Author Topic: Blackstrap 2021-2022  (Read 38092 times)

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap 2021-2022
« Reply #120 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:27 PM »
As of yesterday, access at the launches was very good. If you want to get off the beaten paths, you better have 4WD and some clearance.

gman51

« Reply #121 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:37 PM »
What an Awesome day out there today.Met up with a buddy and did some snowmobiling and some fishing. The perch were plentiful and some real nice tubs were landed. But lost out on the $20 for the biggest and the most. All great fun today. lots of fisher people plowing their way through the snow around the lake. most getting to where they were headed an a few not so much.

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:49 AM »
Fished the north end yesterday. Launch at north end has deep ruts and a large heave. Be careful everyone!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline GooseHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Jan 16, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Lots of folks out yesterday.   This was what ot looked like from the launch parking lot.  Can get around the south half pretty well, but 4wd pretty well required.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:21 AM »
Finally iced a nice walleye at strap. 9am, came it and didn't second guess if it wanted the bait. Made some good tacos.
Few other bigger perch and a tiny walleye on Saturday. North access was pretty bad Saturday afternoon.
Good luck out there.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Hmm I only have AWD + snow tires at my disposal. Strap has been great to me so far so I hope this isn't the end. Maybe it's time to head out Diefenbaker way now.

Offline small-town-fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:21 PM »
I heard deifenbaker is worse than blackstrap.
Small town fisher

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:27 PM »
I have been to diefenbaker twice this season. The first time I got two walleyes, two burbots and one whitefish. The second time I got one whitefish and five burbots. I have yet to catch pike or perch.

Offline Waverider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:40 PM »
Hoping to get out sometime this week. Curious to know if the road into the North launch is decent enough for a little car to get down. Also, I've never fished the South side but I hear that's where the blackstrap monsters hide . . . anywhere around there with good access for a car to get to shore? thanks!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:59 AM »
The north end if you have a car you would have to park at the main grid and walk in 4x4 is needed to get down the side road to the lake.
Small town fisher

Offline LENNONg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:46 PM »
The north end if you have a car you would have to park at the main grid and walk in 4x4 is needed to get down the side road to the lake.

I thought I seen a post on the FB page saying hard water angling guys were clearing the road/lot?
I got stuck in my 2wd dakota sat there n went to the south side, got some good size perch where I went too!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:29 PM »
Sorry I dont have face book I did not know about that.
Small town fisher

gman51

« Reply #132 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:54 AM »
pretty quiet... no one catching? to busy shoveling i suppose. haven't been out myself in awhile. looking forward to getting out this week and some trips to deifenbaker.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:35 AM »
I went out on Thursday with my AWD SUV on the south end and got stuck a couple times, and then again at the boat launch trying to leave. Hard packed snow is piling up at the launch real bad.

I ended up just staying near the launch to fish rather than trying to find a path, as they were all blown in. I was still driving on the ice with my car this time last year, this stinks.

The fishing was slower, caught maybe 10 perch with a small group and 1 jack.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:17 AM »
We had a good day Saturday. The perch bite was fairly steady all day, with some periods where the action was hot. We fished with a camera and it was interesting to see how many fish took the bait without any perceptible bite felt. We found that waiting a second to let the fish take a second chomp was necessary in many cases. The first bite involved only part of the maggot, and attempting to set the hook resulted in a swing and a miss. A tiny presentation on the business end worked best.

A few pike were seen, including one which streaked in and actually caught a small perch on camera. Exciting stuff. The only walleye seen was a 14 inch that came and engulfed the jig and maggots without hesitation.

Driving was indeed tough. Part of the problem with the snow at the bottom of the launch was due to a group that offloaded their shack at the top of the launch from a trailer and then dragged it down the launch with a truck. Unfortunately, this pulled a bunch of snow down the ramp and left it deposited at the edge of the ice. Not the best decision.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:14 AM »
We had a good day Saturday. The perch bite was fairly steady all day, with some periods where the action was hot. We fished with a camera and it was interesting to see how many fish took the bait without any perceptible bite felt. We found that waiting a second to let the fish take a second chomp was necessary in many cases. The first bite involved only part of the maggot, and attempting to set the hook resulted in a swing and a miss. A tiny presentation on the business end worked best.

A few pike were seen, including one which streaked in and actually caught a small perch on camera. Exciting stuff. The only walleye seen was a 14 inch that came and engulfed the jig and maggots without hesitation.

Driving was indeed tough. Part of the problem with the snow at the bottom of the launch was due to a group that offloaded their shack at the top of the launch from a trailer and then dragged it down the launch with a truck. Unfortunately, this pulled a bunch of snow down the ramp and left it deposited at the edge of the ice. Not the best decision.

Isn't that nice of them. Wish I owned a plow or bobcat to clear it off.

gman51

« Reply #136 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:40 PM »
This province needs all the moisture it can get right now And in the spring to get that water table up. As for not being able to get out to your fishing spots just gonna have to make the best of it and adapt. I personally hope we get another 2’ it’s just been getting to dry over the last few years in certain areas.

