The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Safe ponds in Mass  (Read 5662 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Safe ponds in Mass
« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:10 AM »
just got the call. safeish ice in central ma widespread. use your own personal judgment and dont take any others word. I'm going to scout my favorite ponds in an hour but already have 3 locations that are good to go. sucks my knee is swollen like a balloon. going to have to take it easy on the ice tomorrow.

I have a feeling people are going to be getting wet this weekend.  I'm taking the safe route and got a place in NY.  Hopefully check off a new species.  Good luck and be safe if you get out in MA.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I have a feeling people are going to be getting wet this weekend.  I'm taking the safe route and got a place in NY.  Hopefully check off a new species.  Good luck and be safe if you get out in MA.
I hope people take it safe as well. going to attempt tommorow but have no problem calling it of its beyond my limits

LukequabbinMA

« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I no of no safe  in mass but heading north to nh im sure theres shallow bass ponds safe in mass but not my target

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:12 PM »
These knives I was using were absolutely terrible! Rapala and a no name brand someone gave me and yes, I ran the metal right off of them during sharpening.

I now use Cuda knives for fish and Outdoor Edge for butchering. Will never go back. Both, I highly recommend!

Dexter for fish! 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:10 PM »
just found enough ice for me. 2 hard pokes with a chisel wasnt getting through.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I figured if the thin layer of ice held the snow like it did, it would absorb all the water and freeze giving us a quick 4 or 5 inches.  Noticed all the ponds around me were brownish in color from soaking up the water. Curious if theres a layer of water between the layers tho..I'm gonna get to a spot on sunday nearby I'm confident i can walk on

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2019, 08:23 PM »
Had 3 inches of crap snow ice yesterday I could stand on it but I would not fish it not a single layer of clear black ice and spotty all over. Some spots two hits other would go right through. Hopefully forecast changes and it stays cold with the rain. Dying to get on the ice soon

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2019, 11:19 PM »
Haven’t found any good ice around me.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:12 AM »
Haven’t found any good ice around me.

If you are in Athol and can't find ice you need to look harder, I have been walking on 4 inches near Springfield, I know Warwick has ice.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:04 AM »
If you are in Athol and can't find ice you need to look harder, I have been walking on 4 inches near Springfield, I know Warwick has ice.

Some people just want to post on here thinking that someone that has spent hours and hours looking for ice is going to tell someone on here where there is ice so hundreds of people will show up at their spot. It always amazes me to see these posts early in the year. If you cant find ice in Athol you should not be fishing this time of year.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2019, 11:16 AM »
5 inches today in central ma. Looks like it will hold up for my first real trip Monday.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2019, 01:08 PM »
agreed if you cant find ice in central ma then you probably should open your eyes or wallet to put a tank of gas in the vehicle. I've found less unsafe ponds than safe ponds.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:25 PM »
So I went out today with all this rain and warm temps looking for ice.I got to my garage and opened the freezer and low and behold I found ice , so I filled a glass and then filled it with Crown Royal and started working on my gear so when the weather gets right Ill be ready. THEN ILL GET IN MY TRUCK AND DRIVE TO FIND WHERE I WANT TO FISH

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:06 PM »
There’s ice. Just need to look for it. Drove by 3 ponds. All appeared fishable but didn’t check them. Fished one for maybe 2 hours. Rain had stopped so it was very comfortable. Iced a nice brown. Only jigged. Traps are almost useless at this place.

westernmas on the finder

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Nice brown Maloney!

There’s ice. Just need to look for it. Drove by 3 ponds. All appeared fishable but didn’t check them. Fished one for maybe 2 hours. Rain had stopped so it was very comfortable. Iced a nice brown. Only jigged. Traps are almost useless at this place.

I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:26 PM »
first ice, I never go by myself. wear my float jacket or life jacket under my coat. carry spud bar. I chip apprx 1" per hard hit. If I hit water in less than 3 hits, I do not proceed. what is safe for one guy, may not be considered safe by another. If the snow mobiles are out, I'm good. One day, I knew the ice was safe when I saw an airplane land on the ice.

LukequabbinMA

« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Looking for a safe trout pond this weekend in mass if anyones wants to pm me and fish .comet i don't think is looking good yet

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Looking for a safe trout pond this weekend in mass if anyones wants to pm me and fish .comet i don't think is looking good yet
comet was skimmed with  black ice about a half inch on sunday. might be worth checking this weekend at least around the boat ramp or the cove at the beach. the deep water might not be too good. black ice is really strong.

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Went fishing with the wife today in Sturbridge. Caught 8 picks, two yellow perch and this good size white perch. Ice was about 5-6 inches where we were. Ice was starting to groan at about 11 so we left. Great first day out. First time fishing locally in Dec.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:48 PM »
there were people on ripple today

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.