The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Shiner trapping  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shiner trapping
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Hey guys, I have tried trapping for 3 years with no luck. Any suggestions on types of water to trap in, lakes, ponds, streams, current or no current etc. I have tried many different types of water as well as bread, cat food, dog food, crackers etc. This year I have a nice bait tank using a chest freezer, pond filter and pump, and a unit I plug the freezer into with a thermometer that goes in the water. You set the temp and the unit turns freezer on and off to keep it at required temp. I just cant seem to figure out the trapping technique.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shiner trapping
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Pm sent
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:47 PM »
I trap a small brook 20 yards downstream of a dam. I use silver traps they work better then the black ones from what I have found. I use hard rolls broken in 1/4 s only 1 or 2 pieces per trap and check the trap every day. It usually starts slow 2 to 10 shiners at first but by the end of a week i have pulled 6 dozen. It gets better the longer you trap. I haven’t bought bait in a few years. Use camo rope on your traps it helps hide them better.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I haven’t bought bait in a few years. Use camo rope on your traps it helps hide them better.
The Last year that I bought bait, I was buying 3-4 dz per week (I was also working at the time). since I have been trapping and catching my own bait (now retired 2 yrs), I have been using jigs with spikes, waxies and plastics. Last year, I gave away several dz shiners and I, personally used 4 shiners! I primarily used plastics

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2019, 10:39 PM »
I did a thread a couple years ago I believe I named it shiner trapping tips. I covered a lot in there you can most likely find it in the search bar. ponds are by far my most productive.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Do people leave their traps unattended for some amount of time? I have two close bodies of water which I believe may contain shiners but I'm wary of leaving my property somewhere. I had a Drew Bledsoe jersey stolen from me at Webster lake when I was a kid and I haven't trusted people since. Although maybe the perp did me a favor...

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Do people leave their traps unattended for some amount of time?

Mine trap stays wet, if it gets stolen than I am out 10 bucks or 2 dozen store bought shiners, my traps are more than paid for at this point, get your traps wet...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Do people leave their traps unattended for some amount of time? I have two close bodies of water which I believe may contain shiners but I'm wary of leaving my property somewhere. I had a Drew Bledsoe jersey stolen from me at Webster lake when I was a kid and I haven't trusted people since. Although maybe the perp did me a favor...
my traps never come out year round. if I take them out someone else will move in. I'll block off the holes over the periods I dont need bait.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Mine trap stays wet, if it gets stolen than I am out 10 bucks or 2 dozen store bought shiners, my traps are more than paid for at this point, get your traps wet...
agreed when I'm getting 8 dozen baits a pull at 10$ a dozen it's the cost of doing business if you get a 10$ trap stolen.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I took my traps out after the freeze. will put them back in tomorrow. im not getting many this year maybe because the water got too cold and the bait went to the mud. put the traps in in may for crayfish and had plenty of  shiners in the trap. so I know they are there. maybe i'll try to get them out deeper if the ice is melted enough.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:51 AM »
I dont think traps get messed with or mine have not been yet. I dont tie ropes to mine or if I do its blank tip up line you can hardly see, I also will use a long hockey stick to set my traps. If my traps 6 ft from shore in feet of water its hard to steal because you cant reach it and no ones getting wet, people might throw rocks and trash, poke with sticks... So far no issues for me except getting booted out of private ponds.

Offline FishingWorcester4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Papa Sly, when you finally trap some remember to let them crap out for 24hrs in bucket before you add them to your tank. You'll be amazed how much they dirty the water after eating trap bait.
Fishing....A jerk on one end and a jerk on the other.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Papa Sly, when you finally trap some remember to let them crap out for 24hrs in bucket before you add them to your tank. You'll be amazed how much they dirty the water after eating trap bait.
x2
I have 6 tanks going in my basement to assort them all. I have 3 to size them from small medium and large and one for my golden shiners. the other 2 I use for water to change water in the other 4 tanks and to put newly trapped shiners in to crap themselves out

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:31 AM »
“let them crap out for 24hrs in bucket before you add them to your tank”

Great tip. I shall do that from now on. I am getting a lot of baby bullheads, salamanders, and tadpoles but only 2-3 shiners per day. Hope that changes soon.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Here ya go courtesy of SalmonAndStriper Stalker: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=356257
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Here ya go courtesy of SalmonAndStriper Stalker: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=356257
it covers most of what I know. not that I'm an expert or anything but I do get my fair share of shiners.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Good stuff! Thanks guys.

