Author Topic: Garmin Ice Transducer  (Read 25084 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin Ice Transducer
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2022, 02:10 PM »
Something like this?

Yep, but now that dude mentioned it a ziptie would work and have a lot less bulk.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2022, 03:53 PM »
I use the transom mount with a zip tie to balance it. Works ok, but a dedicated ice ducer is definitely better

Yes, but having a build that works would save us at least $70, more if you have the parts sitting in your garage/storage  :)

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2022, 11:52 AM »
Yep, but now that dude mentioned it a ziptie would work and have a lot less bulk.

Somebody mentioned zip tie to stabilize the angle and a float - pipe insulation or pool noodle (where can I get it in snowy winter months?). Not sure how I would tie it because Google image showed a different model transducer  ???

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2022, 12:10 PM »
This came up the other day on reddit, someone shared the ebay link to a guy who 3d prints his own mounts for very cheap, and reported to be very effective

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363236661131?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6qVxkWpYSOm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cbgFKjKHQM6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2022, 12:46 PM »
This came up the other day on reddit, someone shared the ebay link to a guy who 3d prints his own mounts for very cheap, and reported to be very effective

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363236661131?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6qVxkWpYSOm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cbgFKjKHQM6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I saw that and wondering how it would work out, but I would definitely check this out. Thanks!

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2022, 12:51 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=294143.0

Problem is my transducer cable is on the back side vs the front like the one shown....

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Problem is my transducer cable is on the back side vs the front like the one shown....

Loop the cable ..place a zip tip...loosely but snug on/in the loop ...then place a zip tie in the loop and around the front of the the transducer ..can you remove or reposition that mount any

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 25, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Loop the cable ..place a zip tip...loosely but snug on/in the loop ...then place a zip tie in the loop and around the front of the the transducer ..can you remove or reposition that mount any

Thanks for the insight dude! I would definitely try it when I get home. How just need to test out how good the pipe insulation float when it's tied to a transducer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Thanks for the insight dude! I would definitely try it when I get home. How just need to test out how good the pipe insulation float when it's tied to a transducer

This is probably a better option ..keep thing neat n tidy

https://www.scheels.com/p/vexilar-replacement-float-with-stopper/05276202000.html?store=&src=hardlines&msclkid=8636a4528001177b08efc7fa29e404a3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping&utm_term=4585100934539074&utm_content=Bing%20Shopping_24%20-%20Ice%20Fishing

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2022, 04:00 PM »
That's a great idea, I have never used a Vexilar float before so I wonder how that works...

It is EZPZ and removable and has a stopper, The stopper stays on the cable so not to get lost ( Hint :got to add it from the plug end )

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 25, 2022, 07:48 PM »
It is EZPZ and removable and has a stopper, The stopper stays on the cable so not to get lost ( Hint :got to add it from the plug end )

Let me get one and try it out. Seems more logical that way if it works since it's not THAT expensive

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:11 AM »

I finally went to Fleet Farm and grabbed the float and here's the end product. I opt to keep the mount on so I don't have to worry about the transducer sitting straight in the water. Let me know what you think.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:28 AM »
It looks like it would work ...my concern is there is a lot of stuff to get hooked up on ...could be a cause for lost fish ...especially in skinny ice .

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:50 AM »
I finally went to Fleet Farm and grabbed the float and here's the end product. I opt to keep the mount on so I don't have to worry about the transducer sitting straight in the water. Let me know what you think.

Looks like it should work, but if you're going to be sitting in one spot drill two holes right next to each other fishfinder in one jigging in the other.  Also ice transducers are weighted so that might be a bit more float than you need.  If it ends up with a bunch of it above water you can trim it down to save bulk.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:57 AM »
It looks like it would work ...my concern is there is a lot of stuff to get hooked up on ...could be a cause for lost fish ...especially in skinny ice .

I was okay with my previous build which was bulkier than now. I switched was because I don't want to carry too much and with this new build I can just grab the float and take it out of the water faster.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:59 AM »
Looks like it should work, but if you're going to be sitting in one spot drill two holes right next to each other fishfinder in one jigging in the other.  Also ice transducers are weighted so that might be a bit more float than you need.  If it ends up with a bunch of it above water you can trim it down to save bulk.

