Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: IGL  (Read 16328 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: IGL
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Just herd snow for friday. Hopefully we dont get too much. Dont need a repeat of last year.

That's why I'm going to take tomarrow off and hit the ice somewhere. If you wana use a sick day or PTO day, you're welcome to join me.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:56 PM »
So...talked a guy into making a hit it and get run Sunday to Spirit.  Before I go that far...any word on Silver??  I've had some sweet pike action there on tip ups...but 2 lines is a pike joke...with no punch line.

Super quad is resting....Devils Lake is waiting and I'll need a fresh belt to turn the new tires so it's shopped now.  I don't mind walking too far....but people always seem to come out for a meet and greet.  Hate that.  Wish I could find a disguise like cross country skis and a mocha latte or something.  We will most likely be up....my next option is Refuge lakes out west.  Walk in is a pu$$y term...it's a 3-4 mile rig to run.  Like pump house to Templar...and add a half mile.

What is the situation for ice off Hales for foot travel?  PM me if you want.  
PS -  If you know what a Crazy Kate is from the old spillway dairy by Bedells...you are def. a local :-)  
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Hint-Save the trouble and buy an electric knife and clean them yourself. Good point though.

Agreed...and noted.  My Folks aren't a big fan of fish on the new granite counters.  If they had a public place for me to clean in a nice heated rig...I would LOVE to go there man...and I mean LOVE.  Grab the wifes SUV and throw on a diff. coat...the filet knife...and stories of the Lost Island hot bites for my closest strangers....I would be there all night....clean em twice.  As it is...Flueger and John are sick of me talking to "those people" about the Lower Gar explosion on jumbo perch.  Not to mention the Hottes Lake hot pike bite...or the very north end of East Lake where all the big eyes come at sundown near the runoff at The Gingham....or the ultimate in big northern action:  Tip ups in the narrows.  :-)   Don't get me started on the Little Spirit Crappie extravaganza.

If I can hit one boat ramp this year with no 40 ouncers /  no propane empties / no food wrappers / no grub containers / lure bubble packs / beer cans / cig packs / etc etc ...i'm talking DRIFTS of garbage!!!.....I would think different, let alone steering these mouth breathers to the 71 bridge or whatever.  I hit Hales, Stony, Spillway / pump / Templar access....one rsingle ramp that is even respecatable...and I'll stop with the fantasy directives.  Mostly....I want mother earth rapers the eff off the lake I grew up on.  Some of you reading this are those people...some are not.  I know the difference from 100 yards.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T...the only song anyone should sing. Pick up your stuff...park like a human...act like an adult...leave holes in the ice and nothing more...you will find people up there will be super cool.  I know when I see (insert state) plates at the ramp in the AM..and walk by...and I know that stuff could come from no one but that rig when I leave...it makes me mad.  Sorry...I'm going to battle this.  Take a few more perch...fish 3 lines...do something other than the trash thing.  It's getting pretty infuriating.  That goes for iowans too.  I don't mean to be a jerk...but it brings me to tears to see that lake in Feb folks.  Think..please...put it in your pocket...truck bed...sled..something.  If you use a camera...you know what I'm talking about.  I can't drill a hole in Anglers when I fish there once in a while...and not see crap from last year.  I'm asking please and thanks here.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Theres reasons why I don't allow beer in my shack or boat. Always amazes me someone can carry a full 12 pack a mile but those damn empties are to heavy to bring back. Another thing if you arent going to keep it and eat it put it back don't leave it laying on the ice, wanton waste is as bad as poaching IMO. Like Boji I live and fish these waters every weekend during the winter and almost daily during open water and tired of seeing people trash what are some of the best fishing waters in the midwest.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:05 PM »
You guys are right the trash is uncalled for. Instate or out of state it needs to stop. The worst part is most of the time when your ice fishing you have at least one 5 gallon bucket and your shack to put all your trash in.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:09 AM »
YEAH WHAT THEY SAID!!!

hahaha

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Heinrix...you ol Grade rock pile pumper..how you doing?  New avatar...I don't show my face...unless it's on the radio.   

Looks like I'm going to be up Sunday after a day of work on gear here.  Staining my new Laker tip ups tomorrow and my partner has a wrestlin tourney.  Anyone else up for some early action on B-Spir? 

If anyone knows....think there is quad safe ice on that?  Or will be by Sunday??  Just anglers...nothing out in the basin....

