Author Topic: Recommended dead stick for walleye  (Read 11457 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Recommended dead stick for walleye
« on: Oct 24, 2019, 11:32 PM »
Looking to get a dead stick for walleye.   What rod type and length would someone recommend?   

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Recommended dead stick for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:50 AM »
Any of the glass tip rods.  Personally I would try to get around 36" length as I feel that it has just enough forgiveness and just enough leverage for hook setting.

Two rods that I have already for that purpose is a St. Croix Premier 36" L for the light biters and a Shakespeare Ugly Stick 36" M (Dock Runner) for your larger more aggressive bites.  Of course I have an actual dedicated dead stick rod, Thorne Bros 32" dead stick that does that job perfectly.

There are now a lot of rods available that would get the job done.

Jason Mitchell Meat Stick or Dead Meat Rod. 
St. Croix Avid Glass Ice.
Beaver Dam Custom Ice Noodle.
HT Ice blue and Ice blue Pro
Frabil Quick Tip
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2019, 07:27 AM »
28" medium, just an all around great length and weight that is versatile and not too long for the flip over.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2019, 11:27 AM »
I got a cheap 28" ML gander store brand? Rod that is has a pretty moderate action,  great for the dead stick application.  Definitely nicer options available if you use it alot. Custom or just higher end rods.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Aside from a specific rod, two other elements can make for better deadsticking.  Tip down type rod holders like the RodRocker can help a lot.  Also, lots of folks are using baitfeeder type reels.  Tip down holders with baitfeeders work great together; the rod rockers allows the rod angle to turn towards the hole, letting the baitfeeder spool off a bit more easily.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Whatever you do don’t buy a TUCR dead stick.  The thing is so heavy it didn’t work like it should have.  The fish would feel it and drop it.  That weekend the JT walleye snare out fished the TUCR 15 to 1.  We both had the same bait feeder reels on set on the lightest setting, same line, same tackle, and same bait.  I bought the TUCR because of an episode of In Depth Outdoors (IDO) I watched.  To me it is just too heavy of a rod for dead sticking.    If you are looking for a great walleye dead stick look at the JT walleye snare.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Tuma - I've seen these skewed catch rates many many times.  Usually it was my father outfishing me with a blindingly apparent horseshoe up his ass.  I think attributing something like this to the mass of the rod is suspect.  I would suggest minnow hooking method, height of set bait off bottom, micro structure, scent from angler, or even confidence before laying blame to the fiberglass. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:17 PM »
you can catch more fish on a light power tipped rod than a heaver power tipped rod when dead sticking for sure. I've seen it happen side by side. Fish feel that tension of the rod tip and drop the bait. A spring bobber on a deadstick can help quite a bit

These are a great option https://finickyfooler.com/products/finicky-fooler

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-fishing-rods-and-combos/ice-hopper-extreme-taper-rod/ 48" glass is a decent dead stick for $30

beaverdam noodle and ice blues work darn well for the $$

its a dead stick, you don't need an expensive rod

Catchin' Fish

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2019, 02:11 PM »
Winterbuddy, I always out fish him and he won’t let this one down.  It was the rod.  The TUCR has a heavy tip and the JT has a very light tip.  We both got the same amount of fish on the flasher and just as many takers.  But they would feel the heavy tip of the TUCR and drop it.  The JT has such a nice tip they took it before they felt it.  I sanded down and made some of my own dead stick rods that are lighter.  They also out fish the TUCR every time.  I am sure the TUCR dead stick would work better if I was using 6”+ suckers for bait.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Tuma- at least you don't have to be worried about getting kicked off here for saying that  :whistle: ;)2

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2019, 02:36 PM »
you can catch more fish on a light power tipped rod than a heaver power tipped rod when dead sticking for sure. I've seen it happen side by side. Fish feel that tension of the rod tip and drop the bait. A spring bobber on a deadstick can help quite a bit

These are a great option https://finickyfooler.com/products/finicky-fooler

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-fishing-rods-and-combos/ice-hopper-extreme-taper-rod/ 48" glass is a decent dead stick for $30

beaverdam noodle and ice blues work darn well for the $$

its a dead stick, you don't need an expensive rod

That's why I use schoolly spring bobbers extended past rod tip..  I tape them on with black electrial tape..   I jig with it then a slight twitch or drop I can set hook..  I even fish trout this way dead sticked..   you will see spring bobber drop and line get tight that's when you better grab the rod before it goes down the whole..