That's what I was planning - drill two holes. With the weight being larger, would it affect the way it sits in the water or is it just the cosmetics part of it? If so I can either cut it down or put the PVC connector back on the mount to add weight

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 27, 2022, 09:02 AM »
manfromibiak   any pictures of your shuttle/ice pack/transport ?

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2022, 09:20 AM »
manfromibiak   any pictures of your shuttle/ice pack/transport ?

This was my original plan but after taking the device out for a test drive I am leaning towards getting a igloo 9 qt cooler as a new build. The case isn't design to have that much cable to be stored inside  :P

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2022, 09:33 AM »
If you coil and zip tie the cable leaving 5 ft handy you should be able to manage it with that case . Another suggestion is to purchase a Vexilar Transducer Arm...and mount to that screw on the units right side . This can be accomplished by getting a piece of PVC pipe sthe same diameter as the attaching point of the Vexilar Arm ...add/glue an end cap to the PVC pipe and drill a hole add a bolt.  this will give you some good options ..especially in skinny ice ...remove the float and place the stopper in the notch ..this will give you lots of room in the hole ..especially if placed in the back of the hole ..noting that keeping the transducer level is paramount

https://store.vexilar.com/transducer-support-arm.html

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2022, 09:34 AM »
With the weight being larger, would it affect the way it sits in the water or is it just the cosmetics part of it?

Honestly the best way to answer that is to just fill up a 5gal bucket with water and see if everything looks good.  It could potentially tip to the side a bit if there's too much of it sticking out.

That sonar bag is a lot nicer setup than a cooler.  I'd just take the transducer cable and loop the excess back over on itself to make flat circle, use a couple twist ties to hold the shape, and stick it between the base and the bottom of the bag.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2022, 02:56 PM »
If you coil and zip tie the cable leaving 5 ft handy you should be able to manage it with that case . Another suggestion is to purchase a Vexilar Transducer Arm...and mount to that screw on the units right side . This can be accomplished by getting a piece of PVC pipe sthe same diameter as the attaching point of the Vexilar Arm ...add/glue an end cap to the PVC pipe and drill a hole add a bolt.  this will give you some good options ..especially in skinny ice ...remove the float and place the stopper in the notch ..this will give you lots of room in the hole ..especially if placed in the back of the hole ..noting that keeping the transducer level is paramount

https://store.vexilar.com/transducer-support-arm.html

So keep the foam and add the transducer arm? Speaking of, it does have a place with a screw on to add some sort of arm on there I suspected, now it makes sense that you mentioned transducer arm

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 27, 2022, 03:00 PM »
Honestly the best way to answer that is to just fill up a 5gal bucket with water and see if everything looks good.  It could potentially tip to the side a bit if there's too much of it sticking out.

That sonar bag is a lot nicer setup than a cooler.  I'd just take the transducer cable and loop the excess back over on itself to make flat circle, use a couple twist ties to hold the shape, and stick it between the base and the bottom of the bag.

I will have to plan this as I have the float to deal with... But I will test out the float first to see where it leads me

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 27, 2022, 03:07 PM »

This was my original plan but after taking the device out for a test drive I am leaning towards getting a igloo 9 qt cooler as a new build. The case isn't design to have that much cable to be stored inside  :P

All the cable will fit in the case, it has arms on the right side to wrap it around.

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 27, 2022, 04:40 PM »
All the cable will fit in the case, it has arms on the right side to wrap it around.

Arm? I don't see any arms...  ???

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Arm? I don't see any arms...  ???

Can you wrap the cable around the the handle arms ?

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2022, 05:08 PM »
This is probably a better option ..keep thing neat n tidy

https://www.scheels.com/p/vexilar-replacement-float-with-stopper/05276202000.html?store=&src=hardlines&msclkid=8636a4528001177b08efc7fa29e404a3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping&utm_term=4585100934539074&utm_content=Bing%20Shopping_24%20-%20Ice%20Fishing

This works a lot better than I anticipated! Thanks for the suggestion! I just need to get creative on the cable part and I'm set to go ice fishing (my Milwaukee M18 drill just got delivered today!). Thanks again everyone who helped me with the build!!

Offline manfromibiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2022, 05:09 PM »
Can you wrap the cable around the the handle arms ?

Negative, but I can see if I can utilize the pockets on the side of the bag since I have no use of it really

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.