Author Topic: Garmin Ice Transducer  (Read 25038 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Garmin Ice Transducer
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:49 AM »
I am currently looking for an Ice transducer for my Garmin Striker 4. They seem pretty expensive brand new. If anyone has one they are trying to get rid of, please let me know. Thanks.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Garmin Ice Transducer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I think that this is the only one that's compatible with your model.  It's $98 new.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Garmin-Gt8hw-If-Ice-Transducer-p/gar010-12401-20.htm

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Thanks straight shot, I wonder if I should just rig up something with pvc to just hold the boat transducer level?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:55 AM »
I think Garmin's prices are too high. Last year I bought an ice kit for my Lowrance Elkte-5 for $118. That was a bag, battery and ice ducer. To do the same thing for my Garmin EchoMap73sv would cost me over $200. What a bummer.
jbird68

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Been using a Garmin on the ice for many years, before they even offered ice transducers. Here is one "system" that I used, but now I just have it mounted on an old tip-up frame.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Thanks striper, I can't view the photo on this computer but when I get home I will check it out. I was thinking about trying to just make something simple to hook the TD to that I already have so It keeps it level just below the ice.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Pretty neat looking "system" stripernut, nice simple design.

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:31 AM »
My portable kit came with this suction cup mount and a float. A little clunky but works and is cheaper than the ice ducer. Pop the suction cup off and adjust till it is level and your off. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/118125

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:34 AM »
So did mine, but I was not pleased with the set up

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Here is what I made tonight.

Offline Redneck2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:34 AM »
By no means I want to jack your thread, but how do all you guys like the striker 4? I have been doing a lot of looking and I am leaning towards it. The video I watched on youtube the guy just took off the suction cup and used the float. looked like it sat pretty level. Thanks for the input guys!!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:53 PM »
By no means I want to jack your thread, but how do all you guys like the striker 4? I have been doing a lot of looking and I am leaning towards it. The video I watched on youtube the guy just took off the suction cup and used the float. looked like it sat pretty level. Thanks for the input guys!!

Mine is the striker 4. I do like it a lot. Just made the contraption so I don't have to use the float

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:42 AM »
Hi guys . I just picked up a Garmin Stricker 4 also . I'll try to describe what I made to get the boat transducer to set flat . I took a 6 inch piece of PVC pipe and placed it over the cable to the top of the transducer . Then carved the PVC to get the mounting bolt  to secure to the PVC tube  so it sits straight up and down . Now get a fat pool noodle and slide it down the cable onto the PVC and snug it up to the top of the transducer . Mine floats nicely in an ice fishing hole . Hope this helps .

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I have the Garmin Striker 5 with both the GT20 and the GT8 transducers. Initially I used the GT20 boat transducer mounted to a pole and clamped to my DIY portable pack but found it cumbersome and often in the way. I ordered the GT8 ice transducer and it's much easier to use. However, the GT20 boat transducer allows you to view both the flasher and the clear vu graph on a split screen at the same time while the GT8 ice transducer does not - it's only the flasher or only the graph (and not the clear vu graph).

I fish in shallow water, less than 10', and I have 4 holes in my ice shack that are spaced 2' apart. One thing I noticed is that with the GT20 I was able to locate my jigs in the adjacent holes if the transducer was oriented properly. With the GT8 ice transducer I was only able to locate the jig in the same hole, not the adjacent ones, even with the beam set to max 24 degrees. It's probably not an issue as you get deeper, but if you fish shallow water the GT20 will show more of the bottom.

My DIY portable pack didn't cost me anything as it was made from stuff I already had. I used a small cooler mounted to a piece of OSB with a swing out arm for the transducer. The battery fits in the cooler and I can throw a hand warmer in there to keep the battery warm while hole hopping. The screen is mounted to the cooler and the swing out arm holds the transducer without needing to use the float. I had two broom handle clamps attached to a scrap of 2x4 that I used to hold the GT20 on a pole, but since going to the GT8 ice transducer I removed the lower broom clamp and the transducer fits neatly underneath the top one. The handle on the cooler makes it easy to move around.

