Author Topic: Perch Help  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Drahtfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch Help
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:39 PM »

Looking for some help on finding perch.  Fished this lake for the first time Sunday.  Not a big lake but it has some nice perch in it.  On the far east end and west end are weed beds.  The weed beds extend out to about 13 fow.  The bottom looks hard on my Lowrance after I get out of the weeds.  I drilled a series of holes from where the 'a' is in lake out to 34 fow.  I marked one fish in 34 fow suspended at 25 feet.  I was using a jigging rap and the fish followed but did not bite.  Then no more fish.  Was I in the right area or should I have been closer to the weed beds?  Never caught perch but knowing that they are in there I would like to figure them out.  I don't know the lake all that well but I do know a little.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Perch Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:46 PM »
what else is in there
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Live bait!! Or a slick jig, should work good.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:55 PM »
we've got a similar lake with northern and sunfish and we fish 17-19 fow for the perch just about anywere on the lake
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline CRA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:58 PM »
3/8 PK Spoon tipped with a waxie or live minnow.

Work the drop offs. If you have a camera, watch the bottom. Sometimes perch lay right in the mud with their snouts sticking out.

Also look for springs or moving current where the water temp might be slightly warmer.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Pound the bottom with a heavy sinker or pimple, have a fathead on a plain hook 6 inches to a foot below that- after you spank the bottom bring your line up so your bait is just off the bottom. Thats where the perch usually hang out. If you find a pocket in the weed beds drill all kinds of holes around it and across it- try to pattern the school's movements and stay on those tasty suckers!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Not enough specific info to speak with any certainty. That creek area from the pond looks interesting, if there's reeds it's a potential decent spawning area towards ice out with them running up there periodically to check it out the rest of the winter. Problem with 10' contour lines is in it not telling you much of what's really going on between them. The saddle under the 783 between the 2 deepest parts is interesting as is the odd flair between 20' and 30' to the West, something different is going on there, worth a look or 2.

Offline Drahtfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:59 AM »
The lake has catails on the north side from the 'a' in lake around the point toward the west.  I might drill some holes off the point and head south west toward deeper water.  Never chased perch but the lake is small enough that I think I can start learning.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:04 PM »
look for the flats,in20 to 30ft water,if it is mid winter there,fish may be almost dormant move ,move,move i would use glo
with spikes,MUST have a fish finder now.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.