Author Topic: 1500$ what would you buy  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Missileman

• IceShanty Rookie
1500$ what would you buy
« on: Nov 04, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Decided to get back into ice fishing again after a several year drought. I’m trying to figure out what to buy. I have all the tackle and electronics. I will be fishing mostly myself but also taking the grand kids and or my wife. I know I can’t load a flip over that big into my suv. Was looking at getting a 1 man flip and a pop up for when the kids come. Also need a new auger either electric or gas in that order. Any thoughts or recommendations? After the way this year has gone and approaching retirement I’ve decided it was time to get reacquainted with the peace and solitude of nature. Thanks MM

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: 1500$ what would you buy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Nowhere will you find a bunch of guys more willing to help you spend your money!!! Welcome back into the game!! Plan on doing some research to all the input you get!! You can start by going back on IS posts because there is plenty of info here!! Good luck!!  :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2020, 06:39 PM »
I just bit the bullet on a strikemaster 40v auger. Need to put it through its paces on the ice, but it's looking much nicer than the hand auger Ive been using!

With all the new kit you'll be getting, don't forget a sled to haul it in!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Well since your starting over somewhat ..I suggest a two man flip over with removable seats ..not certain you'll need an insulated version ...next I would steer you toward the StrikeMaster 24v 8" ..no gas smell..unless you have a cordless drill that meets the qualifications needed to operate a ice auger bit ..then I would pair it with an 8" pistol bit. A good and small scouting camera . A good size Jet Sled for days you dont need a shelter . Good rod storage .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2020, 07:10 PM »
You will need to go somewhere and sit in a few huts to decide what your looking for in a 1 man flip.  There is a difference in sizes even in a 1 man.  The hub I have seen are all pretty similar in size to price.  You need to know how big you will need for everyone to fit.  The auger I would just set your self up with a cordless drill and a hand auger.  You may even have the drill already.  Do a search for this and you will see a lot of topics on this.  I have a rigid drill and a 6" laser that works for most all of my fishing needs.  It has even worked in Wi for panfish.  I also have a clam scout for my flip over and for a man my size it does the job.  Im 6'2" and 280 and can fish in it.   
<br />

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2020, 08:06 PM »
I would go with a smaller size hub for when you bring family/friends or a light weight flip if you don't mind the extra weight and hate being outside.

As for a auger I would electric, there is so many to choose from but I like to use a Milwaukee M18 drill with a 8" lazer.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Cordless drill and hbd auger bit would be my reccomendation for an auger.

Can’t offer any advice on the one man right now but those can get heavy in a hurry.  Hub shack is the way to go with the family. 

You didn’t mention ice suit. After auger this is your next purchase.  Striker, clam, Frabil, whatever you choose get one with some flotation. A good ice suit makes needing to haul that one man shack around less of a priority as well.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:07 PM »
IMO, the first thing you need in order to ice fish is a good pair of warm boots. You can have a fancy auger, nice shack, electronics, you name it. But once your feet get cold, you are done for the day. There is no recovering either. If your feet get cold, you’re done. Same goes for the kids if you plan on bringing them with. Those cheap kid boots will not cut it. Two hours in and you’ll be warming their feet by the heater and you won’t be doing much fishing. And there’s nothing wrong with a gas auger. Electric is nice, but gas is cheaper. If you have the money, I’d go electric. Don’t forget the beer.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2020, 02:04 AM »
It would pay the mortgage so I can ice fish for a whole month uninterupted... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2020, 05:07 AM »
If you have the disposable income, i would get some version of an electric auger (ion, kdrill, etc) just based purely on weight. If you'll be a one man operation, even dropping a few pounds will be welcomed in poor dragging conditions. If you go with a cordless drill and a pistol bit, make sure you get at least a 5A battery. Anything less and your drill will die after just a couple holes. A few of my friends fish one man flips but i dont know enough about them to help guide you there. I do love my insulated pop up though.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2020, 07:52 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2020, 08:17 AM »
something nobody has mentioned yet, but check facebook marketplace and craigslist first before running to a store to buy new. I see hub shelters and flip over shacks all the time where I live. I see used tip-ups and jigging rods as well. Hell, there's a guy near me selling a package with a 1 man hut, vexilar flx-12, 5 tip ups, jigging rods, a striker ice suit, an underwater camera, scoops, jigs, etc... for $1000. All you would need is a heater and an auger to get out and fish.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2020, 09:50 AM »
I agree with most of these comments on the electric auger, especially if it is going to be transported inside the SUV. If you have a receiver hitch get one of the cargo haulers for it and get yourself a 3 man flip over that fits on it. Hub shelters are cool, but you loose mobility.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2020, 10:56 AM »
When I had a Equinox for a company car I could load a Clam Nanook in the back.  They weigh about 100 pounds.  Lift one end and set on the back and then go to the other end and lift and push.  If grandkids are with you they can help load it.  If you are by yourself you can remove the second seat to save a few pounds.

