The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ice fishing spots around Grand Rapids  (Read 3113 times)

Offline lmholmes11

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing spots around Grand Rapids
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Hey all, first off I am new to the forum and I just wanted to say hi!

Does anyone know of any good and safe ice fishing lakes around the Grand Rapids area? With ice strong enough to hold a perm. shanty?

Speaking of that, I am starting to build me a new permanent shanty and cant decide what to make the sides out of. Up in Gaylord where i'm from you can get away with heavy shanties. However down here in GR might be a different story. Any suggestions on light weight sides and roof?

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing spots around Grand Rapids
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I had a 3/8 luan that I epoxied with a sheet of 3/4" Pink board leaving 1.5" all around the panels for the 2x2 frame. It had a 2x4 floor with 3/4" marine Plywood. mounted skis on the runners then blocked it up. pushed easily unless really deep snow.....mine was 8' Long x 6' wide x 7' tall. I sold it a few years back, but it was very warm and usually didnt need much of a heater....I also used 1/4" lexan for some small windows on each side. Just cut the holes out of the sides and epoxied the windows in before I added the pink board to it. My Door was a 2 Piece design like a dutch door, and I mounted a small CFM vent fan in the ceiling that ran off a 12v battery....amongst other things.....I dont have any pictures.....I am in GR area as well and there are quite a few of us on the board....not a lot of perm shanties though as we move a lot.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2009, 04:21 PM »
I dont even know why I bought a shanty last year!

I'm the guy out there thats you see drilling a million holes no joke!

If im not catchin fish I dont stick around.

Cant beat the 4 inch nils master auger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is however a few perm shantys on some of the lakes I fish (I'm from GR by the way) Most I see are just made out of plywood but there was and interesting one I saw last winter that was aluminum, not sure what was on the inside...
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Im from GR also, and WHEN I do ice fish im always on the move until I find fish......  But i always use a shanty, just pull it around from hole to hole with me.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Vex...no way I could use a shanty that much.

Seriously on average last year I drilled probably 20 holes per trip no joke.

I used my buddys 1 man flip style last year and loved it! I might have to pick one up...Really easy to transport and when I'm fishing this certain lake where the clippers docked I can hide it from everyone that I'm SLAYING the perch LOL.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009, 09:21 PM »
mine pulls around real easy......  We drill bunches of holes too, specially chasing perch around..........  Im gonna get an insert for my cordless 18 volt dewalt to run an auger.  Talked to a guys on muskegon lake last year that had one, he can drill about 18-22 8" holes on a charge, depending on ice thickness.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:40 PM »
mine pulls around real easy......  We drill bunches of holes too, specially chasing perch around..........  Im gonna get an insert for my cordless 18 volt dewalt to run an auger.  Talked to a guys on muskegon lake last year that had one, he can drill about 18-22 8" holes on a charge, depending on ice thickness.
So that was on  one of your 6 trips on the ice lasts year. If ya don't have a dewalt don't even try the drill adapter.  Mine auger would dig in to do the work and then the shaft would spin in the chuck. I ground flat spots on it and then the drill just came to a sudden stop, and loosened the chuck. Good thing is I never lost the auger because it was an early model that didn't have the rod on it to save it when the chuck loosens up.

Offline lmholmes11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to give Reeds lake a try. We'll see how it goes!

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I never even busted out the shanties last year. They are far to slow. There were a few days on Muskgon is wish I had. I fish bluegill 90 percent of the time and shanties and bluegill do not mix. I am going to start fishing for perch again this year. I have taken about 4 years off and I'm pritty sure I have taken all the bull gills from the area.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2009, 08:52 PM »
Not even close slabs................

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:45 PM »
I guess that means we are going fishing this year. You must be getting fish over 9in I put them back.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I know a few older guys that catch the CRAP out of the gills around home here have been all summer, same areas that you fish.  My grandpa has been taking a limit of gills everyday all over 9 inches.  Catches a limit in like an hour they're so hott.  Those lakes are FAR from cleaned out!

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Vex are you taking me serious?

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2009, 11:43 PM »
In reality Holmes theres no where to fish in Grand Rapids you mine as well move to Canada Aaa?  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2009, 08:34 PM »
lol are you taking me serious??  THAT is the question

Offline SquirrelHunterJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2009, 01:29 PM »
i got one of thoes at the end of the year last year and i cant wait to try it this year
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like heck and make up lies......

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2009, 08:34 AM »
 Vex, You are serious about those guys and your grandpa catching bluegill CRAP? I have spent alot of time on the ice and never caught bluegill crap. Those guys must be real good to be getting limits of the stuff.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2009, 05:39 PM »
nobody likes a smart... slabs!! ;D   lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.