The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hub shelter in wind  (Read 2626 times)

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hub shelter in wind
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:30 AM »
Had the new shack out yesterday. Was the first time setting up in the wind. Was kinda a hassle but got it set up. Do you guys have any tricks to setting them up?

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hub shelter in wind
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Stand on the storm flaps and have one guy install ice anchors and then haul big rocks out to put on storm flaps...usually no snow on lake I fish so I can't seal the flaps down well unless I stand on the flap and toss water on it and wait till it freezes which doesn't work the best.  I have already had 2 ice anchors bend in half.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:20 PM »
I have already had 2 ice anchors bend in half.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone "planted" a Christmas tree out on the ice and create a wind-row ;^).

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:32 PM »
I usually have my four year old with me.  He's a little light to stand on the storm flaps. Was thinking of figuring out the spacing on the corners so I can at least get a couple ice screws in for the corner tie downs. But then you got to still have it weighted down to crawl under and secure corners.  Wish mine had grommets right in storm flap to screw a anchor right in

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I've been on the lookout for a good length of old logging chain for those snowless lakes.  I haven't tried it yet. 

Bullelk34

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:09 PM »
I usually have my four year old with me.  He's a little light to stand on the storm flaps. Was thinking of figuring out the spacing on the corners so I can at least get a couple ice screws in for the corner tie downs. But then you got to still have it weighted down to crawl under and secure corners.  Wish mine had grommets right in storm flap to screw a anchor right in

Chuck have you seen a grommet kit? I just used one for the first time this summer, the kit is like 5 bucks and you can install a heavy duty metal grommet in any material. Might try that?

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:35 PM »
I take an old hand drill(hand drill as in what they used to drill holes with before electricity) with a bit that is smaller than my ice screws in diameter in it and I drill one pre-sunk hole with the hand drill then take out my pop-up and quickly put that corner down with an ice screw in to the pre-drilled hole. That keeps my popup from blowing away while I go pre-drill the other four corners and put ice screws in them too. The pre-drilling of the holes really helps with a quick setup in wind without your popup blowing away. I do the same type of pre-drilling for the side rope ice screws as well. There is usually snow on the lakes I fish so I can't help you with what to do for the sides though as I bury mine in snow mostly.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I love that idea, I think I've seen you share that one before.  I've been on the look out for one for awhile, not too easy to come by these days.

Bullelk34

« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Might check eBay Henry, I think they called them "Brace and bit" in the old days. They must have tougher than we are today to work with them all day.

Great idea Cornbread, I pack a DeWalt, might have to get an old hand drill for myself too.

Offline dumpld1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The world is my Ice House
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Cordless drill eight inch lag screws with washers works like a charm and fast on a breezey day. ;) ;) :tipup:

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:21 PM »
That will prob be the trick. Get one ice anchor started to secure a corner up wind. I have been using a dewalt but know where there is a brace and bit at work. Don't think they'll miss it since we drill with power drills now a days.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Here is my drill I was talking about. It takes regular bits and is a fairly modern one. I got it at a local hardware store, the guy said it had been sitting there as long as he had been working there and no one had ever even looked at it until I came in and bought it. So check your local stores just in case they have one sitting there too :)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Awesome! Thanks! Helps knowing what they are called!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Lighter than a dewalt and no batteries to be drained by the cold. Love it

Bullelk34

« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Lighter than a dewalt and no batteries to be drained by the cold. Love it

That's what I'm thinking too- an no worries about water/ice!

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:26 PM »
I use a dewalt impact driver. I took 6" structural screws and welded washers on them for a better bite on the tie downs. I got a grommet kit and put one in each corner and three in the field on each side of the flap. Havent ripped a grommet out yet. Fish daileys a lot. Always windy!

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:30 PM »
I forgot to mention that when I put grommets in my Eskimo I folded the flap under about an inch and a half so the grommet would have two layers in it. My clam thermal was thick enough to put grommets in single layer

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Where does a guy find one of those grommet kits

Bullelk34

« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:52 PM »
We picked it up at our local hardware store- I imagine the True Value there in Columbus has them. If not Billings will--

Offline Batanga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:58 PM »
I have a larger double hub shelter that I love.  I have set it up in 25 mph wind, by myself, with relative ease several times.  I find that aligning it with the wind works best (less wind resistance).  I put two screws in the windward corners and one for the windward hub tension anchor chord prior to "popping" the hubs out.  I find that this way works well for me when I am by myself.  Once set up, I drill my holes and put in the remaining ice screws.  For the screws I also use a cordless drill. I have a homemade bit attachment that attaches to the screws that came with my shelter...super easy and fast to get the screws in with that setup. 

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:03 PM »
I picked up an older "bit and brace" at a garage sale a couple summers ago.  I have also seen them in some of the pawn shops. 

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:23 AM »
A chordless with a socket with a notch in it to fit over the screw head works wonders. I have a double hub and it has with stood winds in excess of 58 mph if anchored properly, I use a little water and ice shavings to keep the flaps secured down to the ice. There is no "perfect" way to set any shelter up by yourself in the wind you will just have to find what works best for you.
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.