Offline bpfishhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:15 PM »
shiner trapping is one thing, but if someone could teach how to jig pondies that be something! gotten them before but could never really figure it out. mostly I come up empty. wasted way too much time trying that's for sure.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:05 PM »

I can't believe I never thought to do this. Thanks.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:07 PM »
shiner trapping is one thing, but if someone could teach how to jig pondies that be something! gotten them before but could never really figure it out. mostly I come up empty. wasted way too much time trying that's for sure.
location is key but the method is simple. chum hole with bread and a hali jig with a spike or waxworm. I set the jigstick on a bucket so its completely still to detect bites. I'm usually fishing in shallow water so I just lift up and lift them out the hole. no need to reel but that depends on where you are fishing and how deep it is.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2019, 05:04 AM »
I started shiner trapping 2 weeks ago, first time doing it. Trap with bread or whatever dog food, cereal, chips, whatever I have to toss in the trap for bait. I use the old bait from yesterday as chum. I leave my traps in the water 24/7 check them 1-2 times a day. Ive tried a half dozen ponds, no streams, its a crap shoot, some ponds have shiners and some are barren or stubborn. I have manged to catch a few hundred pondies and fatheads, your welcome PapaSly.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:04 AM »
another tip is to be careful trapping. I have wiped out a pond before. nkw I sift thorough mine and let anything less than 2.5in go back to the pond. it's a hassle shifting through hundreds of shiners but it ensures shiners for years to come. I have also stocked small private ponds with great success.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:09 AM »
Last year I did not start trapping until well after my pond had frozen over. Every time I put the trap in, I would have 1-3 dozen shiners. I trapped one Bullhead all season.
This year is totally different. Salamanders, tadpoles and bullheads with a few small shiners. Pulled my trap yesterday morning and had about 20 cute baby Bullheads, a couple Salamanders and 1 Tadpole. I put fresh dog food in and threw it out. Six hours later I found about 36 shiners and no Bullhead, Salamanders or Tadpoles.
 Thinking maybe trap only during the day and not use bread. Fun trying to figure it out. The best part is my trap is about 40 yards from my house.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:13 AM »

I forgot to add the pic of yesterday’s shiners caught in a six hour soak.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Last year I did not start trapping until well after my pond had frozen over. Every time I put the trap in, I would have 1-3 dozen shiners. I trapped one Bullhead all season.
This year is totally different. Salamanders, tadpoles and bullheads with a few small shiners. Pulled my trap yesterday morning and had about 20 cute baby Bullheads, a couple Salamanders and 1 Tadpole. I put fresh dog food in and threw it out. Six hours later I found about 36 shiners and no Bullhead, Salamanders or Tadpoles.
 Thinking maybe trap only during the day and not use bread. Fun trying to figure it out. The best part is my trap is about 40 yards from my house.
daytime definately prevents bullhead. I've observed those baby bullhead actually eating shiners in the trap. had a couple coughing up shiners before

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2019, 02:59 PM »
I'm so glad my new trapping area has no bullheads. they were a pain in the ass. just shiners and polywags now.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Tried a small pond up the street from our new house I figured there were some in it when I saw the small circles on top of the water I’d see at my old shiner ponds. Decided I’d try traps again so I bought a new one tossed some semi stale bread in and came out with about 2 dozen mixedwith only a couple hour soak biggest was a decent heavy medium and a ton of small 2 inchers tossed at least another two dozen back because of their size. Going to take my small boat on it and find a deep hole to try jigging some bigger shiners up

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:36 PM »
I'll ask a dumb question. I have a trap and I live near a pond that supposedly has shiners in it. Can I just bait it, tie it to a string, and throw it in a few feet out? Come back and check it later?

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Sure, that is what I do on my pond that I live on. I throw the trap out about 15 feet and that puts it in about 1 1/2’ of water.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2019, 09:37 PM »
any luck yet Jim?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.