Author Topic: Marcum LX-i unit  (Read 2799 times)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Marcum LX-i unit
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 02:09 PM »
Does anyone else here have or had the Marcum LX-i handheld sonar unit?
Here's my issue and I was surprised what Marcum had to say. I've had the unit for about 3- 4 years. Great tool, I loved it when working, used it alot when bouncing around. This year it started to only read depths sometimes. Put brand new battery in, even though the other was pretty new. Same thing but now it barely ever will read. It turns on and does it's "ticking" thing like it's trying to read, but nothing.
Marcum says they don't repair these units and at this point to just junk it. **censored**.
At $140, really? That's it? Are these really throw away units after a few years?
 has anyone had this happen or were able to fix it?
I'll be going to a vex unit I think. They just lost my business for the future.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum LX-i unit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:01 PM »
I went round and round with them on a camera that wouldn’t stay “on” unless you held the power button. They seem pretty much useless but I did get them to send me spare parts (which didn’t fix the problem)
I gave the unit away to a young guy on here that thought he could fix it…I did rig a clamp that would hold the power button on….I still have another full working unit but it’s for sale on Craigslist. Was fun watching those lakers on a color screen!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:14 PM »
I had one that died a few years back and bought another one that has been going strong. Im not to sure that I would be excited about buying another one if they wont do a thing to try to fix them.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:24 PM »
I’ve never liked Marcum, the majority of my buddies have them I think because they got a “ deal “. It’s not a deal when it’s just what it’s worth lol. Anyhow always something wrong with all of them at all times and they end up using my stuff. Specifically the Showdown moreso than the other junk they have.

Vex is top notch. I loved mine for 10 years. I have a ice helix 5 now and it’s more machine than I’ll ever need. Should prob just sell it. Now that I fish on hard water 2 times a year lol.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:42 PM »
If you want to try mine out buddy let me know, it’s pretty sweet shows all the maps and all and you can pick a spot and go I prob won’t need it for 2 weeks

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:48 PM »
Appreciate it, but this was just a handheld depth unit I use when bouncing around or locating shelves and whatnot. It's one of the pieces of equipment I use alot because it's so easy to just dip it in and get a depth, rather than pull the bigger unit out. Not to diverge from my initial issue, yes someday I'd love a helix 5 frank, but what I have works enough for what I do.

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Appreciate it, but this was just a handheld depth unit I use when bouncing around or locating shelves and whatnot. It's one of the pieces of equipment I use alot because it's so easy to just dip it in and get a depth, rather than pull the bigger unit out. Not to diverge from my initial issue, yes someday I'd love a helix 5 frank, but what I have works enough for what I do.

Yeah I saw you said handheld sonar, well if you want it lemme know buddy.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:13 PM »
I had a similar handheld unit 10+ years ago made by Norcross.  Had it for a couple years and it started glitching.  Coincidentally, Norcross was a customer of mine - so I pulled some strings and had them look at it.  They 'repaired' it and it worked for another half season or so and it gave up the ghost.  Reached back out to them and they pretty much told me the same thing as Marcum is telling you.  "Not much we can do about it" and that buying a new one was my best bet.

I think it is just nature of the beast - for them to bring it in and try to repair it out of warranty would not make much economic sense to them.  It would have been nice if they threw you a promo code for a discount on purchase of a new one though.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:21 PM »
Planned obsolescence ..... isnt neat.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:56 PM »
Ha! I've got one.. its buried in a box somewhere
,and I need to dig it out, mine has never read consistently,  I HAD a vex. Hand held, LOVED  it, but lost it last week, i lost it somewhere the last time we fished,I hate the Marcum, its bulky , its crappy battery and the fact that  it only works when I keep it warm.. i just dont want to spend close to $150 for a new Vex..nex season.. MAYBE

Love my Marcum flasher.. but the hand held.. right there with small mouths!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:13 PM »
sorry for you, I was considering getting one but wont now. I recall there was an old one that Roccus used that was bullet proof. Polar vision or something. I think it would be a good tool. 
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:18 PM »
sorry for you, I was considering getting one but wont now. I recall there was an old one that Roccus used that was bullet proof. Polar vision or something. I think it would be a good tool.
You are correct, the polar vision was like 10 years old.. bullet proof.. until i LOST  it.. I think they are no longer made. I'm going to Google it now!.. thanks for the reminder Wane