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Meh, people can follow me around all they want Boji. I enjoy showin off to the tourists ;)

Anglers might be quad safe by Sunday, but I wouldn't count on it. I was on 5" the other day but I wasn't too far out, so who knows. Good thing is the geese weren't keeping it open this year. Most of them were hanging out by the pump house.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I stay in my shack in the winter so they don't have a clue, you know I muskie fish THEN I have a problem with people following, and then it's not just out of towners. Ask Tony how I like guys cutting in on me or following me around.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:34 PM »
What do you need for a quad 6"? Looked like IGL is forecasted for 2-4" of snow.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I stay in my shack in the winter so they don't have a clue, you know I muskie fish THEN I have a problem with people following, and then it's not just out of towners. Ask Tony how I like guys cutting in on me or following me around.

;D I'll bet. Gosh I hope I don't get as cranky as you old geezers when I get up there in years ;)

By the way, I'm pretty sure Tony is still cryin about his sore muscles after the muskie trip.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:00 PM »
LOL I tell him if he does it every day like me he won't feel it anymore. I'm not a geezer yet, but I am a azzole, spent 43 years mastering that.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:47 PM »
That's why I'm going to take tomarrow off and hit the ice somewhere. If you wana use a sick day or PTO day, you're welcome to join me.

Well guys I made it out all day got up at 4:30 and fished for 13 hours. I did fairly well on catching some fish. Even Managed to get a deer today to. Was driving home and a suicidal deer thought that I needed a new front end for my pickup.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:53 PM »
How was the ice today? Sorry about your luck with the deer.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:09 PM »
DUDE...that bites.  PM what was up...I have a feeling it might get ugly soon up there.  Sent you one a minute ago...how far off are my WP's???  LOL....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:27 AM »
How was the ice today? Sorry about your luck with the deer.

I went up to Round lake. Had about 5-7 inches of ice in the three different spots I fished. I was a little suprised when I pulled a white bass through the ice. Fought like a mo fo though. If you're up that way be carful between Ochedyan and Sibley on HWY 9, officer told me that there is a deer wreck in about every night in that area since a guy feeds deer there. Jacobh I see you are from sheldon. I also live in sheldon we should hit the ice sometime together.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:48 AM »
DUDE...that bites.  PM what was up...I have a feeling it might get ugly soon up there.  Sent you one a minute ago...how far off are my WP's???  LOL....

Woke up this morning and there was some snow, but wasn't very much maybe an inch or two of fluffy snow in sheldon. If we get some wind the lakes should blow fairly clean. I put in the WPs I got from ya last night on my map source. It was kinda cool, two of you're WPs were almost on top of mine. The others were new. Tanks again Boji. Just remember on those Brush Piles on Devils, you need to mark brush on the Vex. If you're not right in the brush with your lure you won't catch any perch. When I was up their the best practice was just a slight wiggling of the lure in the brush. If you did a Lift fall it didn't work. Stock up on lures, I lost my favorite lucky pilki in the brush after catching to 13.5in perch shaped like footballs.  Also, I found out at the end of our trip that the guy who out fished us all for perch in the group was using wax worms. The rest of us had maggots. He was sneaky and took the whole container of wax worms and didn't tell anybody.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:22 PM »
What a jerk!!!   Sounds like something I would do.  Had hidden smelt for tip ups at Upper Red.  No one could figure why the chubs wouldn't work.....in Feb!   LOL....I lost 2 friends that day.   Dude...that is half of mine!  :-)

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 04, 2010, 05:40 PM »
That spot the guy was talking about for deer is Fabers. There were 100+ deer out there today, when i was on my way home from fishing.

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Ok so I have a couple of random thoughts.  First, glad to see Heinrix back on here for the year.  I enjoy the generousity he has shown with his knowledge throughout the years.  Second, I couldn't agree more with the trash.  I really haven't noticed it to be too extreme in most places but it does seem like Spirit gets it's fair share-especially around the "City" and at the access I have noticed it especially.  It shouldn't be that hard to pack out what you brought in.  It is just plain rude to trash our few remaining public areas.  Which brings me to my last thought.  I have been ice fishing for nearly 40 years.  I remember my Grandpa taking me when I was 5 or 6 and we sat on pails all day and I was expected to fish.  In all those years I have had to deal with the "locals" who think they own the lake.  Sorry but it is a real peeve of mine.  I have ALWAYS been respectful of others when I am on public water and because of this I have met many people I now consider friends.   However, invariably I will run into some that think they own the lake and I am infringing on their rights.  Talk about the fastest way to ruin my day.  The IGL is undoubtably one of the best fisheries in the state.  You have to expect extra traffic there.  As ice fishing continues to get more and more convenient it will only get worse.  Personally,  I found the "non locals" talk offensive.  I live about 60 miles from the IGL and have been there numerous times.  Even though I don't live within spitting distance of the lake the locals at the bait shop and gas station and grocery store have always taken my money.   I have always tried to help out a fellow outdoor enthusiast to have a great experience wherever I go as best I can.  Thank goodness some people feel like I do or a trip to...say Devil's lake will be a shot in the dark.  A place I have been many times by the way.  I have found the locals there to be very forthcoming with information and I feel truely appreciated each time I go.  Sorry to hijack this post with my rantings.  Nothing meant personally towards anyone and if you ever see me on the ice (I am in a white wheelhouse with toybox wrote on the side) stop in and I will offer you a coffee, beer or even lunch.  Hope to see you all on the ice!

