Author Topic: Automatic Fisherman vs Jawjacker  (Read 29866 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Automatic Fisherman vs Jawjacker
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the HT ice rigger?  It looks similar but less expensive.

I love riggers, but they are not in the same category as the AF or JJ. These units set the hook for you when triggered, were are the Ice rigger jsut pops a flag like a standard tip-up

Offline Stihl21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:59 AM »
I started this thread back in November and figured that since I finally got a chance to use the Jawjacker this past weekend I would get back on and write an initial review of using it on the ice.  One thing I want to point out right away is that I really like that it compacts into itself, saving a lot of space - and I am sure you could fit quite a few inside of a bucket.  Another nice feature is the spikes that keep it in place - works well in the wind gusts, and will be nice to keep the fish from knocking it over and potentially pulling the rod down the hole.

One of my first impressions after opening the package was how light it is - which quickly turned into a concern on how well it will hold up.  After having dropped it, more than once, from the workbench to the concrete floor in the garage and it having survived still looking and working like new, I would say that it should hold up very well.  A huge plus being lightweight and so far very durable.

Another concern I had was the trigger possibly freezing so before the trip I took a preventative approach and sprayed it with WD-40.  While on the lake the wind was blowing pretty bad and within a couple minutes the holes would fill with slush and start freezing.  I kept the ice scoop handy and tried for awhile to keep the Jawjacker hole cleared out.  A few times I would put just enough tension on the line (past my preset tension level) while scooping the slush and it would spring the trigger as normal, so a little WD-40 (not sure if it was necessary) and it worked great.

After I got tired of babysitting the hole every couple minutes I finally just moved the Jawjacker inside the shelter 2 feet away from my active jigging rod.  Funny story being the fish must have swam in, took the jig on the Jawjacker first, and then swam up to my active jig.  I felt the tug, set the hook, and the fish started to run.  At that point the Jawjacker triggers (I though I had a double hookup at the time) so I'm really excited.  Well, stupid me I get excited and try to hurry and lift the fish out of the hole and his little headshake was all it took to snap my 4lb line.  At this point I am pissed at myself, but then I look over and the Jawjacker rod is still moving so I grab it and fight the fish to the hole.  This time I take my time and eventually scoop the fish out and onto the ice and first thing I notice is, sure enough, there is my other jig with the snapped line hanging from it's mouth.  So it only took 2 jigs but I was able to land my first fish of the ice season.  I will also point out that the Jawjacker set the hook perfectly in the corner of the mouth and the hook ended up in both the upper and lower lip.

Real quick I would also like to point out that I did purchase an Automatic Fisherman as well, and have read a lot of great things about them.  But since the Jawjacker is new to the lineup I wanted to focus more on giving that one a try to see how it would perform and hold up to my fishing needs.  It will definitely be nice having both when fishing with the little ones at a local pond.

Sorry I don't have any pictures or video of it in action from my trip, but here are a couple videos (NOT mine) that have some really cool camera angles, and I definitely applaud these guys as they did a great job with the video:

&feature=related

Hope this little review helps for next season when they are back in stock.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2012, 03:41 PM »
I see the JawJacker is Out of Stock until next November 1, 2012. At least from the maker.

Cabelas has the Automatic Fisherman on sale right now for $29.99 ($10 off retail)
http://www.cabelas.com/rods-reels-tip-ups-automatic-fisherman-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1114618&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=A665B70E-F950-E011-BB8E-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Great story Stihl21, had me laughing pretty good there as I pictured what you described  ;D
👮👮👮

Offline Double_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Just happened upon this topic through a google search for Automatic Fisherman.

I have both and am in the process of selling my Automatic Fisherman. I just ordered two more jaw jackers.

My experience is:

Automatic Fisherman - Can lose the metal rod, hard on tip guide, heavy, bobber twists when letting line out. Does allow for a bit of slack line which is good.

Jaw Jacker - much lighter and smaller, packs up into a small profile, parts are tethered together, but easily replacable from parts from hardware store (pins), makes a loud noise when triggered. Hookup percentage is good (I'm 7 for 8 with my first jawjacker). It does hold up well. I have caught pike, walleye, trout, burbot already on mine.

Like I said, selling AF and just got 2 more JJs. LOVE them! I don't use tip ups anymore....ever. I got a lake trout in 95 fow on the bottom and it set the hook well. Used a MH rod with enough power, but 95 ft is impressive. You can use a slightly longer rod than the AF can use as well.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:57 AM »
Do you still have your AF for sale? I had a problem with broken rods, but Kerry replaced them.  Great customer service.  I modified the AF a bit and like how it works for trout.  Anyone interested, I'll post some pictures?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline am1445

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:42 PM »
There was a post on page 2 of this discussion with pictures of a homeade version....any reports on how well that worked? Or the durability? Thinking of attempting to make something similar.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty, am1445.     ;)2

You may get some more info at this link :     http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=232809.0

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:17 AM »
FYI:
The only problem with these devices is the hole freezing over with the line. The automatic fisherman gives you a bottle of hole deicer and float. I like the deicer but not the float idea. I use a piece of vapor barrier for laminent floor and put a slit in it for the line. I put some deicer on it and it works fine. Anyone know what the deicer is made from?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:54 AM »
If you want to solve the hole freezing over issue, buy hole covers.  I use a foam hole cover and a piece of plywood cut the same size as the hole cover.  Put the hole cover over the hole, then put the plywood over the hole cover.  I cut a grove in the plywood to match the hole cover.  I put a small section of a straw on my line so the line does not cut into the hole cover.  I will try to get a picture of my set up and post it.  It works great. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:27 AM »
GAMBELL, just curious, is that a soda drinking straw, a coffee stirring straw or stable straw ?

Thanks.    ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.