Author Topic: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!  (Read 155992 times)

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!
« Reply #180 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:23 AM »
Closed...  Need the tension to set the hook.

Offline Hilts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:04 PM »
A quick tip for adjust-ability on the pre-load of the rod... use a rope about the diameter of a shoe lace and pick up some of the spring clamp deals you find on the stings of a jacket hood.  Attach the rope to your rod holder, loop it through your trigger with the spring clamp in between.

Now you have infinite adjustments on the pre-load for different baits, species, and/or rod lengths.

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:59 AM »
That is a good idea but then how am I going to adjust my hood?

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:04 AM »
Got another question for you experts out there.   After fishing catching a couple fish with my automatic hook setter, I sometimes have a problem of the trigger freezing to the rod eyelet, causing excessive trigger pull for it to release.  This happens because every time it goes off, the trigger falls in the water and then it freezes to the eyelet.  Should I dry off the trigger every time??  I really don't want to do that, should I lube it every time?   I really don't want to do that either.   Is there something that I can coat the trigger and eyelet with that will resist freeze ups?  Maybe a coating that is water repellant and slippery like a Teflon? 

Let me know if anyone has the magical answer for my dilemma.  Thanks guys

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:17 AM »
great trigger design, incorporated it into my device that "slams'em"  Much more sensitive and adjustable
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #185 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:29 AM »
That is a good idea but then how am I going to adjust my hood?

You want too much LOL.
<===Lefty===

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:15 AM »
Is there something that I can coat the trigger and eyelet with that will resist freeze ups?  Maybe a coating that is water repellant and slippery like a Teflon? 

Try some furniture polish, cooking spray or water repellent like wax, bear grease, sno-seal etc.  I have some old X-country ski wax I'm going to try
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Try some furniture polish, cooking spray or water repellent like wax, bear grease, sno-seal etc.  I have some old X-country ski wax I'm going to try

Perfect, probably the only thing I have at the house is Vaseline.    I suppose I can go get some wax.   Thanks

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Got another question for you experts out there.   After fishing catching a couple fish with my automatic hook setter, I sometimes have a problem of the trigger freezing to the rod eyelet, causing excessive trigger pull for it to release.  This happens because every time it goes off, the trigger falls in the water and then it freezes to the eyelet.  Should I dry off the trigger every time??  I really don't want to do that, should I lube it every time?   I really don't want to do that either.   Is there something that I can coat the trigger and eyelet with that will resist freeze ups?  Maybe a coating that is water repellant and slippery like a Teflon? 

Just read through the whole post, as I've been thinking about building or buying a few jackers. Now I think I'm gonna start tinkering. But wondering if a guy put some sort of oil base fish sent on the trigger, maybe that would help with freezing and help things slide smoother????

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #189 on: Feb 21, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Throw a can of vaseline in your sled and rub that on your trigger/eye. It will keep it from freezing up. A can of pam cooking spray in your pocket would also work, but you will have to shoot it after every reset.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Mar 05, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I will definetly be making some! Thanks for  all the great ideas everyone!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #191 on: Mar 06, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Good idea.  How do you adjust your rod tension and how did you construct your rod holder?  Thanks.

Offline mr. maloonigins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Mar 16, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Went with one of the other triggers on this trip and they worked great, Just have to watch the water freezing up on them after dark. Hooked a few pup lakers no prob

(Image removed from quote.)

I made one just like this the other night.  I got to use it for the first time this morning.  I set it up, set up a couple other things, heard it snap, turned around... all that was there was the rod holder.  I guess I forgot to set my drag properly.  Lost my rod and reel.   :%$#!:  I feel worse about the fish that is now swimming around with a rod hanging off of it's mouth than I do about losing the rod.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #193 on: Apr 22, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Great thread, I used my buddies jawjacker twice this year and was amazed by it but for the price of them, making my own is the way to go!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:56 PM »
ilarcher, I have these same rod holders and I thought about using them but I worried about the rod falling out once the unit goes off.  Thus why I think it would be better to do a similar thing from a coil spring rod holder.  Please let me know when you use this on the ice if you have the problem of the rod falling out of the rod holder.

