Author Topic: Any ice forming in Keweenaw Bay?  (Read 2459 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice forming in Keweenaw Bay?
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:14 PM »
I fish at the head of the bay, off from the willow trees.  Any sign of ice or even slush in the water yet?

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any ice forming in Keweenaw Bay?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:55 PM »
ya might have to give the sports shop a call tomorrow
they can look out the window and see
they have not updated sense nov.

SnoHam13

PM sent.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Virtually no ice there yet. We drove by on Saturday and the only ice was in the shallows in extreme south end of the bay between the park and the house. It didn't extend out more than about 100 yds or so.

Offline GripNrip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2016, 11:02 PM »
I went through there Thursday and it was just slushy looking

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:51 AM »
OKay, thanks for the updates.  Slush at the head of the bay is good.  Slush turns to ice real quick, especially in this weather.  I only fish 3/10ths of a mile off-shore at the head of the bay in 40 feet of water.  That always freezes first and slush is the beginning.  Just made some improvements to my shanty and anxious to get out and relax.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:48 PM »
give a shout wen ya get out there on the ice

SnoHam13

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:15 AM »
mjbuck what do you fish for off the head of the bay?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Ran up to L'Anse yesterday and there was some ice on the L'Anse side of the bay. Looked like went out about 150 yds

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:27 PM »
mjbuck what do you fish for off the head of the bay?
[/quote

I fish mostly for jumbo perch in 40 to 43 feet of water . But the last two years the perch bite has been slow, I've been fishing splake, herring, salmon, bourbot and an occasional steelhead.  I've got a high-quality underwater camera  and I see plenty of smelt, an occasional sturgeon and  whitefish also, but these last three never bite anything, but I got video proof they are all down there. I keep fishing there pretty simple. Minnows for the perch and jig using  Swedish pimples tipped with gulp or power bait. I also chum my hole every hour or so. I make chum from fish guts etc.from the summer.  Mix it with bread crumbs, roll it into small balls and freeze them. Drop them down the hole and they dissolve slowly and work great to attract fish.  If the ice ever gets thick enough I'll be setting up my shanty straight out from the willow trees directly at the head of the bay.  Battleship gray and white , so if you do come down there and have any questions, feel free to knock on the door.  Good luck.

Offline chassellman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:59 PM »
I fished Huron Bay on Saturday. When I was driving back to Chassell at around 2:30 PM, I saw a shanty out on the very south end of Keweenaw Bay...but it looked scary! By the time I was Irene's pizza, it was pretty much open water. Hope they were OK out there. Looked pretty sketchy...

Offline FurFinsFeathers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Any updates on ice conditions? NOAA's satellite imaging shows some possible ice in the bay but it's hard to tell

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Last night, 2-14-16, there was ice all the way across the bay from Assinins to north of Whirl-I-Gig road. I don't have any idea how thick it was but it couldn't have been too thick. We had temperatures down to -21F in Chassell Sunday morning. There was also a lot of floating sheets further north of the main ice.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:31 PM »
2-20-16 report. The bay had ice from the point behind the Indian campground south. There were about 6 tents on the far southern end, mostly off the mouth of the Falls River. There actually was a boat launched off the shore behind the campground. I never did see where it was out in the bay. We just saw the truck and trailer. Commercial fishermen maybe?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.