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Thanks for the kind words cdt80

No report from me today though................ I was too busy doing this

;D

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:40 PM »
 Ones veiws change when they live in a vacation/resort area.

Offline bryanl87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Went out today to Angler's, caught a ton of little perch with maybe 3 or 4 keepers. Good size Bluegills were biting like crazy in about 6'. Even ended up with a 15" walleye. Not great but better than nothing!

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #53 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:29 PM »
so lets talk fishing.  what did the hens get in the way.  ???

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Ice was crowded, fishing was at best fair.

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #55 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:32 PM »
we some birds down here were gonna try tom.  Just wish we had the ice

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:33 PM »
so lets talk fishing.  what did the hens get in the way.  ???

Crap happens when you have 100+ ducks bunched up i guess. I could blame it on the kid that was with us.....but I'm sure I dropped one of em on a double. Sue me.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Ok so I have a couple of random thoughts.  First, glad to see Heinrix back on here for the year.  I enjoy the generousity he has shown with his knowledge throughout the years.  Second, I couldn't agree more with the trash.  I really haven't noticed it to be too extreme in most places but it does seem like Spirit gets it's fair share-especially around the "City" and at the access I have noticed it especially.  It shouldn't be that hard to pack out what you brought in.  It is just plain rude to trash our few remaining public areas.  Which brings me to my last thought.  I have been ice fishing for nearly 40 years.  I remember my Grandpa taking me when I was 5 or 6 and we sat on pails all day and I was expected to fish.  In all those years I have had to deal with the "locals" who think they own the lake.  Sorry but it is a real peeve of mine.  I have ALWAYS been respectful of others when I am on public water and because of this I have met many people I now consider friends.   However, invariably I will run into some that think they own the lake and I am infringing on their rights.  Talk about the fastest way to ruin my day.  The IGL is undoubtably one of the best fisheries in the state.  You have to expect extra traffic there.  As ice fishing continues to get more and more convenient it will only get worse.  Personally,  I found the "non locals" talk offensive.  I live about 60 miles from the IGL and have been there numerous times.  Even though I don't live within spitting distance of the lake the locals at the bait shop and gas station and grocery store have always taken my money.   I have always tried to help out a fellow outdoor enthusiast to have a great experience wherever I go as best I can.  Thank goodness some people feel like I do or a trip to...say Devil's lake will be a shot in the dark.  A place I have been many times by the way.  I have found the locals there to be very forthcoming with information and I feel truely appreciated each time I go.  Sorry to hijack this post with my rantings.  Nothing meant personally towards anyone and if you ever see me on the ice (I am in a white wheelhouse with toybox wrote on the side) stop in and I will offer you a coffee, beer or even lunch.  Hope to see you all on the ice!

You had me at wheelhouse and beer.  ::) I'll bring some elk sticks.

Offline 2percent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I dont really know how this all works, as far as ownership of the lakes go. I own property 3/4 of a mile away from the lake in Spirit Lake. Does that give me more rights to the lake than someone that lives 5 or 10 miles away not to mention 60 or a 100 miles away? Without out of towners, I dont know what this community would be like. Im sure even Shucks and Stans make half thier income on out of towners. Area guides need out of towners. Arnolds Park prays for out of towners. Now with that being said, Saturday on my way back to my vehicle, I did stop and pick up 2 propane bottles, a soda can, and 3 candy wrappers off the ice all in one spot. PLEASE pick up your trash  >:(

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2010, 10:28 PM »
I make my money on out of towners to but don't mean I have to like them. Sad after only a week the crap thats laying around already, whats worse we pick it up year round. Enjoy the lakes, pick up your trash and be respectfull of others around you.. Dont drive your quad around 10 shacks to go talk to your buddy 200 feet away or use the blade to clear off 3" of snow 20 feet away form others. Still not sure why 3 guys need a quad for pulling a shack 400 feet fron the truck....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.