Author Topic: eskimo ice anchor tool questions  (Read 1721 times)

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
eskimo ice anchor tool questions
« on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:51 PM »
SO, I'm done putting ice anchors in by hand. I want to get the tool to put them in.

Problem is, my drill is on a clam plate so I don't want to take on and off to put the anchors in.

Question: my other power options are a cheapo black and decker drill,  or a M18 impact driver.

Think the picture-hanger black and decker would have any issue with putting in ice anchors?

Or, is there any consensus on how best to utilize an impact driver with the Eskimo tool?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: eskimo ice anchor tool questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:55 PM »
I use a cordless drill with a drill bit and pre-drill holes for the ice anchors.  Just takes a cheap cordless drill.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:55 PM »
I just use a little cheapo 8v impact to drill pilot holes, then thread them in by hand... works quick and easy.

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:03 PM »
I just use a little cheapo 8v impact to drill pilot holes, then thread them in by hand... works quick and easy.

Impact or hammer? Two very different things.

I have a 18v milwaukee non-fuel, brushed drill I use.  I couldn't find a driver tool locally so I ground a couple slots in an old hole saw I had laying around.  It isn't great but it works (hard to keep centered on the anchor.)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:05 PM »
It's an itty bitty 8v, self-contained battery impact. Thing cost me like 20 or 30 bucks years and years ago.

Use a 3/16" drill bit. The anchors thread into the holes like butter, but still hold tight.

*added*
This. Apparently they don't make it anymore. I've had it probably 10 years now.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:56 PM »
SO, I'm done putting ice anchors in by hand. I want to get the tool to put them in.

Problem is, my drill is on a clam plate so I don't want to take on and off to put the anchors in.

Question: my other power options are a cheapo black and decker drill,  or a M18 impact driver.

Think the picture-hanger black and decker would have any issue with putting in ice anchors?

Or, is there any consensus on how best to utilize an impact driver with the Eskimo tool?
This is the seedwrench that works really good about 10 to 12 cranks and your done. 5/16ths deep socket taped on the speed wrench with electrical tape.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:06 PM »
I switched from a cordless drill to an old bit brace that I had around - works great! 

Offline donzov

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:16 PM »
I've used the speed wrench method for years now. Works great, it's fast and it all stores in the pouch that my anchors came in.

Offline 4°Fahrenheit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:59 PM »
As long as you have a pilot hole your drill should do the job.

Watch the pawn shops for impacts.  Then get the correct size impact ready drill bit and drive away.  Just a fast swap between drivers and zero effort.

An impact will drive those anchors without a pilot hole but I know for fact it will also torq that Chinese made anchor driver in two useless parts on day.....right when I'm fighting the wind.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:02 PM »
As long as you have a pilot hole your drill should do the job.

Watch the pawn shops for impacts.  Then get the correct size impact ready drill bit and drive away.  Just a fast swap between drivers and zero effort.

An impact will drive those anchors without a pilot hole but I know for fact it will also torq that Chinese made anchor driver in two useless parts on day.....right when I'm fighting the wind.
You don't need a pilot hole with the eskimo  anchors  they go in ice by hand, the speed wrench is just faster than by using  by your hand. The operator wanted a tool to use without using  electrical device using the anchors that came with the shanty,...
. I have 3 of the eskimos and the anchors are the best for the money.  Keep your drill on th clam plate and by the speed wrench at harbor freight for 13 bucks and be done or buy a nother drill do deal with use the kiss method. Keep it simple stupid.  Don't need more chit to carry out and make it more complicated  imo.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:27 PM »
I have a cheap ($10) cordless drill from Menards and the Eskimo bit. It gets them most of the way in and then I crank by hand the last couple turns. Way easier to start the anchor and makes set up in the wind possible.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:36 AM »
I switched from a cordless drill to an old bit brace that I had around - works great! 

Why the switch?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:28 AM »
Why the switch?

Convienence and efficiency of space I guess.  On a couple of occasions early on I forgot my drill and had to screw the anchors in by hand which is doable but not the preferred method in terms of ease and speed.  Knowing I had a few of these bit braces laying in a tool chest I figured that I may as well start taking one along as a backup to the drill in case of repeating the earlier situation - and to my pleasant surprise it fit perfect inside the anchor bag that came with my Eskimo 6120i.  Anyway, decided one day to try it just to see how well it would actually work and was very surprised by the result.  Stopped bringing the drill after that.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:13 AM »
As mentioned, 3/8" speed wrench from Harbor Freight with a 5/16" deep well socket taped on.  Quick, easy and cheap. The Eskimo adapter has a thicker coating on the outside so it's a snug fit into the socket..at least mine was.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:15 AM »
Harbor freight speed wrench is the way!

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:19 AM »

X2

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2021, 02:23 PM »
I got this 20 volt Black and Decker brushed drill for like $30 on a Black Friday deal the other year.  It has done great for putting the Eskimo ice anchors in.  I don't pre-drill a hole.  I just use the Eskimo tool and this drill.  Works great so far.

https://smile.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-LDX120C-Lithium-Driver/dp/B005NNF0YU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=black+and+decker+cordless+drill&qid=1611606058&sr=8-5
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.