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:08 PM »
Totally agree Rip. After last spring im willing to deal with some snow now if it means our reservoirs arent drying up in a few months...

Looks like some of the mountains are seeing record snowfalls too. Which is good, id like to see a real snowmelt hit the NSR this year.

Guessing Dief will need both to get back to normal, still over 2 meters lower than this time last year.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:16 PM »
Hey all,
Thanks for all the posts and updates on the snow.
Just wondering if people are still driving on from the launches with trucks? Is it still pretty good getting around in 4x4? Want to get my kids out but would rather not get stuck.

Thanks!

gman51

« Reply #139 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:36 AM »
Hey all,
Thanks for all the posts and updates on the snow.
Just wondering if people are still driving on from the launches with trucks? Is it still pretty good getting around in 4x4? Want to get my kids out but would rather not get stuck.

Thanks!
  all your questions already answered scroll up...

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:51 AM »
By the time I came off the ice on Saturday the North boat launch had a good trail to get off.  Did see someone stuck at the South boat launch trying to get off at the bottom.  There are lots of trails blazed now going to Evans road, across from the launches, and heading North.  Still seems to be perch all over the place. 

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:22 AM »
By the time I came off the ice on Saturday the North boat launch had a good trail to get off.  Did see someone stuck at the South boat launch trying to get off at the bottom.  There are lots of trails blazed now going to Evans road, across from the launches, and heading North.  Still seems to be perch all over the place.

Someone helped pull me out when I got stuck there too. Had to get a real good run at it to plow through.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:12 PM »

Thanks CR! Appreciate the response.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:09 PM »
A big Thanks to the generous soul who cleared the snow way from the base of the boat launch. Driving on and off was no problem today.
Driving down the lake wasn't too bad either if one avoided the previous trails that have collected snow.

Today's screaming gale meant tent fishing only. The bite was light, and I had to downsize to the smallest hooks I had to connect with the perch. DH saw one nice walleye on camera, and brought up a 4-5 lb pike after what he called "the best battle of the ice season". We stayed until dark, but the hoped for walleye bite didn't happen.

Not losing our tents to the wind was a double win.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:58 PM »
A big Thanks to the generous soul who cleared the snow way from the base of the boat launch. Driving on and off was no problem today.
Driving down the lake wasn't too bad either if one avoided the previous trails that have collected snow...

I owe whoever cleared it a beer or ten for sure!

Offline ZXJpYW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Jan 29, 2022, 05:06 PM »
How's the fishing and access for north/south side? Still good?

New to Saskatoon this season and planning to take a day trip tomorrow. Would be happy to catch a meal of perch or walleye. Although the walleye bite does not sound too phenomenal right now.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Good entrance at the boat launches, and there seem to be perch all over still.   Although today was a little slower as the bite was very soft.  I missed a lot of sets today, but still caught over 50.  The South end seems to have a little bigger perch then the North end....just saying.....I haven't been to the North end for a month now.  Just don't be scared to drill 6 to 8 holes in one area and hole hope, or even move to another area...you will find them.

Offline ZXJpYW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:39 PM »
Good entrance at the boat launches, and there seem to be perch all over still.   Although today was a little slower as the bite was very soft.  I missed a lot of sets today, but still caught over 50.  The South end seems to have a little bigger perch then the North end....just saying.....I haven't been to the North end for a month now.  Just don't be scared to drill 6 to 8 holes in one area and hole hope, or even move to another area...you will find them.

Cheers pal, appreciate the info. Time to scout a spot or two. See y'all out there tomorrow!

Tight lines everyone!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:53 AM »
Yesterday with that wind seemed cooler then Saturday.  Fished 4 different areas on the South end.  All 4 areas held large numbers of Perch.  I would say between 10 and 2:30 was when the bite was the best.  Stayed until 4:30 and it slowed down a bit.  I fished one area South of Evans Road, and 3 different spots North of the launches.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:44 AM »
I almost didn't go out Sunday but ended up catching ~40 small perch and 5 keepers, a nice pike, and then a monster pike nearly destoryed my setup.

I had a Jaw-Jacker out with a 8" herring, but unbeknownst to me it had frozen solid, so when it got hit it didn't popup, or ring the bells. I ended up going out to stretch my legs and could hear my drag screaming, so I ran over and over half my line was already gone... Of course during this time she had also ran all the way over to my camp, and did a few laps around my camera cord and my jigging line. So I could feel that the fish was stuck on something after fighting it for a few minutes, assumed it must've been my camera, and then walked the 25ft over to my tent with my rod. THe bucket I had my jigging rod on was tipped over, rod gone, all my loose lures were yard saled around the hole, and my camera display was half pulled into the hole (thankfully it didnt fit). I managed to pull the jack up by the camera cord, and the tip up line snapped as she came up, but I got my thumb in her mouth before she could drop back down. Ended up being my PB jack at almost 37", but super fat. Sadly she had a treble right down her throat into her stomach, so I didn't get to send her back.

Total disaster, it probably sounds made up. Thankfully my jigging rod was also wrapped up in the camera so I did get it back haha.

Blackstrap does have some giants apparently!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.