Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....  (Read 12369 times)

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Ever since I can remember my dad and I have followed the highway to the east side of the bay. You will come to a gravel road that runs East /West,  this road takes you back to some trailer houses, keep following it to the right. I always found a place to park along the road by one of the trailers where it looks like no one is living there for the winter or near empty spots where boat hoists are set, etc. .   When you first pull into the gravel road off the highway it kinda looks as if you are pulling down a road that leads you to a farm.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I use the Resort access to, but I generaly ask during the summer if its ok. You can park along the blacktop to the north to and pull out from there. If you use the Resort please remember to be kind and not leave anything behind as he will lock it off if things get out of hand.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:34 AM »
That is good advice. That should hold true out on the ice. Every year it seems by the end of the year the ice looks like a garbage dump. Do your part clean up after yourself.

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 10, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Thanks for answering on the parking question. Last year when we were there we drove onto the ice thru that trailor park but I didn't know you could park in there. We fished way across on the west side of Angler's. So what is closest for parking to fish on the west side, the road or trailor park? RH
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 10, 2008, 02:56 PM »
Yes, I agree- be kind/respectful and don't leave anything behind when back in the resort it is a privilage that we are able to park and drive out onto the ice from there.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:09 AM »
I was at SMith Bay from 1:30 til 3:30. Caught 3 keepers, only saw about 15 fish. Went to the Grade, started fishing about 4pm. Lots of them babies still,some nicer ones also. I missed a lot of bites. It was tougher then I thought with the front coming in. Have a good one. The blugills on SMiths look huge but were only 8 1/2" at the most. With the number of guys you see out on the Lakes this thread should stay at the top. hint hint lurkers
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 14, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Lots of dink perch on Anglers. 1 borderline keeper perch and 1 9" gill was the best we could do Saturday. Both are still swimming. Little gills and perch were eager to bite though. Today we hit the ice at 8am with a temp of 37, left at 3 with temps at -4. Good bite where we were just small fish. I think the biggest gill we got was 7 3/4" not quite keeper size.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:40 AM »
With this cold the ice will be safe all over. I would have been more surprised if guys were doing good yesterday. Now the fish will get into their winter patterns and we can start catching more consistently.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #68 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:24 AM »
report from 11,12,and 13th:

Fished Big Spirit...off big stoney....caught about 300 perch in 3 days.  Sorted to maybe 20 nice ones...about 40 that were on the line.  A few dink walleyes.  Headed to west side of the lake on sat eve.   Drilled a bunch of holes at sundown.  Caught a sweet 16.75" walleye...fattest I've ever seen.  And a nice jumbo...11".  Then the vex went blank.  Didn't move too much though, got to shore after dark.  Ice was about 9" in Anglers.  There was a questionable spot right off the point from geese keeping it open.  Ice on the west side was wierd.  There was some white cloudy ice coming out from the buffalo run.  All in all...wouldn't drive it that day...prob ok now though.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:18 AM »
We roamed around Anglers Bay on Saturday, moved all over, and it looked like everyone else was too.  We sat over top of the weeds, in holes in the weeds and on edges.  Did see a few gar cruising, as well as a few real big carp, other than that caught 2 perch there, and only saw like 4 more.  Were they just not there or do i not know where/what i am looking for?  Or was it the warmer than it has been temps we had that day?  Sunday in the wind we decided to fish the grade.  We caught a bunch of dink perch and gills with maybe 2 keepable gills and a perch, but they all went back in the water.   With the ice getting bulked up the next few days,  could a guy move back out to the "basin" of the main lake where we sat this late fall and caught perch?  Is that where they will be all winter, or do they move in tho the bays?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:26 AM »
As far as anglers...I think that is starting to give into the pressure.  We were out west of big stoney...near the breakline off the rock point.  Didn't see a whole lot of anything other than perch...they were there almost all day.  I would say I had fish on the camera 90% of the time...a couple pike (saw a nice 6 pounder caught).  I think at this point, you should start staying away from crowds.  Look for transition areas (muck to gravel/rock). The fish I watched seemd to be digging some stuff off the bottom.  So there is a larval hatch of some kind.  After the straggler bait fish get devoured (saw a LOT of spottails on my camera), they will move out to the deeper breaklines I think.

