Author Topic: deadsticking: Bobber vs Rod Tip  (Read 5778 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: deadsticking: Bobber vs Rod Tip
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:01 AM »
A couple of things to do to prevent the slip bobber knot from slipping away.  First have the rods with big eye and ceramic inserts, avoid the fly line single wire (snake guides are awesome for slips) or those titanium recoil wire guides.  That small wire tends to hit the knot and catch more.  Second make sure you have a reel with a big wide line roller, not the type with a precision line groove on.  The knot catching and getting caught the line roller is bad.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2020, 10:14 AM »
I have a problem with slip knots not allowing the line to flow off the reel when I want it to free fall with a light jig.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2020, 11:03 PM »
For those that use slip bobbers, how do you keep the line marker in place when reeling in a fish? Seems like I always have to reset the knot after reeling in a fish with any heft to it and it really slows things down, especially fishing deeper.
For the stop material I have had good luck with 20lb. fly backing or the dacron black tip up line in 20 lb. I tie my knots on to the line and leave long tag ends to tighten with. I tighten them once, then move the slide, tighten again.........do this three times and have had good luck with that method. I also have a jigger made from a BBQ rotisserie, so not a true deadstick because there is some movement. It lifts the lure about 6" releases and then has a pause of about 8 seconds or so and then rises again

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:17 AM »
If I got a dead stick it’s on a jawjacker
Come on fish!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:22 AM »
I used to tie my own bobber stops from chartreuse or pink mason's line to save money. They were a pain to tie and slipped occasionally. Now, I just use the Rod-n-Bob's with a bead. I no longer have to steal coffee stir straws from restaurants.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2024, 04:05 PM »
I thought I'd give this a kick to the top as it's a subject that I am quite interested in. I use  slip bobbers quite a bit. I fish out in the open so those with a hole thru the middle do not work well. There are various clip-on bobbers on the market, mostly cheap little foamy jobbies. The kind shown in the pic is a bit more sturdy and can be used if you bend the clip a bit.

I use them on my active line because the smaller lakers we tend to catch are finicky eaters. I ignore the little twitches and small up-and-down motions, then wait for it to submerge before setting the hook. If I went by tugs(feel) rather than sight I'd be pulling the bait from its mouth.   

For better visibility I put either a plastic straw or another piece of foam on the top of the bobber when using it on my set line. I find that slip floats are more of an advantage on the set line than the active line because I can suspend the bait above the bottom and fish with an open bail. Too many times I have seen the float go down and the rod start to bend but the fish gets unhooked before I get to the line. I don't think they hook very well on their own. They need a fisherman to 'help them out'😁

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2024, 04:36 PM »
I like to use an adjustable slip bobber set so the tip is barely above the surface. It is easily pulled under by a fish and if it is an upward bite, the bobber will rise and lay flat on the surface. Sometimes I use a tall "icehouse bobber" weighted so it is easily pulled under and is easily visible from a distance.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:12 PM »
I use a bait feeder reel and light 28 in light fast tip rod works for pike and walleyes and perch perfect for live bait . I use the same  reels on my autos for the salmon in the harbors on lake Michigan when they freeze up .

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:34 PM »
Deadstick 100%
Most times a UL noodle for panies
Heavier for walters, but plenty of flex

" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2024, 11:54 PM »
I used to use those venom floats with great success - when adjusted right, so they barely float, fish don't feel a thing.  It has been a few years...and now I seem to go primarily with spring bobbers.  However, when windy the float is better to detect subtle perch bites.  I'm going to try the float again.  It is a little harder in 40 feet of water but can be done.  And I like the BOTH/AND suggestion very much.

s

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2024, 06:56 PM »
I like to use an adjustable slip bobber set so the tip is barely above the surface. It is easily pulled under by a fish and if it is an upward bite, the bobber will rise and lay flat on the surface. Sometimes I use a tall "icehouse bobber" weighted so it is easily pulled under and is easily visible from a distance.

I usually use a clip on foam type with not much excess floatation. I just showed that red and white one in case somebody was looking for an alternative to the foam ones. For visibility on my set line I have used a very small dia , about 1/16", wooden stick painted red that adds very little extra floatation. As long as the plastic straw is not a tight fit it doesn't add much floatation either.

I looked up your 'ice house bobber' as I had never seen those before. They look quite nifty.

SHOE---what are those Venom floats? thx

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2024, 08:21 PM »
Venom Floats are the only truly adjustable foam float on the market. By simply sliding the foam up or down, you can change the buoyancy to adapt.

