The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Got The 40V ~ 4 Months til Christmas!  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Got The 40V ~ 4 Months til Christmas!
« on: Aug 25, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Got here yesterday. Ain’t it pretty!

Bought an extra battery for it from Glen’s Outdoors for $89.95. On sale,  I guess. Probably last year stock.... Regular $149. Everywhere else was $159 or more. May not need the battery, but I’d feed foolish w/o it.  :blink: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Got The 40V ~ 4 Months til Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2019, 09:46 PM »
You're going to like it, unless you're into pulling on a rope, fiddling with the choke, spilling gas or breathing 2 stroke exhaust. The only time I needed the second battery was on a three day trip with three people, but don't count one of them. He is a set 5 traps and don't move all day ice fisherman.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2019, 05:45 AM »
You're going to like it, unless you're into pulling on a rope, fiddling with the choke, spilling gas or breathing 2 stroke exhaust. The only time I needed the second battery was on a three day trip with three people, but don't count one of them. He is a set 5 traps and don't move all day ice fisherman.

HAHA!

Did he catch any fish? That would count.

So, you like the rig. Good! The second battery seemed necessary. I will be keeping my Mora/Tanaka hybrid 8” and using it on occasion around here and it will be with me as backup, generally.

I’m likely going to buy a spare set of blades for the 40V.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Your 10" bit won't drill as many holes per charge as my 8" version but unless you are driling holes for several people I doubt you will need more than one battery for a day. My nonjigging friend has been fishing the same lakes for many years so he knows where to place his traps. He counts as a fisherman but 2 fully charged batteries could drill all of his holes for a season.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2019, 05:25 AM »
Your 10" bit won't drill as many holes per charge as my 8" version but unless you are driling holes for several people I doubt you will need more than one battery for a day. My nonjigging friend has been fishing the same lakes for many years so he knows where to place his traps. He counts as a fisherman but 2 fully charged batteries could drill all of his holes for a season.

Nice! Thanks!

Overkill, like most things I have! haha

I still set traps on slow days, exploring new spots, to find fish and when I take kids. there have been a couple times i cold only only catch whitefish on deadstick or dead bait tip-ups.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2019, 04:11 PM »
I would have bought the 10" but L.L. Cote only had the 8" in stock. I often set a couple traps in shallow water for trout while I'm jigging in deeper water for perch. I have never fished with 5 traps and no jig pole.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2019, 05:48 PM »
You’re gonna love this auger. Smooth and very powerful. My buddy has one with the 10” bit and he powers thru holes faster than me with my 10” Ion.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Only problem I see is waiting for first ice. I bought an Ion last year and I am anxious for first ice here in northern Illinois. Enjoy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.