Author Topic: jack traps  (Read 19902 times)

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "DROP THAT FISH" - B. Meredith - Grumpy Old Men 93
Re: jack traps
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:41 AM »
My suggestion is to give him one more try to seek satisfaction.   Maybe he had a bad day or something.  If he hangs up on you again, then you know he got issues and obviously doesn't want your business.   You can email him from his site as well.  Maybe that would help.
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:48 AM »
My suggestion is to give him one more try to seek satisfaction.   Maybe he had a bad day or something.  If he hangs up on you again, then you know he got issues and obviously doesn't want your business.   You can email him from his site as well.  Maybe that would help.

He doesn't respond to emails, that is why I called him. I think I will take the advice of one poster here, order up some Allagash traps and get some extra stainless flag steels from them , mount them on the jacks and consider it a lesson learned. Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I found a lady in PA on this site.  She has 4 Arctic Bay Jack traps for sale . With delievery $112.  I think they have the best reels of them all and they are 42".  my friend has 5 and no rust.  if ur interested
http://www.peterson-outdoors.com/Artic%20Bay%20Polar%20Tip-up.htm
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:54 AM »
As a matter of fact, here's a picture of them.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=82754.60

Go to SUBCATCHER's post and see pics. (towards bottom)

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:14 PM »
both my self my father and several of my fellow fishing partners own jack traps and are very pleased with them I have noticed a little rust on the flags however what little is  their is to be expected in some of the conditons I fish in however I really like these traps and would recomend them to anyone I and several of my fishing buddies have personally had conversations with him and I never thought him to be a guy to hang up on someone this suprises me ??? ??? ??? ?
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Went up to the Jacktrap store with Gearjammer & Trout Terrorist today. I was after some line, Trout Terrorist was after a few parts & Gearjammer inquired about some different colors flags for his Jack Traps. The guy who waited on us, which I believe was the owner, lacked any customer service skills. Basically this attitude was this is what I have take it or leave it, great way to loose your business.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Went up to the Jacktrap store with Gearjammer & Trout Terrorist today. I was after some line, Trout Terrorist was after a few parts & Gearjammer inquired about some different colors flags for his Jack Traps. The guy who waited on us, which I believe was the owner, lacked any customer service skills. Basically this attitude was this is what I have take it or leave it, great way to loose your business.

Here are the photos of the jack trap flag steel. These tipups are ONE YEAR OLD! and they have been oiled. The lower two photos show my 40 year old Tuckers alongside the jacktraps, they have never needed oil. I'll leave you to judge for yourself whether this is acceptable performance for a 40 dollar tipup.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Unacceptable.

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:57 PM »
  Thats disgusting, no wonder your up in arms.  I agree that is unacceptable.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Dear Mungo 544,
    I would take Grumpy Old Man's suggestion call or find Jack Traps mailing address send a return receipt certified letter. Mention that you are a member of Ice Shanty.com an Ice fishing website with over twenty one thousand registered members and thousands more guest users ,that have seen your posted comments about this problem and their response. I work in retail (supermarket custodian) in my experience if a customer complains long and loud enough some type of action will be taken. Usually to satisfy the customer, I believe Jack Traps/Tim Jackson are sponsors of this website.
    If he blows you off again or says you can by replacement flags ,post that info here and send a personal message to site administrator Scott. Ask Scott is this the type of sponsor/company he would deal with maybe he should tell Jack Traps their sponsorship is no longer wanted if this is how they treat customers. Just my two cents as they say.

Steve

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Dear Mungo 544,
    I would take Grumpy Old Man's suggestion call or find Jack Traps mailing address send a return receipt certified letter. Mention that you are a member of Ice Shanty.com an Ice fishing website with over twenty one thousand registered members and thousands more guest users ,that have seen your posted comments about this problem and their response. I work in retail (supermarket custodian) in my experience if a customer complains long and loud enough some type of action will be taken. Usually to satisfy the customer, I believe Jack Traps/Tim Jackson are sponsors of this website.
    If he blows you off again or says you can by replacement flags ,post that info here and send a personal message to site administrator Scott. Ask Scott is this the type of sponsor/company he would deal with maybe he should tell Jack Traps their sponsorship is no longer wanted if this is how they treat customers. Just my two cents as they say.

