies. They're the easiest to catch anyways.
There is a meet and greet at Dag's on the 30th. This is a great opportunity If you can make it down to acquire a few mentors and pick up a new fishing buddy or two.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
YEP! Like I said, save yer pennies....or maybe better, talk to Santa ;D :icefish:

If you are serious about ice fishing, and want to take up jigging, a flasher would be a great Christmas gift.

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for all the info guys I caught my first brookies at great moose pond in hartland last year and i caught them at about a foot or two off the bottom and another thing is that id like to go try schoodic but i dont really know where to fish it cause its such a big lake ive seen videos of it but never tried it but now that i have a sled im gonna be doing more lakes this year.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best advice I can give somebody new to ice fishing is:
No matter how deep of water your fishing in, I rarely fish deeper than 20 ft down in the wintertime. Some of the nicest and biggest fish are caught 15ft down and all the way up to just under the ice, in 40 to 100 ft water and just off bottom in 20 feet of water all the way to the shoreline. Just my 2 cents.

• IceShanty Rookie
alright thanks and im not very new to ice fishing just saying but thanks for the advise

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
alright thanks and im not very new to ice fishing just saying but thanks for the advise

NICE!  :thumbsup:

My gramps taught me tons! My dad and his buddies did too. Most of those guys are gone now. I learned more and more from watching and sharing and keeping my mouth shut,  with guys that did it right or wrong. Sometimes you can learn learn more from the guys that do it wrong,in the beginning. Like guys fishing steelhead in bright orange as opposed to the guys in dark colors or camo (guess who caches more ;D) ;  and every time you drop a # line size you catch more fish (Well, you get more bites, the catching is relative to operator error ). I actually wish I was your age again. I was kicking’ the old boys buts (except gramps - I miss him lots), after I paid attention to all of em and how they worked. Cool stuff! Some of the best guys,  you will find here.  :flex: :bow: :thumbsup: :icefish: :tipup:

• IceShanty Rookie
Ya i have learned lots from my dad and my uncles and my dads friends and family and my friends most of the time i learn from my mistakes and mostly i just learn from my mistakes and if i loose a fish oh well theres more out there

Offline PassionToMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fresh snow, slippery ice, I love fishing.
My best tips
1. Check the lake survey maps online to see what kind of species exist there.
2. Once you find the body of water that has the targeted species, follow these tips.
Brooke trout- Find some shallow water 1-10 feet sandy and rocky areas. Live shiners or smelt work best for me
Salmon- I get my best luck from salmon in a little bit deeper water 20-any depth.. Right below the ice or about half way down. Again live shiner or smelt works best for me.
Touge- Deep water on the bottom with a dead cut up bait. Dead shiner or smelt works best for me.
Have fun be safe and good luck  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.