Sidebar:  most of the nice jumbos we caught were in deeper water, near the basin - right where the rocks turns into sand.  They came in there at 3:30 and were gone at dusk.  But they were 1 year better in year class than the fish that we caught in the daytime a bit shallower.  I think they try to NOT compete with those smaller aggressive 7" fish.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:44 AM »
If the Grade doesnt run out of fish, Anglers surely wont.  Anglers is so big you say anglers and I say anglers, and we are talking about areas half a mile apart. Yesterday is not a day indicative of the fish available. Weather patterns like that are tough to fish. The Grade day bite has been tough but it really fires up when the baby perch lay down. Saturday it didnt get good until about 4:30.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Got into the 'eyes again tonight on Big Spirit, but not much for size.  Caught 6 10-12 inchers, lost another one at the hole and lost a nice 14-15 incher at the hole as well.  They're getting pretty aggressive from 4:30 - 5:30, after that they don't hit it quite the same but they're still interested and you can get a couple here and there.  Using a firetiger pattern Lindy Techi-glo Rattl'n Flyer tipped with a minnow head.  Shake it aggressively from the bottom to about 2 feet up and then let her drop.  Either they whack it on the way up or catch it on the way down.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Heinrix welcome to IS. You will find this Iowa forum to be more peaceloving then any other Iowa forum you might be familiar with, wink wink. We are lucky to have another who is willing to share.   :tipup:

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Yeah I'm getting kind of sick of that other site you were referring to  ;)  Too much bickering and not enough information.

I'm more than happy to join a site where everyone puts a little info into the collective pot to make everyone a better fisherman, hope that's what I found here.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:19 PM »
OH yeah...love the bickering...specially on the lake :-(

I have a few things about ice fishing and I'm going to get them off my chest now (rant button on):

("you" refers to lake generals, order givers, spot "pioneers", rock pile owners, breakline tenants, poachers, litter bugs, noise level dictators and grouches)

1.)  We all have hot spots.  Some "pioneered them" years ago.   I respect that.  Now, respect the fact I spent $700 on GPS and software to tell me what you know about a lake.  If you are sitting on a drop off or a sunken island I can assure you I know it's there also...before I get in my car.  Yes, I will drive out and fish it...with you there or without.  You didn't build it nor did I....that makes it "ours".

2.) I will have jumper cables, a 2800 lb. winch, food for 10 people, and bait for the same. They are yours if you need them.  You may need one or some of these items if you didn't prepare.  Don't be surprised (if you treat me like a burglar) when I leave you in the pitch black at the ramp when you find out you left your dome light on.

3.) Dogs are great...I have 2.  I'm sure yours are as loveable as mine.  If you can't keep yours away from my gear, don't be surprised when I leave out some bacon grease for you little buddy to munch on.  The gift that gives later...hopefully in your car on the way home.

4.) You (like me) didn't invent ice fishing.  So don't look at me like an intuder...I give everyone I meet on the ice a friendly how-do.  Please return the favor.  You don't want me there...tough.  Maybe I don't want you there.  The difference is I'm man enough to live with fact I don't run the show out there.....nor do you.

5.) If I drill a hole and leave it..it is yours to fish.  If you start pulling fish through that hole, I recommend staying there.  Don't be shocked if I'm there 90 seconds after you leave it....like you did when I left it.

6.) Don't feed me misinformation to get me to move.  If you tell me you had good luck earlier in closer and I don't see any holes there...get ready to put on you ear muffs...gas is cheap and I love punching 25 holes...don't be shocked when I'm doing it near you to make up for the time I lost on your goose chase.

