New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Blue Mountain Lake  (Read 3496 times)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Blue Mountain Lake
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Anyone been out on blue mountain or eagle lake in recent years? Thinking there might be a few hungry brookies under the ice  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blue Mountain Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:57 AM »
I fish Blue once or twice a year, but I've never seen a brook trout come out of it.  Perhaps they're in there though, it's a big enough lake and I generally stick to one area.  DEC lists them.  but I was fishing another lake yesterday and we caught pickerel and perch which were not listed by DEC   :P

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I fish Blue and Eagle a lot in summer there is brookies,salmon and lakers. Went by Blue yesterday it is froze over but no one out there yet.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:51 PM »
Blue mountain lake has always been the ice-out spring fishing spot for me... But its only getting worse every year.. I remember about 15 - 20 years ago there were so many smelt in the small inlet streams that I could corner some in shallow water and grab a few with my hands!! And this was in broad daylight! Now there's not a single smelt to be found in that lake to my knowledge.. And the behavior of the fish has since changed.. The salmon have been few and far between and the Lakers are barely breaking legal size... I've never tried it on the ice but maybe this year I'll give it a shot.. Any stories or info is welcome  ;D I've got plenty of ideas of my own  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I was out scouting yesterday. Blue Mountain lake is locked up, but no one fishing. Drove up to long lake, lower narrow section is locked up, but north of the Rt 30 bridge is open water in the middle. Algonquin,& Indian lake, & Durant are locked up as well. Good luck fellas!

Offline Charcrzy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Hey TBlaster, I'm interested as well. Don't know anything though. I have my thoughts as well. My goal this year is to see a brookie on the ice. Many say its easy, but their suggestions aren't legal. The only time I don't fish is hunting season. I need my license or I'd go crazy not fishing. If you have a legal spot that's easy, I'd be interested. Says your by 7th any luck there? I've caught lakers on open water there, but I haven't ice fished it.  :tipup:

Offline StriperLund

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fisherman Who Hunts
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Best spot for Brook Trout that I know is Raquette Lake. Not far from Blue Mountain. I am sure if you do the homework you will find some trout waters in the St. Regis/ Tupper region, that can be Ice fished but I know for a fact Raquette lake still has a lot of Brook Trout to be had. Raquette Lake did hold the State Record Brook Trout for a brief stint a few years ago. South end of the lake is pretty good but the middle basin is usually better. Brookies, a few Whitefish and, always Lake Trout. Throw in a few perch and the potential is there for a banner day. :tipup: Do not over look the bait. Shiners will work but you want mud minnows. I don't know if anywhere sells them but I was introduced to them catching them in traps even in the winter. I am sure, in this new "certified bait" era it is illegal to use them and trap them but I remember that being the key to success, when I was a kid. Good Luck on this Venture :tipup:
Ain't No Buddy Gots Time Fo' Dat!!!

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Hey TBlaster, I'm interested as well. Don't know anything though. I have my thoughts as well. My goal this year is to see a brookie on the ice. Many say its easy, but their suggestions aren't legal. The only time I don't fish is hunting season. I need my license or I'd go crazy not fishing. If you have a legal spot that's easy, I'd be interested. Says your by 7th any luck there? I've caught lakers on open water there, but I haven't ice fished it.  :tipup:

Ive done quite well on 7th lake before (on ice and in the spring) and one thing is for sure- you never know. I watched my father pull a 14 pound rainbow trout thru the ice years ago, just as the sun was coming up, a healthy one with big shoulders.. I remember saying "wow" all day long, and the following day we went back to the same spot and caught nothing... Its always been that way.. Salmon can be found in both 7th and blue mountain, but odds are you will just be chasing flags with small Lakers on the end of the line and your baited hook will be totally swallowed.. I think if you can keep your tip ups in brook trout territory, you should be able to stay away from those stunted hungry Lakers.. Now to find the brook trout territory..... Hmmmmmmm  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.