The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Am I the only one still (ice)fishing in PA???!!!!  (Read 1684 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Am I the only one still (ice)fishing in PA???!!!!
« on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:31 AM »
I put the word out to all my ice-fishing buddies that I was going this weekend for one last "hurrah".  I found a couple lakes with 5-6" still and one spot on the Pack that has 8"+.  I have been fishing after work, but want to do at least one more all day or 2 half days this weekend.

But everybody seems to be in SPRING mode!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Am I the only one still (ice)fishing in PA???!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:42 AM »

Bud if I lived closer I’d go

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree that if I lived closer I would be all over it. However its Eye season so at least I'm still out and about with line in the water.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I'm still at it. Duck Harbor has 12 inches of solid ice. I'm sure Belmont is probably good, too, but my truck would never make it out of there. Thought it was over at the end of February but now it looks like it might go into April.

Anybody drive by Sterling Marina lately?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Well, glad to hear I am not the only DIEHARD left in PA!  ;)

Ice Wine- can you fish DUck Harbor now? I thought it was approved trout water. Never fished it though.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:00 PM »
If I'm understanding the regs correctly, it is open to fishing all year but you can't keep any trout during the off season. And you don't need a trout stamp to fish it as long as you're not keeping any trout.

Cut and paste from the PAFC website:

STOCKED TROUT WATERS OPEN TO YEAR-ROUND FISHING

Waters with this designation are considered “stocked trout waters.” From 8 a.m. opening day of trout through Sept. 3, Commonwealth inland size and creel limits apply. From Jan. 1 through Feb. 28, and from Sept. 4 through Dec. 31, “extended season” size and creel limits apply. These waters are open to fishing from March 1 to opening day of trout season; however, no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period.

It is unlawful to fish in rivers and streams designated as stocked trout waters open to year-round fishing without a current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit).

A trout/salmon permit is not required to fish in lakes and ponds that have been designated as stocked trout waters open to year-round fishing unless the person takes, kills, or possesses, while in the act of fishing, a trout or salmon on or in these waters.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Oh, OK. That makes sense. That is nice that there are at least some trout waters that can be fished year round! Thanks!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I'd LOVE to go but don't know if I'll be able to go because of other things going on.  I have a MAJOR case of ice fishing withdrawal going on here.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2018, 06:57 PM »
If I lived in your neck of the woods & I felt safe. I would still be out. Its too far of a drive for sketchy ice  :tipup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I'd LOVE to go but don't know if I'll be able to go because of other things going on.  I have a MAJOR case of ice fishing withdrawal going on here.

Oh, blow them off Chris! You know you wanna.............. 😉
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:11 AM »
I went and put all my ice gear away and got out my soft water gear. I'm rigged right now to hit the river for cats, not even thinking of ice. And at this time of year, the ice isn't growing so I wonder how much of that "ice" is frozen slush and rotten crud. Guys, it's March 23rd. Ice is sketchy in NE PA at this time when it's a good year and this has been another bad year. Be very careful when you walk out onto ice at this time of year.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Yep, being extremely careful! You know me.................... .....always have my spud, picks and throw bag with me.

And I stopped at that spot on the Pack yesterday after work. Didn't like the looks of the ice near shore, even though I had my 8 ft aluminum plank. It looked sketchy almost 25' out, so I left and went to Ridgefield.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Oh, blow them off Chris! You know you wanna.............. 😉

If it was some other stuff I was doing for myself I would but I can't do that when it comes to my kids, you know all about how that goes.   ;)  If they don't have anything going on I'll hit you up and we can work on a plan.

Offline browndogscott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2018, 06:53 AM »
ruttnut or ice wine. Either of you fishing tomorrow? Buddy and I are trying to get out one last time. We have a small pond near us with 7-8 inches but just dinks. Might make a run for goose bay if we cant find anything here.

Offline keith hess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2018, 10:10 AM »
RuttNutt were you on any of the lakes up there from the end of February till now.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2018, 05:13 PM »
I went and put all my ice gear away and got out my soft water gear. I'm rigged right now to hit the river for cats, not even thinking of ice. And at this time of year, the ice isn't growing so I wonder how much of that "ice" is frozen slush and rotten crud. Guys, it's March 23rd. Ice is sketchy in NE PA at this time when it's a good year and this has been another bad year. Be very careful when you walk out onto ice at this time of year.

I'm with you Mike.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Sorry guys,
Haven’t been on here in a few days.
Good to meet you today Scott! Glad to see you made it to Duck Harbor. Was a great day to be on the ice!

Keith,
I was messing around on Promised Land the last 10 days at Ridgefield. If I had known Duck Harbor was in such great shape, I would have gone there sooner!

Chris- just busting your chops! 😉 I know how it goes with the kids- they run our lives- especially when younger. As it should be! 👍
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:07 PM »
You know it, my kids come first every time no question about it.  How was the ice at Promised Land and Duck Harbor and how did you make out?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Promised Land was very slow. But the fishable ice was only in one small area at Ridgefield. Open water on both ends of ice, so not sure how many fish were even under there.

Duck harbor was much better.  Was just glad to still be on safe ice!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline keith hess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:49 AM »
I wish i would have known that earlier i would have made a couple of trips up there I'm from Berks County. Icefishing in my blood love it

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:23 PM »
I wish I could've made it.   :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.