Author Topic: Where are they?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Where are they?
« on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:31 PM »
The best lake I fish for spring and early summer gills holds a large quantity and quality of them,problem is,under the ice they seem to dissapear.This lake is featureless for the most part,32' deep at the dam end,tapering to 1' at the inlet.The banks are steep around 3/4 of the lake,the gills spawn on a narrow shelf (about 6' wide )surrounding the biggest portion of the lake in about 8' of water.
   Stepping off the narrow shelf and the water gets rapidly deep, ( 15' ).My question is,where do all these lunker gills go come ice time?

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where are they?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Edge of weeds?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Gills are right under you hole, just not biting your offering.  Are you using electronic?  Are you fishing early and late?

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Gills are right under you hole, just not biting your offering.  Are you using electronic?  Are you fishing early and late?

Drilling holes like a Texas oil tycoon,I use a troller ,but somehow they seem to be elsewhere.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:25 PM »

Drilling holes like a Texas oil tycoon,I use a troller ,but somehow they seem to be elsewhere.

Ask that guy in the Pictures section- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Maybe suspended over deep water..

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2018, 11:56 PM »
Look for the weed lines, or the  change in bottom composition as it goes from shallow to deep. Often times, I find the gills hanging along a certain depths, riming the basin adjacent to the shallows that they feed in. The way that body of water is discribed, do your best to locate the original creekbed. that will be the highway that the fish will travel along.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:50 PM »

Not sure what a troller is. If you know where you catch them in the spring, start there. Start a little closer to the shore and work out to the edges. I have found That gills migrate cold early spring move into the warmer water. As the season and spawn moves on they move into cooler water. Then as the cooler water starts loosing oxygen they will move back up to the oxygen rich weeds. As the weeds start to die off they move back out towards deep water. Happens every year. Hope this helps!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Not sure what a troller is.
   (  Marcum ice troller,)thanks for the info,I will give it a good effort to find them.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2018, 11:18 AM »
There is a small local lake I fish that you can drill 200 holes and spend all day looking and never mark a fish. But show up at 8-9 o'clock after dark, and it's a slamfest of hogs.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2018, 12:42 PM »
There is a small local lake I fish that you can drill 200 holes and spend all day looking and never mark a fish. But show up at 8-9 o'clock after dark, and it's a slamfest of hogs.
great point!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.