Author Topic: Dillion Reservoir  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dillion Reservoir
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Hey guys, I've been skiing summit county since I could stand and this year I'm thinking about tossing my auger in my ski bag and bringing some rods and maybe my vex. I have no familiarity with fishing on Dillon or ice fishing in an alpine area (I fish the midwest) Will the lake still be locked up in early March? How thick is the ice? Any special paperwork required (besides state lisc)? Thanks in advance everyone.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dillion Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Hey guys, I've been skiing summit county since I could stand and this year I'm thinking about tossing my auger in my ski bag and bringing some rods and maybe my vex. I have no familiarity with fishing on Dillon or ice fishing in an alpine area (I fish the midwest) Will the lake still be locked up in early March? How thick is the ice? Any special paperwork required (besides state lisc)? Thanks in advance everyone.
Lake is frozen with safe ice especially near the cover up around the inlet area well away from it since the water is low.  Other than that i can't tell you exactly how thick the ice is.  You have much better options than Dillon with a short drive away. Make your way up to Green Mountain. My recommendation.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:10 AM »
You only need a state license. Only one line is allowed per angler unless you purchase and extra rod stamp with your license.  Like the other poster said you have tons of options other than Dillon.  It all depends on what you want to catch. If you want rainbows then Dillon is the best choice.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Is dillon just a slow bite? What makes the other local options so much more appealing? I figured since im up there I would fish for trout/char since we dont have very many locally
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Dillion is a tough nut to crack and the char are hard to come by if you don’t know what your doing. Check out fishdillon.com. Those guys know what’s up. Officers gultch is a good little spot for some Brook trout with the possibility of some other species as well.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Cool- thank you, Lamar. Ill take a look
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Also check out Adventure Ice Fishing Colorado on Facebook. That guy has been catching Char consistently as well as tons of rainbows. Dillon is a slam dunk if you know where to go and what to use
Selective harvest works!

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2019, 11:29 PM »
dillon is a dink filled crap hole, with few big fish (although they do exist).    lake got ruined by mysis shrimp and is filled w/ suckers.   theres big browns in there, kokanee and stocker rainbows.

seriously just do yourself a favor, drive the 45 mins up highway 9 and ute pass rd, and just fish williams fork.   fish there are plentiful, and much better quality.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.