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:21 PM »
Appreciate all the input fellas. Guess there's really no where else for me to go with this.
Honestly at this point I'm just ordering the vex unit. I've heard good things over the years.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:22 PM »
Yeah I saw you said handheld sonar, well if you want it lemme know buddy.
Thanks pal !!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:23 PM »
Ha! I've got one.. its buried in a box somewhere
,and I need to dig it out, mine has never read consistently,  I HAD a vex. Hand held, LOVED  it, but lost it last week, i lost it somewhere the last time we fished,I hate the Marcum, its bulky , its crappy battery and the fact that  it only works when I keep it warm.. i just dont want to spend close to $150 for a new Vex..nex season.. MAYBE

Love my Marcum flasher.. but the hand held.. right there with small mouths!
Bummer about the loss Joe.
And I do remember you saying you loved the vex anyway

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Jason read my PM.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Jason read my PM.
I just saw it  ;)
Thanks

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:44 PM »
Its sad to think most manufacturers running “quality” around the 150$ range usually doesn’t mean quality anymore. It seem like the price of cheap stuff is more and the price for great stuff is ridiculous. I bought a new vex unit for this season, it’s a good one, but it sucked having to shell out the cash for that. Either way, these manufacturers all across the board need to realize their consumers are getting fed up with jumping on this inflation wagon and finding was to minimize good quality.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Its sad to think most manufacturers running “quality” around the 150$ range usually doesn’t mean quality anymore. It seem like the price of cheap stuff is more and the price for great stuff is ridiculous. I bought a new vex unit for this season, it’s a good one, but it sucked having to shell out the cash for that. Either way, these manufacturers all across the board need to realize their consumers are getting fed up with jumping on this inflation wagon and finding was to minimize good quality.
They don't care, profit over rides customer satisfaction..as long as we buy, there is not alot we can do..its a problem with every  industry.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:29 PM »
Reeds has the Vex onnsale for $119

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:51 PM »
They don't care, profit over rides customer satisfaction..as long as we buy, there is not alot we can do..its a problem with every  industry.

This ^

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:39 AM »
Bit the bullet and ordered one from Reeds.. $119 free shipping.. that thing is a valuable tool for me finding the edges of the drops and bowls I love to fish. dragging out the flasher is a pain in the rump and slow... and that Marcum unit isn't worth the battery that in it.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:22 AM »
Bit the bullet and ordered one from Reeds.. $119 free shipping.. that thing is a valuable tool for me finding the edges of the drops and bowls I love to fish. dragging out the flasher is a pain in the rump and slow... and that Marcum unit isn't worth the battery that in it.
^^Exactly

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:54 AM »
I've had mine atleast 10 years and have only had to change the battery once!  Use it religiously, havent sounded a hole in forever, speeds up trap setting big time.  When its super cold like this weekend, it does seem to take a little longer searching for the depth.  I think same thing applies to ponds that arent as clear but only a guess.  Glad I got one of the working models!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:11 AM »
Nice! I had no idea they had such a device…definitely a good time saver over dropping a clip on weight and estimating the depth by the “hand over hand” method! 😂

Offline djhornet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:33 PM »
As far as quality, my units are all still working 100% and I love them.  I have a vs 485c and an mx-7gps.  I had a problem with my mx-7, sent out and got it back real fast.  I am not super happy that they want you to junk your unit, they should at least repair whether or not they are going to warranty.  I am not happy about that at all.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:40 PM »
Got my replacement Vex. Yesterday

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2022, 04:59 PM »
Got my replacement Vex. Yesterday
Nice.
Well a good friend of ours on here was kind enough to send me a used extra marcum he had. (Very Much appreciated Den) Unfortunately that one had issues too. Needless to say I will not be a Marcum customer in the future.
My new Vex is on its way!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:57 PM »
Nice.
Well a good friend of ours on here was kind enough to send me a used extra marcum he had. (Very Much appreciated Den) Unfortunately that one had issues too. Needless to say I will not be a Marcum customer in the future.
My new Vex is on its way!
FYI got myself a set of hole covers after seeing yours in action..never beenna fan, but the serve a purpose.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:18 PM »
FYI got myself a set of hole covers after seeing yours in action..never beenna fan, but the serve a purpose.

They are a must for me unless egg fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.