Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Post front ice conditions  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Wordofmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
Post front ice conditions
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Hey everyone, first post here. Just wanted to share my experience yesterday after the front. I hit Blackhawk lake and went out off of ice house point ramp. There's a solid foot of slush on top of the ice. Absolutely miserable walking/dragging and I totally understand why it's called heart attack snow. I can't imagine a 4wheeler or snow mobile making it around but I could be wrong. Once I stopped it felt like I was in quicksand and you were knee deep in slush. But hey! Had the place to myself! Haha. Anyone else got any reports?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Post front ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:53 AM »
We are going to be fishing until close to tax day, don't think many are in a hurry to torture themselves with the Conditions that we have.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Wordofmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:58 AM »
What is the fate of such conditions like that? Will it run off or would it eventually freeze?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:14 AM »
If the temperature drops again it can refreeze and cause honeycomb ice on top of good black ice, be aware when you're walking out as this can definitely make for unstable ice conditions and a miserable haul out and back.

Offline Wordofmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:31 AM »
I see the weather forecast is very favorable for keeping ice but I'm hoping to hear reports and figure out where this band of bodies of water will be so I can avoid them from here on out. And potentially keep others safe too.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:48 AM »
Wordofmouth, where ya from?  I live in Lake View.  I tried Black Hawk with a friend on Saturday before the nastiness arrived.  Lots of small fish caught, only a few keeper crappies.  The snow/slush was bad before all this extra snow, so I can imagine that it really sucks now.

Send me a PM some time and we can share some info, perhaps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.