Author Topic: Ice fishing derby  (Read 7372 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Ice fishing derby
« on: Jan 16, 2004, 04:28 AM »
we need an icefishing derby here in fairbanks.  Trustworthy hardware holds one for the kenai peninsula, why don't we have one here.  All we need is some businesses to sponser.  More people ice fish up here than on the peninsula.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:Ice fishing derby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Maybe it's the size of most of the local interior lakes?  Most of the lakes fished in the midwest and elsewheres are large bodies of water with bigger brood stock base, less pressure per sq. ft., and our average temp. limits folks to fishing in a shanty.  If you think about it, I don't know of too many folks willing to sit on a bucket in -30 weather, (except for us hardcore folks eh.)  If a derby was scheduled one month in advance, it could be disaster in -30 weather.  Trusting weather patterns from past years would make you lean towards scheduling a derby in March.  March has the sunlight, the ice is thick, and the temp. is comfortable.  I would think, (dangerous as usual) that Paxson, Summit, Harding, Birch, Quartz etc. would be pretty good canidates for a derby?  Then again, you would need a sponsor or sponsors?  Would be an extremely fun event if thought out correctly!

KP Alaska may know if there had been tournements in the past?  Seems like I had heard of one on Quartz lake 2 years ago?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:30 PM »
What would be really cool is if you combined a few outdoor activities into the shanty.  For instance... the lake should be off the road system but no more that 10-20 miles out.  You would be required to fish as a team of 2.  There would have to be at least 3 class of fish for the derby so more teams would have a chance of placing (i.e. a class for pike, trout, whitefish, burbot, etc...).  All participants would begin at the same checkpoint and would have to be back by a specified time.  For those that are brave and wish to mix in firearms, there could be a check point set up along the way where each team would have to shoot at set targets for points.  While on the lake teams would also be required to at least attempt a small game hunt (hares, spruce chickens, ptarmigan, lynx, etc...) where each animal is worth so many points.  The categories would need to be split for target shooting, fishing, and hunting.  I say that all participants would have to comply with a no alcohol rule (drinking equals automatic disqualification).  I am sure that all would agree that alcohol and snowmachines/firearms DO NOT MIX.  Then additional skills could be incorporated such as a place on the trail where teams would have to build a fire using nothing but primitive methods (i.e. flint & steel, stick & bow, etc...).  There could be catagories for male, female, and co-ed teams.  Well, I should stop here because I am making myself want to go outside.  What does everybody think?

Icy Mike

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:09 PM »
too complicatated it would have to be a national thing to get some interest, my opinion anyway.  sounds cool, but i think that if we find people that are interested we could actually get a derby started here like the one on the peninsula.  All we need is a store to host it, say sentry hardware or something and find a couple more sponsers.  Its really feasable.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Mike,  Looks like you like calling and huntin'?  How have you done so far this year?  Wanted to get out up here, just finding the time is hard.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2004, 01:53 AM »
Hey BD,
not at all this year.  Went with the family to visit relatives back in Stevens Point over the holidays instead.  Some friends and I are wanting to go up to Silver Lake in Feb or Mar for a few days (about mile 12 of the McCarthy Road).  The trout are supposed to be good and my boss goes up every year to hunt fur animals.  We have done OK on fox near Delta.  I have been itchin' to try for some coyotes in the Palmer hay flats and Susitna flats.  I've seen them while moose hunting but never close enough for a shot.  I guess I got a bit excited about the derby idea.  Jake sounds likes he wants something worthy of ESPN or TNN.  That would be cool, but I don't think it would draw many pros up here so sponsors would be tough to commit.  I am not familiar with the tournament in Kenai.  What are the details on that one?

Icy Mike

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Barleydog,
I think the Black Spruce Lodge at Quartz used to run a derby in the winter. Sentry Hardware would be a good place to check to see if they have any interest in a derby. They definitley stock the most ice fishing supplies in my opinion. Sure glad to see that cold snap go away. A friend called me yesterday morning, they had -59 at their house on the Chena near the Tanana.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Kevin,  I will try getting ahold of Black Spruce lodge.  What's the fishing report on your end?  Looks like a good weekend to fish!  Warm warm warm!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Barleydog,
Hope to be down on Birch this weekend. Haven't been out yet, due to work and weather. You might find me at the green shanty off the first point. A couple of us have been talking about going to Koole Lake, the river crossing has been safe for close to a month now. Do you have a snow machine or access to one? Koole is located across the Tanana south of Birch Lake.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:53 PM »
KP, I have a 4X4 ATV but no snowmachine. :(  Koole is the Pike lake correct?  How did your camper/shanty turn out?  Did you place it off the point to the right of the launch?  Saturday may be one of those two lake days Birch and Harding...  Still trying for the elusive monster Laker out of Harding.  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:31 PM »
Hey barleydog, I think i'm going to put my shack on harding too.  Might not make it saturday, but maybe sunday after church, unless we put it on outboard for a week or two.  I took up snowboarding a couple of weeks ago :o, so it competes with ice fishing :-[, but it is fun and its good social time with some of my friends who don't icefish often.  we'll  have to all meet up at harding one of these days and find out how the fish are moving.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2004, 11:15 PM »
BD and Jake,

