Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 1897 times)

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice cleats
« on: Nov 25, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I seemed to go through a pair of ice cleats almost every year. Mostly yak trax types, spiral wire breaks or rubber strap breaks or I lose one walking in stcky slush conditions.  What is your favorite type of ice cleats. I would be wearing them over a size 12 boot? Looking on Amazon there are lots of choices but reviews are often mixed.   

Offline Gofish41

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice cleats
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2021, 08:55 AM »
I had the same problems with slip on style cleats.   I have been using the same pair of STABILICERS MAXX cleats for the past few years without any problems.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I had a pair of the kahtoola's until I accidentally rubberband shot one off my foot trying to adjust it and it went right down the hole  :%$#!:

Now I got a pair of stabilicers and they work good. Just don't get the ones with cleats only in the front. Those things will kill you.

-----------
woops, I lied, they weren't kahtoolas, they were kahtoola knock offs.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:12 AM »
 Great price HW ,make a good spare set
 Kold kutters on my trans Alaskans
 14 year old micro spikes on my packs

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2021, 01:47 PM »
KoldKutters

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2021, 05:09 PM »
Been using Yak Trax Diamond Grips for years now.................
Where's the FISH?!

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Started with the Celcius but didn't like sliding around on my heals if I wasn't paying attention, went to the Katoolas but they only lasted a season, broke when I went to put them on at the begining of the second season, now I have the Amazon knockoffs that are list above, this will be my third season with them and haven't had any problems with them yet.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Kahtoolas all day

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Kahtoola microspikes.  You can often get them for 20% off from Kittery Trading Post.  Kahtoola has great customer service as well.  I had a pair break outside of the warranty period, and they sent a new pair no questions asked.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2021, 04:45 PM »
this will be yr 4 of me using 22 dollars amazon cleats.

Not sure why they haven't broke yet but i'm not complaining. I did have one metal loop open up so I fixed that in 10 seconds with some pliers but they have been great.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Korkers 20+ years and still running for  :tipup:

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2021, 05:39 PM »
Stabilizicers once and done. Maybe in ten years replace a few screws…

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Going on a decade with my Kahtoola’s. And before another thread gets started they go on my size 14 Muck Arctic Pros also going on a decade of winter use. Who am I kidding, “boot” threads are inevitable.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2021, 11:55 AM »
I use these. Go to Craigslist Chicago and enter Safety Treads. Cost is $5 but you would pay shipping. May be worth a try. Good luck.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Started with the Celcius but didn't like sliding around on my heals if I wasn't paying attention, went to the Katoolas but they only lasted a season, broke when I went to put them on at the begining of the second season, now I have the Amazon knockoffs that are list above, this will be my third season with them and haven't had any problems with them yet.
Should of contacted them. They would of replaced them for free.

My vote is for Kahtoolas. Going on year 5 or 6 with mine. No problems. They are starting to show some wear on the metal spikes though, which is normal for their age. I have the XL size and they fit over my size 12 Baffin Impacts. They are stretched pretty tight to fit and they are very stable. They don’t move around and the chains stay tight and in place. As tight as they are, I can’t believe they haven’t broke yet. They’re a great product.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Kahtoolas' are a very good product, so are the knock offs compared to the junk we had twenty years ago.

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2021, 05:40 PM »
maybe not for everyone, but i use 3/4 inch hex head screws that are screwed into the lugs on my boots. had them in for years with no problems. not good for walking on smooth concrete. or the ole ladies vinyl floor. found that out the hard way.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2021, 05:41 PM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2021, 05:53 PM »
KATHOOLA'S the last 5 yrs

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2021, 06:44 PM »
Kathoolas microspikes.had mine for 6 or 7 years now.knockoffs probably work but you get what you pay for.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:37 PM »

Katoolahs ….(Sp)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.