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2019, 02:53 PM »
When you said light, I wasn't thinking in regards to the tip action, more mass.  :cookoo: :laugh: :cookoo:

Yeah, I 100% see a heavier action pulling the bait out of the fishes mouth every instant sometimes.  Sounds like a bobber would have helped!

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Tuma- at least you don't have to be worried about getting kicked off here for saying that  :whistle: ;)2

LOL CrappieFisherman.  Some of TUCR are nice but all of them are over priced.  I just don’t like their dead stick.  It is nice to say that and not see it get dusted from the form and me get kicked off for it.  Heck, Matzilla was kicked off of IDO for just suggesting other rod options that were not TUCR.

The point of a dead stick is so you don't need a bobber.  :cookoo:  All in fun winterbuddy

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2019, 03:46 PM »
The point of a dead stick is so you don't need a bobber.  :cookoo:  All in fun winterbuddy

I wasn't suggesting a bobber as a substitute for Spikes in his quest for a deadstick, I was thinking it might have helped you personally from getting smoked by your friend so badly. 15:1 over two days and you didn't even try to switch it up?  Purchasing a deadstick should not be a replacement for carrying a bobber. ;D  I'm not going to let it down either..lol    >:D

Not to always praise the rod rocker type holders, but those basically can turn any rod that will balance on it into a walleye snare of sorts.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2019, 05:22 PM »
LOL CrappieFisherman.  Some of TUCR are nice but all of them are over priced.  I just don’t like their dead stick.  It is nice to say that and not see it get dusted from the form and me get kicked off for it.  Heck, Matzilla was kicked off of IDO for just suggesting other rod options that were not TUCR.

Some do use bobbers. I recently watched a video on YouTube by a guide who uses them on LSC in Michigan. The bobber is almost totally submerged and he also leaves 2 to 3 feet of slack line on the ice. He is quite successful with this technique. Good enough for me to give it a go. As for the subject,  I use the same type of rod for dead sticking as jigging...36" Schooley Arctic Blue.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Thanks for information.   I currently have the scheels tournament and it reacts like an ultra light no back bone.   Around here I get most wallleyes in 14-18” range and times it been too little.   Another question would be are “custom” rods that much better say a St Croix Mojo?   Don’t know if I would say St Croix is top quality anymore but do all these custom use quality blanks or run of the mill?   

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Another question would be are “custom” rods that much better say a St Croix Mojo?   Don’t know if I would say St Croix is top quality anymore but do all these custom use quality blanks or run of the mill?

Some of the rods I build I use “standard” blanks.  Some I take that standard blank and sand it down.  I reshape the blank until I get the action I am looking for.  Some places you go they will say we have blank A, B, C.  What colors do you want on one of those blanks?
To me you look at custom rods if you can’t find a rod that performs the way you want it to perform.  Maybe the ultimate rod you want is already being built by one of the manufactures and is sitting on the shelf.  But if you desire something completely different than what you can find or has a unique look to it you need to look at custom.  Everything can be adjusted or changed when looking at true custom rods.  If you know what you want, talk to the builders you are interested in working with. Ask them what they can do and see if it matches your needs. If not, move on to the next builder.  Having the right setup that matches what you are doing can make a night and day difference.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for information.   I currently have the scheels tournament and it reacts like an ultra light no back bone.   Around here I get most wallleyes in 14-18” range and times it been too little.   Another question would be are “custom” rods that much better say a St Croix Mojo?   Don’t know if I would say St Croix is top quality anymore but do all these custom use quality blanks or run of the mill?

I would say for the retail custom is that they're using a more of a unique blank - hence they attached the word custom to it.  For example St Croix's latest custom ice rods they have unique technique specific blanks "customized" manufactured.  IMO they are overpriced but they feel wonderful in the store.  I'm a bait casting type of guy and wish they made some of their "customized" bait casting set up.  That would be worth the $160 for me to try.  The St Croix Mojo is still a very good rod, just wish the line guides were of a better quality.

Still nothing beats a fully custom requested rod built for one's specific desire.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Still nothing beats a fully custom requested rod built for one's specific desire.

I am happy with the way my improved light and heavy dead stick design came out.  I started out reshaping a blank for a buddy and liked it so much I had to make one for myself.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:42 PM »
I use pretty well any medium weight rod for deadstick as I never fish a deadstick without a venom float. Much less resistance and better hookup rates than just a rod to lure setup.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I have fished 36" Thorne Bros deadstick for about a dozen years and really like it but the last couple of years I have been trying out the JT Walleye snare deadstick and it's great and maybe even better than the Thorne. I have tried the bobber method and it works very well but for me the deadsticks work better for how I fish
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.