Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....  (Read 12368 times)

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I know what you mean. Just got mine this year. 400 Arictic Cat, got a winch and a plow to go with it. used the plow once. Cant wait to get it on the ice. Has anyone had problems not using chains on the ice most people i see don't have chains. I know I didn't have any problem plowing snow without them.

I have the same rig as you do 400 AC with blade and winch. I have chains I put on the rear wheels. I don't know how bad they are needed but they do give you a lot more traction. I can tell you that they are a must when I pull permanent shack. I don't need to go 40 mph on the ice either so the chains aren't an issue tearing thing's up.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Smith's Bay on West is finally starting to form ice along the shore lines- looks like ice about 30ft out from the shoreline. That is what formed last night.  As long as the wind doesn't keep blowing that out, it won't be long before some guys start fishing in closer. I always think it's a good sign when Smith's Bay starts making ice, even for the whole lakes area in general.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:08 PM »
West winds forcasted for Friday, what littles there wont last long.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Yah I saw, 20-30. That happens a few times each year at first, ice starts to form and then the wind wipes it out. I just have always looked at ice starting to form on Smith's Bay as being a sign or turning point for more fishable ice in the IGL region being not to far away.   

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Smiths has had ice twice already, it just won't stay. East was almost open again to the bridge yesterdaybut this morning was capped again. Just need a few calm days to get things going.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Hows the ice on the rest of the lakes. Little Emerson, Anglers Bay? I dont want to fish the Grade or Templars again until next year. The tempson West have to b dropping soon. The 7 day forecast looks great also. I guess I could fish some canals but would rather not. Anyone gonna be up there tommorrow?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I was thinking about it...but all the spots I want to fish are ATV range out there..so I'm going to hit a small pond here in NE...supposed to have a banner year-class of crappies with about 70% of the fish being 8" (according to one golf partner and my garbage guy)...they slammed them this spring.  We'll see...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2008, 11:04 PM »
Upper Gar by Triggs Resort has 4"-5" out from the boat ramp south. Up by the bridge it was open.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:18 AM »
Here is a webcam that is on Smiths Bay.

http://www.okoboji.com/live/big_picture/

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:12 AM »
It don't look very good from that view of the camera

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Buddy just texted me said a few shacks on Lil E.  There is ice on Anglers but how much I can't say. I'm hoping to get out tomarrow someplace for the first time and test out the new Nils I picked up today. Think my buddy was hitting the canals but I have also heard they have no trespassing signs up all over along the roads there. I gotta go get gas and propane so maybe I'll swing around that way and look first hand.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Signs on the canals are for the dock, ice is good fishing not so good. Got the auger fired up and broke in  now to respool the rods and punch some holes someplace in the morn.  Not realy a steady bite anywhere hit and miss at best.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:58 PM »
DONT GO TO LITTLE EMERSON. I was one of the shacks out there. Lots of weeds standing, gin clear water, ice maybe 6-7". Exactly one fish sighted in an hour. Left and went to the Grade. That was slow until the baby perch laid down for night-night. Then it got pretty good. If I was going in the a.m. I would try check out Smith Bay. It looked from the road that if you walk along the shore you might be able to find enough ice to get over by the OFarrell sisters dock. Thats a good spot if you can get there. If I had known that before I drove past I would have tried today. The ice will be an inch or more thicker tommorrow morning. Last year I had to do it that way and it was a slaughter. Good luck and stay topside.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I'll most likely be on Anglers, green Eskimo QFIII, stop and BS.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Bays on West froze Sat night, 99% of Spirit froze also. Had some luck on Anglers but patience was key and finding a hole in the weeds. Gills and perch we saw were mostly aggressive and managed 11 8-10" gills for dinner. Only saw 1 nice perch and all we caught were 7"and below.  I had a MI meeting at 6 or would have moved out on the deep brak for the evening walleye bite. Several shacks had moved  out in that vicinity when we left at 5.  We fished weed pockets in 8' of water, and was patient. Ice is well polished and slick wear your cleats. Ice was 5-6" where we drilled. Was growing most of the day I think due to all the popping and cracking we heard.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:39 AM »
Was the water clear on Anglers? I guess I have never seen it dirty in Anglers. The Grade you can see down to bottom but fish are kinda hard to make out. The 9" blugills look huge in that dirty water. Probably be 2 weeks before I make it back up anyway and they might be driving out by then.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Its not gin clear, it does have a tint to it but in 8' you can see bottom as long as theres good light. I'm guessing now that the lake capped it will get better. Some of the small perch we saw on the camera you couldn't see looking down. I used my LX most the day and thats not normal for me to use a flasher during the day up here. Wife used her camera till the battery went then I drilled her a sight hole and she could see ok. I think we came out about even for the day with fish caught.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I know a few years ago I was fishing early ice there and couldn't figure out why the water was murky..my theory was the water had some goose droppings in it.  Which is also why I think there was a good bite years back near open water east of marble beach. Geese were there up until the friday before I fished it on sunday...and there was a great bite by the hole that had skinned over.  I wonder if the goose poo attracted bait fish?
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Its not gin clear, it does have a tint to it but in 8' you can see bottom as long as theres good light. I'm guessing now that the lake capped it will get better. Some of the small perch we saw on the camera you couldn't see looking down. I used my LX most the day and thats not normal for me to use a flasher during the day up here. Wife used her camera till the battery went then I drilled her a sight hole and she could see ok. I think we came out about even for the day with fish caught.

You came out even and she was without an Marcum!  :o

--Whitey

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Jason you know as well as I do you have to "let" them keep up.

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #50 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:37 PM »
hey guys, gals?  A few of us are headed that way the weekend after the first.  I would like to know which one of you wants to show us some fish.  I tell you what i will make you a trade help us up there and i help you over here.  Cedar Rap. IC area.  Were in serch of the elusive perch and his predator the EYE.  Any info would be much app.  You know how to to reach me

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:08 AM »
I knew there had to be a reason!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Honestly she had the better side of the shack, she had way more fish moving past her side than I did. When you and your Dad coming up?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:40 AM »
I hate when its like that. You sit there thinkin its been forever since you saw a fish, and the person 3 feet away says, I got one!, there was six of them down there I wondered if one was ever gonna bite. That just aint fair.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Any time I'm in that situation of sitting next to someone and they are rolling them and I'm not getting bit...I wait for them to say "Oh...I got one coming in"

...then I fire up the auger and drill exxon.

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Not sure Shawn--have to get through a week of deer season and then we will be ice fishing!

--Whitey

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Let us know we'll save a few fish you you guys.

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:09 AM »
Would someone advise as to where you park when at Angler's Bay before you're able to drive out. Thanks
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Excellent question!  I never even thought about it.  I've always been able to drive out when I've been there.  Anyone?

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:43 AM »
The only place i have seen people park other than on the ice for Anglers has been on the side of the blacktop on the North side of Anglers, and then haul your stuff out to the ice.  If you are moving closer to trickles there is a small parking area made for a "wildlife" area along that same blacktop further west, that is a little more of a walk on land before getting to the ice though.  Not sure if there is any parking area on land by where you can drive on the ice, have never come in there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.