Author Topic: Underwater Cameras  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Muser

• IceShanty Rookie
Underwater Cameras
« on: Nov 24, 2022, 11:46 PM »
I've been researching these cameras for a few days.
Does anyone own one or can share what you know about any of them?

I'm leaning toward the Aqua-Vu micro Revolution 4.3, 5.0 or the micro Revolution Pro 5.0 version of same.
I want it primarily for ice fishing, but also year round use.

I'm looking for a Black Friday or Cyber Monday Sale for them, so far no luck...

Offline Jdobbins

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Underwater Cameras
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2022, 12:06 AM »
I have been looking at the refurbished models on the Aqua-Vu and Marcum sites. Looks like some good discounts and they even come with warranties. You can get the Aqua-Vu micro stealths for $99.

Offline Muser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2022, 01:33 AM »
Thanks Jd, yes I've been all over the Aqua-Vu site.
Buying a refurbished unit sounds pretty "iffy" after seeing you can get a 7" or a 10" HD model for the same refurbed price.
Makes you wonder what's up with that?

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2022, 03:47 AM »
I've had this one for 4 yrs. & just ordered a 2nd one for the dvr function for a project I'm working on. The one thing i have noticed is, the bigger the screen, the less the function. They make my same cam in a 9" model w/dvr but no water temp./ depth display which renders it useless other than entertainment imo.

Limited-time deal: Portable Underwater Fishing Camera with Depth Temperature Display-Waterproof HD Camera and 7'' LCD Monitor-Infrared Fish Finder-Up to 8 Hours Battery Life-Ultimate Fishing Gear https://a.co/d/3eZaNo7

Offline Jdobbins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2022, 10:38 AM »
How is the image quality on a unit like that? How about controlling where it is aiming - do you have a control arm or mount for the cord?

Offline Muser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Ronnie, that's good to know, which one do you have?
And which one did you order?

JD, that's a big consideration for me too. The best image quality will be with an HD unit, giving the best possible separation of fish and objects. Screen size apparently also makes a difference.
Lighting seems to be a factor also. Look at the comparison chart at Aqua-Vu for the cameras in the micro units. You'll see a significant difference between the 4.3" and the 5". I don't know how much difference it makes in actuality.

Some Aqua-Vu models come either with or without extra information like displaying camera depth and direction.

Check out this link- https://www.aquavu.com/web-assets/product-compare-charts/aqua-vu-micro-comparison_2020-2-2.pdf

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2022, 04:36 PM »
The unit i have is the 7", nondvr model
I ordered the 7" w/ dvr model
I wanted the 9 " w/ dvr model but there is no temp/ depth display.
The clarity on any cam is gonna be about what you could see w/ a scuba mask in the water your fishing. Mich. waters are mostly chocolate milk , so about 6'.
I used an old tipup for a mount , but they have panaromic tripod / remote control ones that aren't expensive. It's great for set up/ Scouting on spear holes & tipups

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Also forgot to tell ya , i use mine early morning & in the darkhouse. Any camera on a bright/sunny day is gonna be difficult to see

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2022, 06:25 PM »
1.) How do you intend to use the camera? Makes a difference. I've got an Marcum Micro I use to scout holes, fished with it a coupla times when I let others use my locator.

2.) If you intend to fish with it instead of a flasher/locator get a bigger screen than a micro. Just like buying an outboard motor for a boat. Horsepower is cheapest when you buy it new. If you buy short and want to upgrade it costs you twice.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Muser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Thanks for weighing in esox. I appreciate your advice. I'd like to make this a "one and done" to move on to other things.
I plan to use it year-round. Ice fishing and learning better the lakes I fish.
And yes, in place of a flasher.

Ronnie - "Any camera on a bright/sunny day is gonna be difficult to see."   
Is this due to the amount of light in the water at camera viewing depth, or direct light and reflected light topside on the screen?

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2022, 01:21 AM »
The screen image is difficult to see when your viewing in bright. ambient light environment/ has nothing to do w/ water Those screens shade covers dont help much eithe.

Offline EYOYO

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:23 PM »
I've been researching these cameras for a few days.
Does anyone own one or can share what you know about any of them?

I'm leaning toward the Aqua-Vu micro Revolution 4.3, 5.0 or the micro Revolution Pro 5.0 version of same.
I want it primarily for ice fishing, but also year round use.

I'm looking for a Black Friday or Cyber Monday Sale for them, so far no luck...
Have a look at our EYOYO underwater fishing camera on amazon! The deal price is only $120 bucks on Amazon now :)

EYOYO underwater fishing camera maker!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.