Then i would get a good drill and Nils Auger.  You can always use a drill at home, but if you blow your wad on a $500 Ion auger that is all you have, no other uses....
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2020, 11:13 AM »
My Nissan Xterra can fit my 2 man Frabill Adventurer(cousin to trekker/Aegis) with no problems..take some measurements . You may be surprised . Also removing the seats or any parts of the seat may be added room ..the seat portion on my Xterra can be removed for about 3 or so more inches ..Chucking it up some in the front can give you just enough wiggle room.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Hi Missleman - I have a 2-3 man hub Otter which works great when I go out with a bud or soon to be granddaughter.
A Nils hand auger convertible is light and if you decide to pair with a drill seems to be the way to go.
I presume you have boots, bibs, coat, clothing in general. I tie together two large orange double rider sleds. They are cheap, drag easy,
and can put a lot of gear when needed. You can fit the sleds in a mid size suv. I am retiring as soon as we have VT ice. I like the propane heater
as I get older and hub gets you out of the weather and allows me to continue to fish the cold weather days. Hope it all works out.   

Offline Missileman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Appreciate all the input. Most importantly the beer comment. Probably need to look at a smitty sled also. There is a bass pro about 1/2 mile from my work. Good place to check out to see what I like. Not sure about buying there thought. Thanks MM

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2020, 12:36 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/desmoines/search/?query=ice%20shack&exact=false
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/desmoines/search?query=ice%20auger

search around....you should be able to find a cheap used hut and good used auger for half the price of new.
A light 1 man for yourself and decent sized hub for when the family joins

Get some budget ice combos and maybe a tip up or two for when the family comes along. I'd assume you already have some folding camping chairs and maybe a drill for the auger

one of these can heat both styles of shacks and will easily cook for the kids when you're on the ice
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/686647-mr-heater-propane-heater-and-cooker.html

Don't forget safety gear for you and the family - ice picks, cleats, etc.

Catchin' Fish

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2020, 07:29 PM »
i think you're on the money with a 1 man flip over + a pop up. i'd go for a larger popup so you have space for the kids to spread out a bit, and maybe to cook meals inside. plus, if the desire to do an overnighter on the ice ever hits you, you'll appreciate the extra space. i run a clam 5-man insulated hub, and even for just 2 people, it's great. tons of space, heats up quick, and really isn't all that heavy to haul around.

the only other things i'd recommend are a new electric auger and a decent sized sled. i can't really help with which auger in particular as i'm trying to buy my first this year, but i can say a bigger sled is definitely better. a pop-up shelter takes up a significant amount of space, so you'd best plan ahead.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2020, 07:04 AM »
Some good tip downs ..I purchased some Sure Strike ones from Mills Fleet Farm ..unfortunately not certain they are available on line ...at least not yet.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2020, 10:34 AM »
A used quad.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:03 PM »
I’m sure everyone has an idea of what they would buy but.... primarily think about what your going to be doing on the ice. Is it just you or two people? Do you want specific features? So many guys prefer different things, like said in the beginning, take your time and look and the forums to help you gather a sense of what you like and what you may not. I have personally reviewed so many forums here and while running a sled modification now and the feed back I received has just been great! So many great people here giving great feedback and their all our people that get down with the hard water. Take your time and put some thought into it.... WELCOME BACK!!!
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:33 PM »
Decided to get back into ice fishing again after a several year drought. I’m trying to figure out what to buy. I have all the tackle and electronics. I will be fishing mostly myself but also taking the grand kids and or my wife. I know I can’t load a flip over that big into my suv. Was looking at getting a 1 man flip and a pop up for when the kids come. Also need a new auger either electric or gas in that order. Any thoughts or recommendations? After the way this year has gone and approaching retirement I’ve decided it was time to get reacquainted with the peace and solitude of nature. Thanks MM
It would seem you have lots of ideas for your $1,500.  I have a thought that no one brought us. You need to accomadate the wife with a porta potty of some sort to keep her and the kids happy.    You all can laugh but if momma ain't happy...no one is. Probably leave it on the shore next to the car.  this question has plagued man since...well, I am expected to do what on the ice?  Think not! Sorry I bought that one up.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.