The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Report on Seeley Area Lakes (12/30/07 to 1/2/08)  (Read 875 times)

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
Report on Seeley Area Lakes (12/30/07 to 1/2/08)
« on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:44 AM »
I just returned from a 4-day fishing stint in the Seeley area.  Here's some current info on the lakes I was able to hit:

Salmon Lake (12/30) - Clear ice approx 6-7 inches on the northern half of the lake, just north of the last island.  No standing water (until the holes were drilled, that is).  Hard to believe, but I saw 3 or 4 pickup trucks traveling on the surface...they were a bit further up the northern part of the lake, so maybe the ice was thicker there (I'm guessing).  Bite for pike was way slow, probably because this little muskrat kept popping up in my shanty holes (all day!)...maybe because I was feeding him some dead bait????  He was entertaining to see, though.

Seeley Lake (12/31/07) - 6 inches standing water at the River Point access, hidden beneath a 2 inch crust (sneaky, huh?).  After walking out a short distance, I decided to turn around and hit Placid Lake instead.  I did not see anyone else on this lake for the 4 days I was staying in town.

Placid Lake (12/31/07) - This one had 1-2 inches of standing water underneath the crust, but was fishable.  Clear ice was approx 6 inches.

Echo Lake (near Flathead L.) (1/1/07) - Only 3-4 inches of clear ice, with another 1-2 inch white ice layer on top.  Some areas were slushy on surface, but most of the ice was dry on top.  Perch bite was hot (right off the bottom), but almost all were under 6 inches.  I must have pulled up 50-60 perch around the main island, mostly at 9 - 13 ft deep; biggest one was about 9 inches.  I had a tip-up set up all day for pike, no takers.  BTW, I took a drive out to the northern part of Flathead Lake - absolutely no ice ANYWHERE).

Brown Lake (just west of Lincoln) (1/2/07) - Approx 11-12 inches of clear ice, under 4-5 inches of dry snow.  Plenty of folks were out there fishing for trout, but bite was slow for everyone that I talked to.  I was at about 17 feet of water, saw several on the LX-5 come off the bottom to sniff the lure/bait....tried everything, not one bite all day!  Those fishing in 6-8 ft had slightly better luck.

That's about all the fun I had....hope it's useful for somebody planning on fishing these lakes in the next few days.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Report on Seeley Area Lakes (12/30/07 to 1/2/08)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Thanks Coldfinger that was really helpful!  Sounds like you did alot of Fishin' and not much catchin'  thats unfortunate.

Better luck on your next outing!!!
Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline floopus64

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Report on Seeley Area Lakes (12/30/07 to 1/2/08)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Kids and I hit Lower Stillwater on 1/1/08.  There is water and slush under a crust of snow, then about 4 inches of white ice followed by 10 inches of black ice.  We watched a bunch of ATV's having a tough time fighting the crust and slush.  Snowmobiles seemed to move along pretty well and walking was best behind their tracks.  Fishing was slow (2 perch), but the kids got soaking wet from the slush in about an hour, so I didn't have time to try too many spots.

I may hit Smith Lake just to stay out of the slush.

Floop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.