Other than not being able to view both the flasher and the graph with the GT8 ice transducer, I really like the Striker 5.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:34 PM »
Jpohlic , thanks for the ice transducer review . Most of us owners that didn't get the ice package were anticipating great things from the purchase of the ice transducer . Now , as per your review , I'm really happy with the boat transducer . I get the same results as you with 2 holes close together . I can watch a large shiner dancing on my tip-up and watch my jig in the other hole all at the same time in 8.5 feet of water . You just saved me $160.00 ! Thank you Sir !

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Here is how I set up my boat transducer . Also , the cooler is a Coleman Model 6209 . Batter is Yausa NP 7 - 12 with 7 Amp hours . The cooler has a divider slot molded in to it's walls . I just slipped a piece of heavy cardboard into the slot to keep the battery from sliding around . Everything fits in very nicely . Oh , I also heated up a nail and melted a small access slot in the cooler rim for the power & transducer cables when in use .

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I really appreciate all the ideas as far as what to do with the transducer.  The old mini cooler as storage are great ideas so thanks a lot gents.  I'll be making some modification even though my set up currently works I think these ideas posted will make it even better especially when using flasher mode.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:03 AM »
4x4Dad, is the transducer hanging straight down for you? That it the problem I have had in the past...

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:50 AM »
You have to move the cooler a little bit due to the stiffness in the cable until it sits where you want it . Exp , my daughter and I were fishing out of holes 3 ft. apart in 18.5 ft. of water . She said she couldn't see her bait on the finder , so I moved the cooler slightly counterclockwise till the transducer tilted towards her hole and instantly she could see her bait jigging on the screen . I was also thinking of building a little wooden X to place over the transducer hole to help adjustment of the cable when you need the cooler farther away . I tried to post an image from last time I was fishing , but IMAGING doesn't seem to be working . ? ? OK , it worked fine that time . Also , I noticed a positive difference in battery power over time by placing a hand warmer on the battery .

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:43 AM »
TackleDirect sells them under $100 and they ship quick. I bought one in December and highly recommend it. No more minor adjustments to get the transducer just right.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Wow ! That's the best price I've seen yet !

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Due to some early gift giving to myself and a lack of updating my amazon wish list I have 2 striker 4 units.  I bought the portable pack with the striker 4, soft case, battery, and suction cup transducer.  I realized that I wouldn't be happy until I had the ice transducer too, so I ordered it before we even had ice.  For Christmas my parents gave me a striker 4 unit that is intended for use in a boat.  I built a box out of plywood for the new striker and then built a battery out of salvaged 18650 cells.  I used the portable transducer on this unit.  I can compare the two transducers as I've used them side by side.  The portable transducer works if you just hang it in the hole.  I used it yesterday like this and we ate fish for dinner.  It would be very serviceable if it was not for the stiff pvc insulation in the transducer cable.  If it was silicone like the ice transducer it would be just fine.  In 27 fow yesterday I spend a bit of time futzing with the transducer due to the stiff wire.   I know the cone angles are supposed to be slightly different between the two but that is not what I notice most.  I think I am going to order another ice transducer for the second striker.  Not to start another "discussion" about flasher vs graph, but I also had my fl8se serviced by vexilar this year.  It stays in the truck and I take the Garmin.  Even the garmin with the portable transducer is prefered to the Vexilar.  I foresee a 5 or 7 striker in the my future. 

