The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice took on a lot of water last night  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice took on a lot of water last night
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Be safe out there I cked some ice today very soft on top ...I did not fish did not like what I saw....BE VERY CARFUL it is time to get the boat ready for soft water....
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice took on a lot of water last night
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Great advice.  This is the time when the ice gets dangerous with the warm temps and rain and then a few days of cold temps.  Just because it gets cold again it doesn't make good strong ice like it would with steady cold temps.  I'm a love to ice fish but I'm not going to get myself hurt or killed for it and hopefully no one does.  Also if we get the snow they're calling for, one to four inches, that'll make it even more dangerous because it'll hid the bad spots.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I'm hanging up the Striker suit ,charged the two Vexilar's and the Marcum. Loosened all the drags on my 12 rods,aired out the 6 jig boxes and pretty much calling it a very safe and productive year. Panfish bite and quality was fabulous this year,released several bass of all sizes,we even got a 38" pike. Freezer got plenty of fish dinners and even enough for friends. I hope all icemen use caution and pray everyone stays safe. This last ice is when most problems happen. Stay on top.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Excellent advice . I'm pulling the kayak into the garage and getting it ready for ice out . Time to chase those fish that were hiding under the ice .

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2018, 04:27 AM »
Yup. Its over for me. I'll wash and hang the striker, put away the gear and break out the soft water gear. Would have been nice to have another month but I guess we get what we get.

I just hope that not too many guys try to push it and end up needing to get rescued.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Yea it looks like it's over for me too. Thats 2 years in a row I have a cabin reserved at Promised land & the ice fishing ended before I got to go. I guess Promised land is not in my future !  !

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:16 PM »
But spider and Chris  every ones saying the ice is fine even if wallenpaupack.   ::) ;D. Has machines and quads all over it also.    Even the other site says most of the ice in the area is in great shape ??? 

I'm with Chris.  Just because it gets cold over night don't mean it makes the ice great again.   Honeycombed ice takes a lot to fix.   

I am just curious enough and optimistic enough I haven't hung my stuff up yet.  But probably will this week. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Thursday I was out and watched 3 inches of ice disappear in the course of 8 hours at an elevation of almost 1800 ft.  The remaing ice was soft enough you could scrape down an easy inch with your boot without really trying.   

When 80% of your auger ice discharge is crumbles and not shavings your ice is not really good at all

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:43 PM »
My guess is you would be able to find safe ice tomorrow at elevation; I'm doing honey do stuff with the wife though. :P After that three night in a row when it won't freeze and likely rain, plus two days in the 60's. (Mt. Pocono) I doubt I'll be making the drive again this season, at least until spring. Be safe everyone!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:18 AM »
the thing is, if it was below freezing during the day and high teens and 20's... even low 30's at night I would still be chomping at the bit. But it ain't. It was frosty this morning but above freezing all day yesterday and it's getting into the 40's today. With the sun as high as it is and the warm rain from the south, the ice is rotting fast. I took my auger apart and put the drill back in the bag and started packing my gear in the rubber made tubs. I'm setting up the long poles for catfish along the susky. Might hit the Delaware too before the month is out. And I'm hoping to be out on the yak in March.

Offline Troutman73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Was at Sholoa on Sunday. Ice was 9”  and getting on at the far aces area was also good. 1” of snow On ice, and it did not melt during the day. Bite was pretty good , nice mess of slab bluegills, 1 decent perch, couple pickerel. My buddy had a few decent bass. All in all a good final trip ! God bless all the ice fishermen!! 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:44 PM »
This weather has me totally divested and in need of some ice fishing withdrawal therapy.  I swear I'm determined to move to Alaska.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I hit Merli Sarnowski this morning. Conditions were good with 10+” of ice with a couple inches of snow on top. Had to pick your spots to get on the good ice, but it was no problem.
Was 24 when I got there and 33 and raining when I left at 12:30
Looks like it was the last good/safe day with these warm temps the next several days.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:45 PM »
The thing that people need to remember is that ice goes away from the bottom also this time of year.  The heat does alot of damage, but the water temp is also getting warming and melting and putting air bubbles in the ice making the ice too thin and falling thru is going to happen.  Nez

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.