7.) When you talk to your buddy about me fishing next to you in a negative manner when he gets out there, I can guarantee you I will return that favor.  I would rather sit quietly and enjoy the day.  If you think I'm going to sit there and listen to smack talk...I would give it deeper thought.

8.)  If you litter...I will ask you to pick it up.  If you don't...expect company from the DNR. I keep Gary's # on my cell phone in the IGL's...he loves a good ticket writing festival.   Same goes for limits, lines allowed, etc.

9.) Yes..I will turn down my radio.  You will say "Pardon me...do you mind turning that down a little?"... its the easiest way.  Any direct orders or mandates from you will be promptly ignored.  Or the radio might be turned off and the auger might come out.  Or the joy ride on the ATV might start...

I obey the law, respect people, and consider myself a custodian of our resources.  And I'm as friendly as they come.  You don't have to return that respect.  You will obey the law however.  And, if you like being vocal about your lack of respect...I hope you like the sound of an auger and the Polaris 800 is really loud when it's pegged.  You have a right to voice your opinion...and I have a right to operate my ATV within about 50 feet of you all day...I would rather not excercise either of those rights.  I've run into too many local bullheads out ice fishing the past 2 years.  I don't pack up and find another spot...that encourages people to utilize that technique.  I like a good "Good morning...you leave any fish for me?"  or "So..how's it going?  Mind if I join you?"  The second question is just a saying...your response isn't going to change where I fish.  A surly "Do I have a choice?" or "we got some other guys coming out".  My answer is "That's awsome...good luck to you guys"  Right before I fire up the auger.  Given the choice of listening to you insinuate I have less of a right to a spot or listening to an auger...I'll take my Strikelite.

(rant button off...hope I don't run into anymore abrasive icefishermen this season...and if they push their luck, I'm sure they'll hope they don't run into me ;-)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Shacks are starting to show up all over West. Saw 2 tonight way way out in Browns and 1 guy on the reef in Emerson ( only parts of the lake I can see from work) Will be checking Millers on Sat to see if my walleye spots are good enough to fish between shoveling snow. Heard reports of a few in the north bay and the first permi is out in Smiths. With all this snow already on the ground and 2 more snows in the forcast my thoughts of drivable ice before New Years may be a bust.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:43 PM »
Watched the permy get pulled out on the can today.  I can't believe that anything wouldn't be driveable on (other than west in spots) new years. 

I can't remember what night I talked to you up there...I did catch a fatty on big spirit sat. night....think I caught the tail end of a great bite.  Got it in the second or third hole I drilled 5 min after I got there....PM me if you are interested in the coords.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Getting alot of snow cover that's bugging me and the fact I no longer have the quad LOL  I think spirit will b drivable soon but West may be touchy for awhile yet. I'll know better after getting on west for a day or 2. When you coming back up? Hopefully I'll have  4 1/2 days off next week to do nothing but fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Getting alot of snow cover that's bugging me and the fact I no longer have the quad LOL  I think spirit will b drivable soon but West may be touchy for awhile yet. I'll know better after getting on west for a day or 2. When you coming back up? Hopefully I'll have  4 1/2 days off next week to do nothing but fish.

Esox,

This is the first year I've had a 4-wheeler on the fish trap to pull it around. I use a Honda Foreman 4x4 wheeler. Does  the main part of the lake stay clear enough or keep from getting covered with to deep of snow to use the wheeler all year for the most part?

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 PM »
For the most part you should be ok w the 4 wheeler.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #81 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:21 PM »
For the most part you should be ok w the 4 wheeler.

Thanks.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:27 PM »
I have yet to see where a guy can't get around with a quad or truck. My jimmy goes all over once the ice it thick enough. The popular areas have well packed trails out to them. Only time we had a problem was on waubay in March after the blizzard we had a tractor and blower make us a road out so we could fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:40 PM »
I have yet to see where a guy can't get around with a quad or truck. My jimmy goes all over once the ice it thick enough. The popular areas have well packed trails out to them. Only time we had a problem was on waubay in March after the blizzard we had a tractor and blower make us a road out so we could fish.

