Author Topic: Coleman Lantern-BTU’S?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Coleman Lantern-BTU’S?
« on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I went out to my 8x16 fish house yesterday. It was 21 below when I got there and lit my 20,000 btu direct vent heater. It usually takes the time it takes to drill my holes to get warm enough to be sweating when holes are drilled and skimmed. At the last minute before leaving home I grabbed my propane Coleman lantern that had been hanging, unused, in my garage for at least 10-15 years. I figured the extra heat boost might help, couldn’t hurt. It started up first try, and then came the old familiar hiss. I was shocked at how much heat came off it even though I used it to heat my old poorly insulated 6x8 house. It still took almost 2 hours to get up to 50 degrees in the house! Does anybody know the btu rating on the lantern, if there even is one?  It was really relaxing and nostalgic hearing and watching that old lantern.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Coleman Lantern-BTU’S?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Dont quote me on this but i think its around 1700 btu for a 2 mantle white gas lantern.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Did a quick google search on this topic - most sites say that the output is around 1500 - 1700 watts which would be about 4000 - 5000 btu's.  There are even some old Shanty posts on this from 2008. 

It always amazes me when doing a search that the first post that comes up - is something from the Shanty! 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2021, 09:12 AM »
Im not arguing but that btu seems high.i know the best coleman lantern is the dual fuel and it says 2400btu on the box.i do not believe any lantern has the same btu as a little buddy heater.i use both and the little buddy gets my flipover warm where i have to shut it off.lantern just stays lit.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2021, 10:27 AM »
True - read your post and then looked it up.  Seems that there is a few different ratings and so not really sure which one it is.  With a btu being 3.41 times a watt - that is what I was thinking about.  Trying to find something that makes sense. 

I always try to regulate it to a lightbulb.  Does it make more sense to think about how much heat comes off a 100 w bulb and then I look at it. 

Will keep looking into this.

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:28 AM »
I've warmed my hands many times over a Coleman lantern; first white gas then LP. Even enough in a small tent, like a one man flip, to make a difference. I know, it's not a hard value, just brought back memories.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:37 AM »
I have heated many shanty’s with a single mantel Coleman lantern always with Coleman fuel never gas...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:57 AM »
A double mantle white gas lantern is all I use in my otter lodge. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2021, 05:15 PM »
I use to run the dual fuel lantern too about 1500 btu listed.  Also have the dual fuel stove and it's same base with 1500 btu listed too.

Then I the old catalyst single propane heater at 1500 btu also.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Tomorrow is supposed to be -15 w/ 15 mph wind. So much for nostalgia, I’m taking the big buddy!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:12 AM »
Just a short follow up. I took the big buddy out, it was -19° when I arrived. I fired the buddy up and I couldn’t believe how fast that house heated up. It wasn’t more than about 20 minutes before I had to take it down off of high, another 15 for medium, and by then the house was up to about 60° with the wall-mounted furnace. The problem came when I left. It’s been so long since I’ve used a non-vented heater that I forgot to leave the door open to get the moisture out before I left. The next day I came back, again at about -19 below zero, and the door lock was frozen so solid that I couldn’t turn the knob. I could get the key in but the knob wouldn’t turn. It took me about 10 minutes with a torch that got the door knob so hot that I can hardly hang onto it with gloves to get that thing to turn and it was still tough. I won’t make that mistake again. Good news is that the fishing was great👍..

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Like someone else said heated many shanties with them.
Years ago that what was used for portable heat.
We also walked through 6’ of snow and it was uphill walking both ways the the shack.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Skadi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Please don't forget the CO dangers when using these white gas lanterns.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2021, 04:54 AM »
Please don't forget the CO dangers when using these white gas lanterns.

im betting there will be several more than usual cases of this, with all the noobs out there now.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.