Venom Floats can be set at exact neutral buoyancy, creating minimal resistance for finicky fish. This adjustment capability makes the Venom Float the most sensitive bobber available. Its just what you need for light bites.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:27 PM »
I have used the same technique. The only difference being I attach a red and white round plastic bobber using a small loop, so when I set the hook on a laker, the bobber will come off and I don’t have to fiddle with it to get it off the line. Works for me!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2024, 08:33 AM »
SHOE---what are those Venom floats? thx

https://www.venom-outdoors.com/product-page/venom-floats
Scheels has them, too...I think.

s

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2024, 11:39 AM »
 I just use a small foam slip bobber with just enough split shot for neutral buoyancy. Enough so the minnow can pull it down but not out of the hole!! Scares the heck out of you when a snot rocket come flying through!!  :woot:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2024, 12:07 PM »
I don't use bobbers ice fishing much anymore, but when I do, I use the glow tip Northlands cut down to where they are just barely buoyant... a fish even farts on it and it's down.

https://www.fishusa.com/Northland-Lite-Bite-Ice-Float/?sku=191606&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJawhLHOgwMVtTGtBh3ogwE9EAQYASABEgIlkvD_BwE

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2024, 12:11 PM »
If I got a dead stick it’s on a jawjacker

x2
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2024, 09:35 PM »
A couple of things to do to prevent the slip bobber knot from slipping away.  First have the rods with big eye and ceramic inserts, avoid the fly line single wire (snake guides are awesome for slips) or those titanium recoil wire guides.  That small wire tends to hit the knot and catch more.  Second make sure you have a reel with a big wide line roller, not the type with a precision line groove on.  The knot catching and getting caught the line roller is bad.

I use rubber football type of stops that are much less prone to slipping except on my Shimano reels. they have a line groove and the stop gets stuck. I find that waxed dental floss tied around the line works quite well. 

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2024, 06:18 PM »
Yeah, but how do you reel it up if you are fishing in 40 feet of water?
With a slip bobber Your bobber stop could be set at 38 ft. Your slip bobber will keep sliding up you line as you reel it in . Ending up near your hook.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2024, 06:23 PM »
I prefer to use my Shooly rods With the spool slightly loose. & the peg inserted with several wraps of line over the peg. I modified my schooly rods with a stick across the front of the handle. So the fish cannot pull them down the hole. Many times ill see the butt sticking up & the other half of the rod is in the hole.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2024, 07:23 PM »
Pencil style slip bobber always, less resistance.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2024, 09:01 PM »
The only time I ever use a deadstick is with a small fathead crappie minnow for crappies. Any other time I consider it a waste of what could be a tip up. Even for walleye and such, I'd rather have a rod on a finicky fooler. I consider FF's and jawjackers tip ups. I guess to really answer the question, with a true deadstick by my side, it is always a slip bobber. I too love the foam bobbers cut to barely float.
-Tom

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:17 PM »
For the stop material I have had good luck with 20lb. fly backing or the dacron black tip up line in 20 lb. I tie my knots on to the line and leave long tag ends to tighten with. I tighten them once, then move the slide, tighten again.........do this three times and have had good luck with that method. I also have a jigger made from a BBQ rotisserie, so not a true deadstick because there is some movement. It lifts the lure about 6" releases and then has a pause of about 8 seconds or so and then rises again
(Image removed from quote.)

Hi TTPH---if you are still tuned in I'd like to see more details on that set-up. I guess that is a rotisserie motor mounted so that it moves the rod, but how?  thx

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:16 AM »
when I use a dead stick in my shanty , its a quill bobber with a speed stop with a bead .
the speed stop works with out slipping on fine lines ,lace it thru twice still adjustable .
the quill bobber ride upright so you can watch it slowly decend or quickly disappear
I use slip shot to adjust the weight for correct buoyancy .
this way I can change it for what ever im fishing for .
most of the tie I run a tip-up thou
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:44 PM »
I don't think the excess buoyancy matters very much. Here is a pic from a few days ago taken by a friend of mine who introduced me to slip floats for ice fishing. As you can see, he is using fairly big. commonly avail, bobbers. The results speak for themselves. He does quite well with the fish, better than most people l know from another website. Certainly out fishes my buddies and I whenever we are there together.

I worked out the buoyancy of a 3/8" dia float 1" long(i.e. having 1" excess buoyancy) and it is about 1/16 of an ounce.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:43 PM »
What did you guys prefer for your deadstick setup? I've always preferred a slip bobber to allow light biting fish to really get ahold of the bait, but I see a lot of guys going with just a soft tipped rod.

Why do you prefer the method you use?

I prefer using Tip Downs vs a deadstick.  Much easier to see at a distance and much better for catching fish..

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 13, 2024, 09:27 PM »
Venom floats can be tweaked so that they're absolutely neutrally buoyant. The slightest nips, up or down, are registered

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Mar 13, 2024, 10:22 PM »
It’s been four years since I last posted on this thread.  I have since acquired a Jason Mitchell dead meat stick and done away with bobbers completely.  I actually lost a rod down the hole a couple of years ago, due to one of those cheap red wire rod holders and had to buy a new rod and reel.  I built a plywood rod holder with a hole drilled in the base that I can secure to the ice with an Eskimo anchor.  Now it doesn’t go anywhere.  The rod tip is super sensitive and fluorescent.  I will probably never go back to bobbers again.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #58 on: Mar 14, 2024, 11:08 AM »
Welcome back, Wyogator.  Things have slowed down on here this year even when there was ice. 

Good idea on the deadstick.  Now get an Okuma baitfeeder reel and you'll really be pleased. 

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 14, 2024, 11:48 AM »
Switched all my deadsticks to a JM Dead Meat rods. I like the action on that tip - you can see it twitch if you have a nibble, and gives plenty of time to grab the rod.  If I am in an area where there are large walleye, I will either open the bale or left off the drag.  Mainly just use a venom float as the bobber when sauger are biting. 

Am looking at the bait feeder option for reels, but haven't popped on those yet.  Seen a lot of videos of guys using them and they work. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.