Author Topic: Quiet Fans for Permanent Ice Shack???  (Read 8048 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quiet Fans for Permanent Ice Shack???
« on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Good day party people,

I need some recommendations for fans that are not loud that will redistribute the heat from the ceiling to the floor of my wheel house.  I have been using small 12V computer fans, but they do not seem to move as much air as I would like and have quite the annoying drone when running.

Looking for any practical advice or experience.

d1

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Quiet Fans for Permanent Ice Shack???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Some use 12v ceiling fans. Depends on ceiling height I would imagine.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline HodakaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I bought one of these.
http://fishhousesupply.com/12-volt-computer-fan/
It's a computer fan, but a larger one. I mounted it to a ram mount so I can aim it where I want. My shack is 6.5'x12' and I mounted it over the wall heater. It seems to work well and isn't as loud as my dad's ceiling fan.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I bought one of these.
http://fishhousesupply.com/12-volt-computer-fan/
It's a computer fan, but a larger one. I mounted it to a ram mount so I can aim it where I want. My shack is 6.5'x12' and I mounted it over the wall heater. It seems to work well and isn't as loud as my dad's ceiling fan.

I will check out that fan.  I really like the RAM mount idea, thanks for sharing.

d1

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:16 PM »
I have a 6.5' x12' wheelhouse and I use two 80mm computer fans which do a good job of moving air. I don't feel a breeze from them like you do with some fans. In another wheelhouse I used a 12v fan like you see in truck cabs and on low it was too noisy and had too much air flow.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2017, 09:41 AM »
I found a 200mm fan I am going to try.  Its decibel level is advertised as just as quiet as the 1/2 size smaller computer fans I am currently using.  We will see...

--------------------------------

I did have a related question.  Which way do you guys mount the fans?  What I mean by that, is do you mount the blades so they push are toward the floor or toward the ceiling. 

If you have a typical ceiling fan in the living room of your house, in the winter time, the blades are suppose to turn clockwise to pull the cool air from the floor up and also at the same time disperse the warm air at the ceiling throughout the room. 

Does the same concept apply to our ice shacks or does the smaller square footage make this concept negligible?

d1

Offline hockeynut12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2017, 10:09 AM »
I use this in my shack :https://clancysoutdoors.com/products-page/12-volt-accessories/12-volt-fan/

I like to walk on water.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I did have a related question.  Which way do you guys mount the fans?  What I mean by that, is do you mount the blades so they push are toward the floor or toward the ceiling. 

If you have a typical ceiling fan in the living room of your house, in the winter time, the blades are suppose to turn clockwise to pull the cool air from the floor up and also at the same time disperse the warm air at the ceiling throughout the room. 
Does the same concept apply to our ice shacks or does the smaller square footage make this concept negligible?
d1
the idea behind it is to have a wind chill affect in summer mode and not so much in winter mode.
the only fan i use is designed to blow downward or directional.

don't forget about the fan speed controllers you can add.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I use this in my shack :https://clancysoutdoors.com/products-page/12-volt-accessories/12-volt-fan/

I would have to be a foot shorter in order to use that fan in my shack  ;D.  I like the premise though.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2017, 11:26 AM »
I have a direct vent heater so the heat rises. I have two 80mm fans so one blows angled down toward the floor in the front and the other blows angled  down toward the floor in the back. I also have one I made portable so I can move it wherever using a 12v flasher battery. It works well in my porty if I want it there. I have seen a wheel house in which the owner had installed plastic residential downspouts with a computer fan mounted at the top of each one to blow warm air to the floor. My two fans seem to circulate the heated air well for me. At times the window across from the heater ices up during the night with the curtains closed so I put my portable fan on top of the heater blowing blowing directly at it until it clears. I left them on when I left my wheel house on the ice one Saturday and found them still running when I returned on Thursday. I started my generator and the batteries were fully charged in about five minutes. Current draw is very small with these fans.

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Mounted one in my shack in the bottom of a 90 elbow in 4 inch sewer pipe that reaches to the eve of the shack...the thin walled stuff. Seems to work good but I've not tried it on the ice yet.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Mounted one in my shack in the bottom of a 90 elbow in 4 inch sewer pipe that reaches to the eve of the shack...the thin walled stuff. Seems to work good but I've not tried it on the ice yet.

So the fan was mounted at the ceiling (in the 90* elbow) that pushed air through a straight pipe down to the floor?  I am having a hard time visualizing what you have constructed.

d1

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2017, 09:07 PM »
 defiant1 sounds like he's got a deer feeder with a fan in it sucking the hot air off the ceiling down to the floor.

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Uncle Al, you pretty much nailed it. The fan is at the bottom of the pipe pulling the warm air down and pushing it across the floor.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Defiant,
Not sure if you're still subscribed to the thread, but wondering how that 200mm fan worked?  And maybe some more detailed info (or a link) on where i could get the same one?

Thanks.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Defiant,
Not sure if you're still subscribed to the thread, but wondering how that 200mm fan worked?  And maybe some more detailed info (or a link) on where i could get the same one?

Thanks.

I went with 3 of these.  They do have a slight drone.  But maybe if I was just running one, it would be better.  They do distribute the heat and keep the floor dry, though.

Noctua NF-A20 FLX Premium-Quality Quiet 200mm Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071PFLMFT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dRVHCbP8MCGMK

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Thanks Defiant for the quick reply.  I myself put together a couple ceiling to floor pipes 5 or 6 years ago, but I think I used some 80mm fans I pulled out of old computers laying around.  They worked OK, but have read since that bigger fans would give more expected results. 

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:29 PM »
I've tried a smaller, quieter computer fan and was not happy with the results. Sure, it was quiet but it didn't move any air. I switched to a larger 6" 1.3A fan and it blows way too much air. I had to add a rheostat to it to slow it down and now I keep it at about 25-30% of full speed and it works great. Still has a bit of background noise but it moves just the right amount of air. I also added some duct work from the ceiling to the floor.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Thanks again to you two for your recent responses.  My current fans are 80mm that I'm going to upgrade.  I currently have  fans on both ends...one sucking air in at the ceiling, and one shooting it out at the bottom.  I figured two must be better than one on each duct stack?? ......maybe my logic isn't coorrect as one might be fighting the other a little?  I wonder if I went back to one fan if it would perform best to be only at the ceiling or only at the floor?

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I've used the one fan at the floor for two years now. It works and definitely aids in getting heat to the floor. I am building another shack this summer and I'm going to try putting the fan at the top blowing down the pvc instead of at the floor. The fan I am using runs faster as it gets warmer. Thus it takes quite a while for the heat to get to the floor and kick the fan up to do it's job. My thinking is that the heat as it rises will hit the fan quicker and fire it up sooner to get the heat on my feet quicker!  Top and bottom isn't a bad idea in my opinion.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:47 AM »
I have two of these cabin fans in my permy one on the celing by the door and the other behind the wood stove to distribute the heat.
They have a three way switch low/ off/hi , on low they do a much better job that the two computer fans i had ganged together .
I found them at a truck supply store , meant for the cab of large trucks.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:15 PM »
I guess I really never thought about it usually I have to open the door in my shack because it gets to damn hot lol.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.