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Due to some early gift giving to myself and a lack of updating my amazon wish list I have 2 striker 4 units.  I bought the portable pack with the striker 4, soft case, battery, and suction cup transducer.  I realized that I wouldn't be happy until I had the ice transducer too, so I ordered it before we even had ice.  For Christmas my parents gave me a striker 4 unit that is intended for use in a boat.  I built a box out of plywood for the new striker and then built a battery out of salvaged 18650 cells.  I used the portable transducer on this unit.  I can compare the two transducers as I've used them side by side.  The portable transducer works if you just hang it in the hole.  I used it yesterday like this and we ate fish for dinner.  It would be very serviceable if it was not for the stiff pvc insulation in the transducer cable.  If it was silicone like the ice transducer it would be just fine.  In 27 fow yesterday I spend a bit of time futzing with the transducer due to the stiff wire.   I know the cone angles are supposed to be slightly different between the two but that is not what I notice most.  I think I am going to order another ice transducer for the second striker.  Not to start another "discussion" about flasher vs graph, but I also had my fl8se serviced by vexilar this year.  It stays in the truck and I take the Garmin.  Even the garmin with the portable transducer is prefered to the Vexilar.  I foresee a 5 or 7 striker in the my future.

In an attempt to get ready for some kayak fishing during the upcoming Spring/Summer/Fall, I have been running a Garmin 43dv echoMap Chirp with the GT8 ice ducer this year along side my Vex FLX-28 so I can get familiar with the workings of it.  I have played around with the Garmin quite a bit in an attempt to get it "optimized" to my liking - highly recommend turning on the A-Scope feature - but for on the ice I still prefer the Vex when it comes down to it.  I can dial in the FLX-28 to "see" my baits on the lures I use - i.e. waxie on a jig / minnow head on a spoon - and just can't get there with my Garmin.  I like the cleaner look the flasher offers and the response rate seems to be faster with the Vex, although the A-Scope feature helps minimize that difference, but again, it's not as clean as the Vex.  With that said, the Garmin definitely has a lot of additional features included that the Vex doesn't have that make these Striker and echoMap units a great buy and definitely worth getting.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:06 PM »
.... but now I just have it mounted on an old tip-up frame.
Yup, that's what I do, too.  Works just fine.  I had an old 6-pack cooler that was long and skinny for stacking cans in (made for a golf bag, actually).  I put the tip-up/transducer in that when it's not in a hole so that the 'ducer doesn't get damaged.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2022, 06:50 PM »
Here is how I set up my boat transducer . Also , the cooler is a Coleman Model 6209 . Batter is Yausa NP 7 - 12 with 7 Amp hours . The cooler has a divider slot molded in to it's walls . I just slipped a piece of heavy cardboard into the slot to keep the battery from sliding around . Everything fits in very nicely . Oh , I also heated up a nail and melted a small access slot in the cooler rim for the power & transducer cables when in use .

Hi there,

I'm super late to party and I know this is a VERY long shot. I just wanted to see if 4x4Dad can share his build with me as I am trying to build something similar for the transducer on my Garmin Striker Plus 4. Thank you so much in advance!!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2022, 07:13 PM »

I'm super late to party and I know this is a VERY long shot. I just wanted to see if 4x4Dad can share his build with me as I am trying to build something similar for the transducer on my Garmin Striker Plus 4. Thank you so much in advance!!

You don't actually need to build anything to get the standard transducer to work if you have the transom mount bracket that comes with the unit.  Take the mounting bracket for the transducer and put it on backwards. Then adjust the angle so that it acts as a stopper against the cord so when you are holding the the transducer by the cord the bracket rides on the cord and the transducer hangs level.  Then all you need is a 99 cent piece of pipe insulation or pool noodle and a couple zip ties to make a float.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2022, 07:15 PM »
My bro in law rigs it up the same way and it works great.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2022, 08:29 AM »
You don't actually need to build anything to get the standard transducer to work if you have the transom mount bracket that comes with the unit.  Take the mounting bracket for the transducer and put it on backwards. Then adjust the angle so that it acts as a stopper against the cord so when you are holding the the transducer by the cord the bracket rides on the cord and the transducer hangs level.  Then all you need is a 99 cent piece of pipe insulation or pool noodle and a couple zip ties to make a float.

Something like this?

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2022, 08:44 AM »

If you don't mind, do you have a picture of your built? Just want to make sure I get this right. Thank you for all the trouble in advance!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:13 AM »
I use the transom mount with a zip tie to balance it. Works ok, but a dedicated ice ducer is definitely better

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.