Author Topic: hook type?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline swamp puppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
hook type?
« on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:06 PM »
i just got a few new tip ups with the intent of rigging them up for perch. i mostly jig for them but wanted to have a few perch tip ups spread about to help locate schools moving around. my real question for those of you who perch fish with tip ups is if you use treble hooks or regular old single hooks?

Offline Blitz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hook type?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I use a size 18 treble hook on the panfish tipups.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I have been using Quick Strike Rigs (GREAT for getting bait stealing perch and crappie!) for a couple decades and use them when ever its legal. When I get a flag and feel the fish at the end of the line, 90%+ of the time I hook the fish and almost always in the lips for a easy release. Also when I get to the tilt and pick up the line, if I feel a fish, I set the hook. No waiting, no guessing, I just set the hook and get the fish. I use double Ryder hooks for my rigs and that is the way they started out in England (for pike), were almost all fishing is catch and release. I have included a pic of a double Ryder hook. Partridge Hooks (now owned by Mustad) make the best, but its not hard to make your own.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:49 AM »
i use a single #10 wide gap lazer sharp. i think it depends on the size of the perch you are getting

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I have been using Quick Strike Rigs (GREAT for getting bait stealing perch and crappie!) for a couple decades and use them when ever its legal. When I get a flag and feel the fish at the end of the line, 90%+ of the time I hook the fish and almost always in the lips for a easy release. Also when I get to the tilt and pick up the line, if I feel a fish, I set the hook. No waiting, no guessing, I just set the hook and get the fish. I use double Ryder hooks for my rigs and that is the way they started out in England (for pike), were almost all fishing is catch and release. I have included a pic of a double Ryder hook. Partridge Hooks (now owned by Mustad) make the best, but its not hard to make your own.
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

never thoughtto use that rig on perch, do they make those hooks small enough or do you change over to small trebles. i see you dont put the rear hook on a slider, just leave it loose.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:22 PM »
You can get them small, or even make them yourself. As to letting the back hook slide, I don't have a problem doing it on shiners that aren't to big. For Large pike size, I snell the second hook.

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:56 PM »
I have been using and changing lures out to mosquito hooks-eagle claw or Gamakatsu.  Light and sharp they set easier and are less damaging to the mousie, maggot, or wax worm.  Bad thing is they slide deeper into my skin with less effort.  I like trebles except when a gill or perch gets 2 points in the upper lip and one in the bottom!

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I use a single octopus-style Gamakatsu hook for perch on my Polar tip ups.  My rig is (from the main dacron line), small 20 lb barrel swivel, 2'-3' of 4lb mono, two orange beads, orange #8 Gamakatsu hook.  Size B or BB split shot about 8" above hook.  Hook rosie or emerald shiner behind dorsal and suspend 6" to 1' off bottom.  If that doesn't catch perch on Winnebago, nothing will!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.