Author Topic: Milwaukee drill chuck movement  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Milwaukee drill chuck movement
« on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Picked up a 2704 drill over the weekend just tested it last night, chucked up a bit it drilled fine, but the whole chuck would slide back and forth probably 3/16th inch, wondering if thats normal or how much the drill chuck should move back and forth?

Offline HardWaterHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Milwaukee drill chuck movement
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Picked up a 2704 drill over the weekend just tested it last night, chucked up a bit it drilled fine, but the whole chuck would slide back and forth probably 3/16th inch, wondering if thats normal or how much the drill chuck should move back and forth?
Try a little 3 n 1 oil ,should solve the slide issue.
Fish all you can.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Hammer drills are like that..

In hammer mode the chuck will move in and out..

<°)))>{

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:22 PM »
I have the warrenty so I'm not super concerned but Ithe just seemed alittle excessive and loose for just regular drilling. I have 2 other milwaukee hammer drills a v18 and corded and neither moves near this much, but if it breaks it's covered I guess.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Make sure chuck is tight, should be a sockethead screw at bottom. i think it tightens counter clockwise

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Make sure chuck is tight, should be a sockethead screw at bottom. i think it tightens counter clockwise

x2.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:31 PM »
return it. get a better one.

Offline IceFishingNate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Otter XT650 Cabin. Vexilar FL-18. Jiffy
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:26 PM »
I have the same drill,got it 3 weeks ago.  Mine does the same thing.  What auger putting on urs?kdrill? Nils?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Also it might have to do with the position of the cam or whatever causes the "hammer" movement..

If you put it into hammer mode and try to stop it in a different position it may be less sloppy...

<°)))>{

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2016, 01:30 AM »
Got a small job helping a friend, we're gonna
drill probably about 100" of old concrete in the morning in a variety of sizes. That will definitely let me know if the chuck is loose and needs returned or that much movement is normal.

Got a 6" Nils after last year watching an old timer hand drill 4 holes in the time it took me to do one with my Mora. Just fabbed a drill mount and disk so it can't sink and I can quickly remove them and use it by hand if needed, incase a battery dies or I forget the drill at home is worth it alone, only complaint is I wish I could afford to buy a spare head for it. Lol

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:08 PM »
I am not a pro contractor, nor am I a weekend warrior, I do alot of handyman remodeling and work as a part time maintenance man and spend alot of time running tools. This drill impressed me.
First off I way under estimated how much much work and drilling we would do, we went through 3.5 of the 5.0 batteries, drilling 60yr old concrete and mortor. Drill purrs like a kitten with 1/4" bits and 7/8" ones as well.  No problems with the chuck, it was solid stayed tight and didnt loosen. I did notice a few things that I picked up on now that I've gotten to handle it. First the belt clip and tip holders are way to bulky and the holder has way to sharp of corners, should have been molded in somewhere, not a huge clunky after though. Second the metal drill body gets HOT when you run it continually, gloves were necessary, but I never hit any of their overheat protection. I personally wasn't a fan of where the screw is placed that connects the two halves of the case together, I usually rest my finger there when it isn't getting burnt, and it was digging into my finger when i was at an odd angle drilling. The trigger has alot of up and down play, and can pinch gloves between it and the bottom of the LED, but the body it's self seems very sturdy. The back of the drill is not comfortable to lean on when trying to force bigger holes. On the flip side, this thing has POWER! It never slowed down and never got held up, battery life is ridiculously long on the 5.0 batteries I was honestly so tired and sore I kept wishing they would die. Lol. The handle for being removable and not actually threading into the body is very sturdy. My few small  complaints probably wouldn't be so bad if your not hammer drilling and running it constantly. For ice fishing this thing will have no problem spinning my 6" Nils and keeping me fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.