Little off topic esox but have you ever fished on Upper Red Lake???

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:20 AM »
Nicely done Boji.  I used to be the guy who didnt like to give out a lot of information and wouldnt really go out of my way to speak with people when i was on the water or on the ice.  I find now that it is much more enjoyable speaking with people and shooting the bull for 2-5 minutes and sharing information then being PO'ed cause some guy is 15 feet from your shack.  There are more things in life to worry about then guys fishing on top of yah.

One story and i call it quits.  I was up in the IGLs this past weekend and i fished Saturday-Sunday morning.  I fished West Okoboji mainly to get an accurate read on the lake and where the standing weeds were at and then place them in my GPS for future visits.  The bite was by no means hot and heavy and the fish werent schooled up as i was hoping and the water where i was at was rather cloudy so it made sight fishing hard when deeper then 6-7 FOW.  Anyways, we all know the hot bite that Anglers Bay has been putting out for a good week and guys just absolutely pounding the fish there; big numbers and some big fish coming out of there.  Saturday i only end up catching 6 keeper gills, letting two more gills and a pumpkinseed go, saw one other gill that didnt hit and three bass that didnt hit while i was fishing on West O.  My hook up rate was great for the panfish but the fish werent schooled up.  Anyways, Sunday morning i decided that i would check out Anglers before the front pushed in that morning.  I was getting my gear ready at the place i was staying at and some bucktooth fella comes over and asks how i did yesterday and where i was fishing at, etc.  Told him how i did and what i caught and then he goes off on a tear about how many fish him and his buddies caught yesterday, best fishing of their lives, and pretty much busting me for not catching as many as they did.  I made the comment "So i assume you guys were fishing Angler's Bay like everyone else, correct?".  Guy stops mid sentence, turns around and walks away.  Top shelf right there...

PS: I fished Angler's that morning for 1.5 hours and yeah you really could get on the fish but if that guy was braggin about catching 6-8" perch then by all means go ahead.

I'll get off my soapbox now...  ;)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:49 AM »
Yup..the old "you should have been with us...but I'm not telling you where we were."  The whole deal is this sense of entitlement.  Somehow..there are people on the lake (or a spot) and I know by talking to them, they feel that they have some inalienable right to it.  If there are any fogeys on this site (and I don't think there are to be honest)...whatever you tell me about the lake as far as it's structure....I know it too.  As far as understanding fish movements...I feel I'm pretty good about it.  I like to have a hot spot away from the crowd and I don't raise a "bite on" flag from my shanty, but come one....we all have a common passion out there.  You would think this would bring people together.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:30 PM »
Little off topic esox but have you ever fished on Upper Red Lake???

Nope never ice fished anywhere in Mn yet. Seems kinda odd since I'm from there LOL

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Nope never ice fished anywhere in Mn yet. Seems kinda odd since I'm from there LOL

Really, figure you'd have fished a few of those big name lakes up in MN with has big as you are into ice fishing. I've been making a couple trips to Upper Red the last few years with the inlaws and had fair to good luck. Hit Winne once and had terrible luck. Well to get back onto topic, I wanted to ask you if there are many if any 14-16 inch crappie that come out of the Iowa Great Lakes? I'm kind of into the crappie  after a trip up there.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:46 PM »
While not common yes there are crappies of that caliber. I lost 2 last year in 5 minutes in that range.  Part of the reason i don't travel is i have so much water in my back yard to fish and so little time. I have fished many lakes in Mn and Canada in my youth in the summer.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I've said the same thing after every trip to canada or mn.  "Ya know guys, we could catch just as many fish in our backyards if we tried this damn hard all the time!"  Just being in camp seems to make you more intense.  If I took that same intensity to Big Spirit I could catch just as many 'eyes as I do in Canada.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.