Steve

Thanks for the advice, that is a very good idea.
I did email mail him these pictures to show him what I was talking about, so far he hasn't responded. I really thought the pictures would convince him something was wrong. Actually I have emailed him several times he has never responded.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:06 AM »
I think its time to give us the email address. Maybe we can get his attention.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Grumpyold man and anyone else the website for JackTraps is as follows you should find an email address,phone number and regular mailing address.

www.jacktraps.com Just checked the hyperlink it works click on contact us on Jacktraps website to get all of the fore mentioned information.

Steve

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2009, 03:13 PM »
The Jack Trap flag steel problem.
At the end of the year of ice fishing.
I remove the steel and give it a 1-2-3 with a fine grit sand paper.

Then give it a good rub with some kind of wax.
Problems gone.
You got to take care of your goods.
You just cant throw these things in a bag and think their not going to rust :o

I own 2 sets 31-standard-with-4-reel---set-of-5
31-cross-with-4-reel-east-grander---set-of-5

And a friend has 2 set also.........Cadalic of traps

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:19 PM »
The Jack Trap flag steel problem.
At the end of the year of ice fishing.
I remove the steel and give it a 1-2-3 with a fine grit sand paper.

Then give it a good rub with some kind of wax.
Problems gone.
You got to take care of your goods.
You just cant throw these things in a bag and think their not going to rust :o

I own 2 sets 31-standard-with-4-reel---set-of-5
31-cross-with-4-reel-east-grander---set-of-5

And a friend has 2 set also.........Cadalic of traps

You saw the photos of the tucker tip ups? No rust anywhere, never been oiled and they are 40 years old. The jacks in the photo were used one season and wd40 was used on them. Why a manufacturer would use aluminum spools,  stainless steel screws and STAPLES, half a pound of poly on the wood, then blued, rust prone spring steel on the same piece of equipment is beyond me. By the way if you sand the bluing you are completely removing any protection the steel ever had and are creating a bigger maintenance problem, not to mention the wax and rust residue all over your hands gloves and other equipment. Removing, sanding and waxing ten pieces of junk steel every year on 40 dollar tip ups? No thanks. As far as the Cadillac of traps- have you checked your GM stock lately?

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Cadillacs are made of low-grade steel too  ;D

It's amazimng to see the various reactions to this situation.  Most agree that such blemishes on such pricey gear is simply unacceptable, but some are more than willing to go to war in support of Jack Traps...

I think the real kicker is that a company has the guts to charge that much money, and then the nerve to turn their back on their own product and the consumers who keep it in business.

Seems to me that my ten dollar tip-ups have worked sweet for years and don't have a speck of rust on them!

Seems hard to justify standing up for a company like this one- unless you work for them or have family in the management.  20,000 ice fisherman on this site- and someone at Jack Traps should wake up and realize that satisfying the customer and fixing the issue is in their best interest. 
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Just checking to see if Mungo had any response from Jack Traps . I agree with Neversink Jimmy especially in today's economy customer service is more important then ever . I'm assuming Jack Traps makes their tip-ups from parts supplied/bought from other manufacturers ,is it not unreasonable to believe they received a batch of spring steel with inferior bluing. It would be worth the expense in my opinion to at least send Mungo a set of replacement flags and sheet with tip-up care instructions.

Steve

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:49 PM »
Just checking to see if Mungo had any response from Jack Traps . I agree with Neversink Jimmy especially in today's economy customer service is more important then ever . I'm assuming Jack Traps makes their tip-ups from parts supplied/bought from other manufacturers ,is it not unreasonable to believe they received a batch of spring steel with inferior bluing. It would be worth the expense in my opinion to at least send Mungo a set of replacement flags and sheet with tip-up care instructions.

Steve

No, never got any response from Mr. Jackson. We treat the steel occasionally with a product from Loctite called "Extend", which  locks up surface rust. No sense in trying to keep them rust free, it is impossible, the steel is crap.
We removed the flags from the steel because the rust stains were bleeding through the blue flag material, had to replace the flags. The rust scale under the flags was ridiculous. Just as a reminder this is only the second season these tipups have been in use. We will just replace the steel next year with some better quality stuff.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Mungo,
    Sorry to hear you are still being ignored I guess Mr.Jackson feels he can live off his products reputation. To bad he does not seem to realize you can ruin your reputation faster then you can build it up .
     I was thinking of buying one Jack Trap to try out based on the high regards many members of this site hold them in but if this is how they treat customers my dollars are going elsewhere sorry Mr.Jackson.

