The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Could someone please tell me how much ice there is on Highland Lake in Goshen?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am hoping to go there this weekend, but wondering if it is worth the trip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If I was a betting man I'm guessing you are going to find 2-3 inches of soft ice covered in 16 inches of snow.  This snow has really made a mess of early ice.  I think I'm heading to NY.  They only received about 6 inches from the storm.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I wouldn't even bother Jim.  Those edges would be screwed even at 5-6" of ice with that much snow on top.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks, Pat and Jon!

I strongly suspect your educated guesses are correct, although I would still welcome any actual "eyewitness" report.

It's just that, having been out 4 times this season so far, I am eager to keep my "streak" going, and would like to branch out beyond the two locations that I have already tried.

Fortunately, I do have a couple "fall backs."

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks, Pat and Jon!

I strongly suspect your educated guesses are correct, although I would still welcome any actual "eyewitness" report.

It's just that, having been out 4 times this season so far, I am eager to keep my "streak" going, and would like to branch out beyond the two locations that I have already tried.

Good luck!  I'm sure you will be successful in keeping the streak alive.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Thanks, Pat and Jon!

You animal! LOL good luck Jim
Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
He is an animal.  Good luck Jim.  Maybe lll look Sunday.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck Jim I'm certain you will be able to keep the streak alive. if an easy bucket of oysters wasnt calling my name I would be out sunday. Saturday I need to get my boat tagged for quabbin so I may try to squeak out a couple hour trip after.

Offline Icetrotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
That was upper highland as of yesterday. Looks l frozen on top, looks kinda sketchy if you ask me

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Icetrotter et al!

I am hoping to range a bit further away on Saturday, and then keep it a little closer to home on Sunday.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
That was upper highland as of yesterday. Looks l frozen on top, looks kinda sketchy if you ask me

Id agree.  Looks messy.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I took a buddy from my pool club (and Arkansas transplant) who had never been icefishing before to  Upper Highland Lake at the DAR State Forest in Goshen today.

We arrived around 11 AM.  It was sunny, a bit breezy, and about 20 degrees.

Much to my pleasant surprise, the ice cover was quite good. 

Although there was calf deep snow around the rim of the lake, once you got onto the Lake itself, it dwindled down to about 2 inches.  Underneath, there was 2 inches of good ice, then 3 or 4 inches of slushy ice over another 2 or 3 inches of good ice.

I think the "real" icefishing season (where there is fishable ice beyond the "high altitude" ponds) may have finally begun in earnest.

There were three younger (late 20's) guys (Josh, John and ?) already on the Lake (about 2/3 of the way out) when we got there and one guy (Vassily) about my age (early 50's) who showed up later on and set up closer to the "beach" shore.

My buddy Stan and I set up about half way out, with my usual array of tipups, jig stick and deadstick.

Our "neighbor" Josh was kind enough to lend us his electric drill to cut our holes.

Overall, the fishing was slow.  Stan and I had three flags, but iced zero fish. 

The threesome near us had a flurry of hit-and-run flags off and on during the day, and landed a few small bass, a few perch, and a few crappie. 

Vassily, with just two jig rods, did the best - - reeling in a small bass, a couple small perch, and two medium-sized (10 or 11 inch) browns over just a few hours.

Notwithstanding the mediocre fishing action, it was a good day.

Stan and I hauled out my chuck wagon, and we had a pretty good lunch. 

While Stan had steak with a beer, I had a lamb chop and a small bottle of home-made red wine (a cranberry, grape, raspberry, plum, pomegranate, raspberry, serviceberry and strawberry), along with some kim chi and fried potatoes, and a choice of apple or orange for a palate cleanser, followed by a pot of hot coffee and some biscotti for dessert.

I also brought my cross-country skiis and worked in a loop around the Lake.

We picked up a little after 3 PM and left around 3:30 PM, so I could be home in plenty of time for my office Christmas party at the new Williams Inn this evening.

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow, but this time closer to home,  and with my younger son. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
As always, a fun report to read.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
always a informative report :thumbsup:

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am hoping to go there this weekend, but wondering if it is worth the trip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE HELL IS GOSHEN? 

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE HELL IS GOSHEN?

You ain’t from around here, eh.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You ain’t from around here, eh.

Outside of Conway. Just a smidge from Ashfield.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.