If you guys want some extra company myself and a buddy would like to join in on some pike action.  I always enjoy some winter camping and meeting new ice-nuts.  All I would need is about 2-3 weeks notice and some tips in convincing my wife.  If not, I understand.  

One more question.  I am looking for a place that deals in old auger blades.  I have a 1968, 3hp, 4-stroke (yes... a 4-stroke) auger that was made in New Holstien, WI.  I have gone to the internet, all the local (and in Wisconsin) sporting goods stores, etc, etc...  I even had a few machinists tell me they could not help me.  I thougth about replacing the auger bit, but the shaft on the power head does not match the female fittings of new bits.  The thing runs great and I do not want to replace it.  It's too nostalgic!

'til next time...

Icy Mike

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:12 AM »
fairbanks is a tough spot for that, took me a while to find a place to fix mine.  all the icefishing gear is way overpriced too.  on the kenai peninsula, is about 10-30% cheeper.  All i can do is wish you best of luck

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Mike check your messages........
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:28 PM »
BD, never got the trailer finished for this season. My buddy had to go out on family business and we kind of blew it off for this year. Koole Lake is a stocked lake, rainbows. Not sure how the trail is, could be possible on a 4 wheeler. I was talking to a friend that works at Fish & Game yesterday, a guy brought in a 23lb laker from Harding. Said he couldn't get much other info from him. If you make it to Birch I will probably be fishing off the point to the left of the boat launch at the green shack or nearby on snowmachines.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Kevin, No idea where the big laker was caught eh?  I had caught and released about 20 lakers over the summer there.  All of them were between 8-10 lbs. :-[  No pigs, but I know they're there!  Any help with iceing a nice laker this time of year would be nice.  I had heard DEEP, but don't know if it's this time of year?  Lot's of shantys in front of the launch, but are they producing fish in 44'???  You are driving your truck out on Birch right now or are you just snowmachining from your cabin?  

Mike, Have you considered adapting a lower unit from perhaps a strikemaster, jiffy, or eskimo?  Does the auger have a male receiver protruding from the motor area?  Is the auger portion a female adapter or attached to the motor in any way?  Do you have a picture you can post?  Is it a Badger auger?  I do have a friend back in Wisconsin who might be able to find a blade or auger.  Worth a try.   Great that your stickin' with such an antique!  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:00 PM »
BD, I let the temperature determine what I go out on/in. Not much fun on the machine below zero, when the truck cab is nice and warm. I'm driving a silver Ford these days. If you don't see me on the ice check the cabin, corner of lost lake and overlook.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2004, 01:56 PM »
BD,

The shaft off the power-head is round with a flat spot.  The bit is held in place with a set-screw.  I looked into replacing the whole auger shaft, but the new shafts are held to the power head with a threaded bolt running through the auger shaft and the power-head shaft.  I don't really want to drill into the power head shaft out of fear it may weaken it.  It's not as thick as the newer shafts.  I may have to go into Anchorage and try a few new machinists to have some blades made.  The next problem is having a shaft extension made.  I went out last monday and only had about 6-8 inches of clearance.  That cold snap made a few more inches of ice.  I'll try and post a picture of the auger if I get a chance.

Icy

Offline singleshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • God made water to walk on.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2004, 10:32 AM »
Greetings Icy Mike,
From your description of your auger I am sure that it can be adapted to a newer shaft or an adapter made for the original. Is the problem that your blades are dull or you don't have blades at all? What is the make of your auger? I am from Wisconsin I might be able to locate something locally that would be of some help. Have you considered cutting the mating portion of your auger shaft and welding it to a newer shaft, such as a Strikemaster; that would get you going and provide a source of replacement and sharpended blades? A good machinist/welder could do this and keep it running true so you don't get a lot of wobble. I am a toolmaker and cutting tool grinder and am sure this is doable. Post some pictures if you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.