The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Weekend at Burnett's  (Read 1179 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Weekend at Burnett's
« on: Nov 30, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I fished Burnett's Pond in Savoy today from 1:45 PM to 4:15 PM.

It was sunny, and not too windy, and about 20 degrees out. 

There was about 3" of ice (some sections light and some dark).

The surface of the ice was pockmarked with "sunburst" patterns where round holes had formed from melting earlier in the week, with spindly arms radiating outward from the center, and then refrozen.

I set up some tip-ups and a deadstick, and manned a jig stick, and ended up with three pickerel (biggest 19") and ten perch.

I'm hoping to get out again for a few hours tomorow.  Fingers crossed.

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Weekend at Burnett's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Nice work Jim. I drove by on my scouting excursion this morning. PM me if you go and want company.
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2019, 06:05 PM »
Dang, you are killing me. Chomping on the bit waiting for local ice. Keep your reports coming.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2019, 01:14 PM »
NICE WORK ;D

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:09 PM »
In the social whirl that is my life, I was busy both early this morning (church and a parish coffee social) and late this afternoon (Eagles Brass Band Christmas concert) but in between I managed to sandwich in three hours of icefishing on Burnett's Pond with Manitron.

The weather was overcast the whole time, and started to snow during the last hour or so.  Temps started out around 20 degrees but gradually warmed to 30, and there was about 4 to 4.5 inches of ice.

Manny and I set up a mix of tip ups, a jaw jacker (Manny's), a dead stick (mine) and a jigging rod.

While Manny and I were setting up, a gent from CT named Brian (our only visitor of the day), who was evidently scouting for ice rather than actually icefishing, walked out and chatted for awhile.

As we were yakking, Manny scored early on with a perch on one of his tip ups. 

(I believe he caught all of his fish on tip ups today). 

Over the course of the day, he caught a half dozen or so more perch, plus one respectable sized (16") pickerel that proved to be the big fish of the day.

For whatever reason, I did not have a single flag, although I eventually landed a dink pickerel on my deadstick, and toward the very end rallied with a half dozen perch on my jig.

In the intervals, Manny and I each smoked a cigar (for the afficionados out there, mine was a Don Lugo while Manny's was a Principe Corona), and I snacked on a light lunch of homemade trail mix (walnuts and cranberries), an apple and half a small bottle of home-made red wine (a blend of cranberry, grape, plum, pomegranate, raspberry, serviceberry and strawberry). 

I also passed a little of the time by strapping on my ice skates and taking a couple loops around the Pond.

Meanwhile, Manny served as the photographer for our early season expedition, and said he would post the photos later on, after I did the write up.

We packed up around 2 PM and headed out just as the snow was starting to come down fairly heavily.

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Thank you Jim for sharing the ice today. I had a great time with plenty of flags and good company. As for the pictures, here is my pickerel:

And finally for all of the curious Bogtrotter fans ,a photo of the infamously camera shy on ice gourmet

Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:44 PM »
Congrats on getting out guys and catching some fish !! @)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Nice work Jim and Manny!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.