The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6" Nils and Drill not working!  (Read 8280 times)

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 6" Nils and Drill not working!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:52 PM »
I remember correctly there was special jig for the Nils blade that he uses.
I read somewhere in Michigan forum from nils authorized sharpening place that nils doesn't offer any jig, I wouldn't know if this is the case , other than this post, but on the other hand I never heard about existence of such a jig.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I think its a custom made jig.  I don't know I could be wrong  I thought I just remember him talking about it while fishing with him several years ago. 

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:11 PM »
   Yes there is a factory jig but need to make the clamp to go with it and then figure out how to use it.
Depending on the amount of damage to the blade factory specs won't always work.   

I have countless hours developing my own equipment and the technique to sharpen Nils.   That is only part of the battle, you have to know how to adjust the blade.  Again, many hours involved studying the geometry of the Nils blade to know where the correction is needed to make adjustments.   You have to demonstrate that ability to become authorized by Nils. There is only one other shop that authorized by Nils and not sure if they can adjust blades or if they're still in business and its not in MI.   I enjoy what I do, keep my nose clean and don't care what "other shops" do.   Good Luck...….

You can take a mildly dull blade and sharpen it with mixed success.   Whatever you do "Don't touch the bottom of the blade" with anything, not even a little bit.  That and pitting from rust will ruin a blade.   I do have a process to resurface those blades have saved most of them.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline shoeshineman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:36 PM »
I run a 6" Nils with the new Ridgid-Home Depot special drill. I had my blade sharpened by Frank this Summer. I cut through 8" of good clear high country Colorado, every time this year, ice like I'm going through drywall (in a good way!). Anyone with a problem with a Nils cutting my ice has an obviously damaged setup.

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:06 AM »
I found the link, post was made five years ago, just scroll down a few posts https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/nils-blade-sharpening-anyone-know.495759/
Name of the place is Anglers point    it appears that he's certified, but a lot can change in 5 years. He's talking about the video they get from Nils and using 2 inch belt sander, which would make sense to get into the narrow spot at the bottom of the head.

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:32 PM »
OK looking for some advice:

Got a 6" Nils cordless drill model (orange)....

Hooked auger directly into chuck of Dewalt hand drill.....won't drill the ice...started to strip connector on auger so quickly stopped trying and put handle on.. drilled like butter....

Do I need the conversion kit to connect correctly??? 

Thanks guy!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:44 PM »
 When you chuck up the auger be sure the jaws are situated into the groves of the augers shank.  Try it again and have your drill set to "Drill Mode" and speed set to 1.  If you completely stripped the augers shank then you have a few options.

Cut the shank off and use a Kovac Nils Drill Adapter.
File 3 flat sides on the shank.
Cut deeper groves deeper into the shank.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:03 PM »
that makes so much sense I don't know why I didn't think of that!!!!!!  so dumb.....thanks for the help...definitely didn't strip anything to bad....just some paint chipped.....once again thanks!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.