Author Topic: DWR - Durable Water Repellant for GoreTex  (Read 3123 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
DWR - Durable Water Repellant for GoreTex
« on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:42 AM »
Looking for some input with experience using a DWR for Gore Tex, Dry Plus, etc. I've used silicone based products in the past but wondering if technologic advances have a better, longer lasting solution.

Thanks for your consideration...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jlkachina

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DWR - Durable Water Repellant for GoreTex
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Found out last year my Shappell pop up shell was not water repellent and only water resistant. Had it out in my driveway set up during heavy rain and you could have used the sled for a bait bucket. Two inches of water in it. Called Shappell and they said to check out waterproofing brands for that 600 denier polyester. Starbrite was who I called and they recommended their water soluble product for use on any material. Have not used it yet this year but during a heavy rain this fall had a tablespoon of water in it. Available on line or at West Marine stores. Goes a long way.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply AND for giving the other "waterproofing" thread a bump. I knew I'd seen something here "sometime". I was also looking at the Starbrite product as a value solution to the higher end stuff. Greatly appreciated!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:40 AM »
So. Just purchased an Eskimo "knockoff" insulated hub. Seems like a pretty solid unit, but nothing about being water resistant or waterproof...just that it cannot handle heavy rain. Would the Star Brite help, even though the material is neither of the aforementioned to begin with? Thanks.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:51 AM »
The water proofing products I've used kept water beading, but not long enough to make it water proof. Its better than nothing at all, but not by much.

I wash my water resistant garments in Nikwax products. Have not washed my cabeals gortex rain gear that uses dwr.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-TX-Direct-Wash-in-Waterproofing/dp/B07P61CQ96

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2021, 06:45 PM »
I've used Nikwax and Revivex products and had better results with Revivex. Wash the items with their cleaner. Spray the water repellent on the wet garment, then toss it in the dryer. When I worked as a snowmaker I treated my gear twice a season with Nikwax. When I switched to Revivex I only had to treat once a year. Ice fishing is much easier on gear than snowmaking. I left that job in 2015 and have only treated my gear once since then and it still keeps me dry.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.