Author Topic: Clam 5600  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Jiggn' Gills

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Nut!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clam 5600
« on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Hey guys

I am new to the site, and I think it is great!! Very good and useful information.  I think I have decided on the 5600.  I live in Central Indiana and normally our icefishing season is only a couple of months.  My son (8) truly loves this sport and for me to fish, he needs to be comfortable. 

Looking for honest opinions!  Locally, I have not seen much of a selection other than Clam and Frabill.  There is a local dealer that sells Shapell, but seems to be high.

Thanks  ;D ;D ;D

Scott

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Clam 5600
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:12 PM »
The key is mobility. I'm sure the 5600 is pretty heavy!! Then pulling it through a foot of snow could possibly cause a coronary. If we here in Indiana were lucky enough, like Minnesotans, to be able to drive on the lakes to the hotspots, then set up next to the vehicle, that would be the ticket!! I personally would go with the two man fishtrap, light enough to pull, and plenty of room to store your gear in. Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision!! C-ya on the ice. Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline nate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:32 PM »
i really like my eskimo quick flip II

i know you have said all you see is clam but you might want to take a look at this product

nate

Offline Jiggn' Gills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Thanks C-Rob

I appreciate the info!!  I have been looking into this for a few weeks, and the 5600 weighs approx 75#.  All of the two man traps weigh over approx. 85#.  I have wondered about lugging this thing through snow, but I have only seen a foot of snow a few times in my life "35 years"  Also, I would love to have a trap, maybe a single for the days by myself, but man are they proud of em $$$$$.

I should have said, I may have a third fisherman, my dad.  I think in the 5600 we could be comfortable maybe without all the gear, but out of the elements.

Thanks again - I see many of your posts, where do you fish??  Maybe we can meet up some time.

Scott

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:48 PM »
mccambsa, I thought the 5600 was the "big" one!! I live in Hobart, (east of Gary) I fish the Valpo chain (Porter Co.) but am willing to travel to get on some nice "gills" and crappies!! I've just recently moved home from Minnesota. Lived up in Land of 10,000 Lakes for 12 years. Used to fish sitting on 5 gallon buckets, moved up north and got "soft". Don't know how I ever survived, with all the shacks and electronics, on the market now!! Good luck with your decision, sure makes spending 12 hours on the ice easy with a shack!! C-ya on the ice. Happy Holidays to you and yours!!! Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline the1jayson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy Crap-E Netman
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I have a 5600, I built a sled to pull it thru the snow, hopefully I'll get some pics up here soon. could do 3 guys but it'll be tight quarters good luck guys

Offline ranulph fiennes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:13 AM »
My dad and me bought a 5600 two years ago after doing a lot of comparison. Started using it and felt we made a mistake. we built a sled for it and it is easy to take on the ice, but once it is setup its not very mobile. you cant really make a sled to pull it when its upright and full of gear.

Offline indybogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing,hunting and family the best things in life
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:18 PM »
I have a shappell s2000 it is light and easy to set up have been completely happy with it, also I have the dx4000 it is a lot heavier but of course has more room and you can stand up and stretch without any problem.Both are great in my opinion and I never have a problem with snow depth. In the end it comes down to personal preference, but anything to get out of the wind is a great help. Almost forgot s2000 weighs 32lb. ,dx4000 weighs 66lb. but has skis on the bottom and wow do they make a difference you can get the skis for the 2000 but it really doesn't need them hope this helps.

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:31 AM »
It sounds as if you have a young son you are planning to fish with.  I think you are making the right decision in getting the larger Clam.  I have been ice fishing with my kids for the past 15 years or so and bought one of the original clams, although I have forgotten the model number.  I still have it and probably have not used it in a few years but will save it for grandkids.  The point is you two or three are gonna build an enormous amount of memories in that tent and you need to be together.  Yes, it is a pain in the arse to drag and haul around, but the comradarie you will build is incredible.  The kids, now 19 and 22, and myself now all have one man sleds and they talk very positively about how neat it was to go out in our clam for the day  and hammer chip bluegills and crappies.  Gosh, we used to cook soup and the like on our heater and it was almost like camping for the day.  Get the big one - you will not regret it!  I have decided to NOT sell my large Clam unit because someday I hope to play out there with grandkids.  Enjoy!

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Now that is a heart warming testimony for the holidays.  Truer words never spoken either.  Your probably not going to be running and gunning for fish with a youngster, so comfort is key, and I couldn't agree more with doc.  It is exactly like camping for the day, and if you catch a mess of fish, that is just icing on the cake.  The memorise will be built around the time spent together, not around how many fish were caught.   I'd go with the bigger one at this point too.
Carp

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Wow! Everybody bought the Clam 5600! So did I, and now I wish I had bought a two seater flip up instead. The convenience of putting up the flip up blows away the 5600 in my humble opinion. Annnnnd, I believe it may be less expensive. I also had to make skis for my 5600. After awhile it starts to get cumbersome with all the gear.
 But the big thing about the 5600 is that you eally only get to fish out of one hole, cause the other one will be under your keister. Check it out.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Jiggn' Gills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Hey guys -

Thanks for all the replys, I appreciate them all.

With all of that said, I did not end up with the 5600, I bought the Yukon Trap.  I put it on the ice today for the first time, we loved it.  A little hard to pull through the slushy snow, but it was great set-up.  I think this will work out well.  I still enjoy fishing outside, but it is nice to have a place to sit down and warm up.

I couldn't pass up the deal, Gander Mt. in Indy was giving 10% of and six months same as cash, so I also bought the Vex 18.  What a Christmas!!!   

I started charging the vex last night around 5:00 and it was not ready this morning.  I am hoping it will be ready tomorrow morning.  It said it may take 48 hours on the first charge; is that normal?  I am waiting on the full brightness of the light, before I take it to the water.

We fished Westwood today, and cought 1 gill - There were 8 guys in the area, all had vex 18's and all over 30 each fish count.  I talked with one of the guys and he gave me a vex 101 lesson.  Hoping to have it with me tomorrow morning.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas

Scott

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Congrats Scott on both purchases. I think a large charging time is normal for those batteries first charge so not to worry. Now your only worry will be how to rationalize to those little fishes why you're putting such a bad beat on em.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.