This is what I did to correct the problem with mine.

Here it is set up

And one shot of my trigger

It seems to work well but I can't get it to set up as light as my actual automatic fisherman. I will have to go use it and see if it is actually is an issue.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #195 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Howdy MassNtrash, Before you use your nice set-up, may I help with three modifications that will lighten the effort of the fish to fire your rig ?

1st and most important, the wire in the top eyelet of the rod, if bent toward the rod, about 1/8" to 3/32"  will help ease the "pull". Be very careful in doing this. Tool marks will create a notch and that's not wanted. It will not be smooth firing.     When setting, only use the upper 1/8" through the eyelet.      If you shorten that wire by 1/2 it's length, you should get better results.

2nd thing that will help, is reducing the distance, from the swivel out to the wire you just bent. This will make it more of a "hair" trigger.

3rd. You could  increase the distance from the swivel to the "line loop", thus, giving the fish more leverage.

Let us know how this goes, please.    ;)2

PS:  May need  another wire, good luck.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #196 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of doing those things as well. This was just a first run and it isn't to heavy right now and it should work for trout at least. I may make another one to use for perch.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:58 PM »
I have been tinkering with these triggers for a while and I found that by using a small round file to cut a notch in the wire will give you a hair trigger,my notch is cut at an upward angle and hooks onto the eye of the rod,also the notch will not work with eyes that have the centers in them the eye must be just the metal kind,like on a fly rod,you will have to tinker with it to get it how you want but thats the fun in making them

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:34 PM »
I made a few more triggers today. Played around with a few different ideas that I have had ended up with one I feel will work well. It releases with less of a pull than previous ones I've made but it is still secure when setting it. We will have to see I plan on putting them to the test on Thursday.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #199 on: Dec 11, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Holly Cow Batmat for a mere $130 you could have one of these. I got to say it is the best I have seen for home made.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Fishing-Rod-Holder-Trout-automatically-sets-your-hook-Tip-up-Gear-/251356909613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a860a102d
Everyone here needs to get out to the shop and get busy now. This is pretty slick.
<===Lefty===

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #200 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:23 PM »
I got mine on the ice for the first time today. I managed to catch 6 fish off of it! Lots more missed though, I think the main cause of the misses was I was using too bit of a hook. It was a number six worm hook that I had tied up using a drop shot rig. Do you guys have any suggestions? The ones that I did get were perfectly hooked.

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:53 AM »

This is what I did to correct the problem with mine.

Here it is set up

And one shot of my trigger

It seems to work well but I can't get it to set up as light as my actual automatic fisherman. I will have to go use it and see if it is actually is an issue.
So I made one of these and fished with success yesterday until a catfish pulled the entire thing through my 8" hole. MAKE SURE your rig is wider than your hole. I won't be making this mistake again.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Tendril77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:34 PM »
Awesome thread guys!!!  ;D I am going to make two of these ASAP!
Ice fishing = #1, getting out of the house, #2 Having a beer or two with good conversation, #3 Catching fish, & #4 Getting out of the house, Did I mention #5? It is getting out of the house.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #203 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:55 PM »
The paperclip works great.  I even use it during the spring/summer when I drift fish off my yak
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Catfish Killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Gotta go make a couple

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #205 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:40 AM »
great work everyone!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline chefman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #206 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Cant wait to make a few of my own!!!! :tipup:

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:10 PM »
You all have been fantastic on modifying and revamping these!  I didn't get to fish last year due to shoulder surgery so I really never even checked iceshanty.  All of the new postings last year are awesome.  Got out my gear and can't wait to fire it up again.  Keep the ideas coming.  Happy Hard Water!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #208 on: Nov 13, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Welcome back, bquick !

Thanks for resurrecting this Jewel of yours !     ;)2

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:03 AM »
haha! Thanks for the welcome back! It's good to have a season of fishing to look forward to instead of just recovery from surgery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.