Steve

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Add another prospective buyer lost! I'll stick with Heritage...

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:38 PM »
A dude here on Shanty (from MA) has some tip-ups for sale that he builds himself... 

Oak/Maple and they look SWEET!  At $25 a piece, that might be worth looking into.

I checked 'em out last night online and they sure look like nice traps.  Just like JT's, but at least you know the cash is going to someone who is really working for it.  And they look amazing, to boot!

Just a thought.  It's always nice to see a good guy win now and then  :)
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline bruce21m

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ITS MILLER TIME
« Reply #51 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I myself have 9 of his traps. I have never had a problem with them. Did you ever think that the DW40 was a bad thing to spray on them. I never saw anything to say to do that. They give you a sheet on the traps when you get them on how they work and so on. You should always take them out after your done fishing to dry. I have never seen rust on there traps like that. The blue they use is like what is on a  rifle. Go out  in the rain and dont let it dry and you will get rust. Wipe them down when your done and you will be fine. I know it sounds like work and you spent 30 plus on them but you have to take care of them. Dont put them away wet and when your done at the end of year wipe them off. If he did hang up on you i can see why you are mad. There must have been more to the store as well. Were you upset and going off? It doesnt give him the right but you have to be nice as well if you want to get away with any one. I have ment him 3 or 4 times and he has been great ever time i have talked to him. He greesed up my old big bobs for nothing and gave me a deal on a new set. So hope you find away through this and ever thing works out for you. I also check around to lock dealers and they said you should have not used DW40 on them. Gun oil is what should be used. The DW40 eat away at some metals. I know it work on most everthing but you wouldnt spray it on your 700.00 gun would ya. Hope not. good luck
GO TEAM MAINE

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:28 PM »
I myself have 9 of his traps. I have never had a problem with them. Did you ever think that the DW40 was a bad thing to spray on them. I never saw anything to say to do that. They give you a sheet on the traps when you get them on how they work and so on. You should always take them out after your done fishing to dry. I have never seen rust on there traps like that. The blue they use is like what is on a  rifle. Go out  in the rain and dont let it dry and you will get rust. Wipe them down when your done and you will be fine. I know it sounds like work and you spent 30 plus on them but you have to take care of them. Dont put them away wet and when your done at the end of year wipe them off. If he did hang up on you i can see why you are mad. There must have been more to the store as well. Were you upset and going off? It doesnt give him the right but you have to be nice as well if you want to get away with any one. I have ment him 3 or 4 times and he has been great ever time i have talked to him. He greesed up my old big bobs for nothing and gave me a deal on a new set. So hope you find away through this and ever thing works out for you. I also check around to lock dealers and they said you should have not used DW40 on them. Gun oil is what should be used. The DW40 eat away at some metals. I know it work on most everthing but you wouldnt spray it on your 700.00 gun would ya. Hope not. good luck
GO TEAM MAINE

Saw some Jack traps in Cabelas the other day and it confirmed for me that I was given inferior steel. The blueing on those Jacks was head and shoulders better than mine. You saw the photos I posted, the steel started rusting after the first time I used them. I emailed Mr. Jackson twice at that time and he never responded, not even to give me any maintenance advice. Did you see the photos I posted of the old Tucker tipups, over 40 years old, never been oiled. WD40 is a logical choice, I never heard of wd40 attacking metal, not spring steel anyway. Don't own any guns, but if I did I would follow maintenance instructions, which didn't come with the Jacks. Common sense told me that if the guy used stainless steel STAPLES, that I wouldn't have to treat these things with kid gloves. Remember they started rusting immediately, not after I applied the wd40. Rust was bleeding through the felt flags, how in the world can you prevent that , should I blow dry the flags too? You are fortunate that you got a good set of traps.  After the season is over I will go down to the local metal shop and spend 5 bucks or so on some galvanized or stainless spring steel or maybe send away for some steel from Alagash traps, their flag steel is stainless.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I bought heritage lakers this season at 21 bucks a piece.  I could not be happier with them.  In addition a guy I work with cleaned out a garage that belonged to his brother a few weeks ago and found some old tip ups....at least 10 years old he told me.  Asked me if I wanted them...hey....free stuff is good stuff right!  He brought them in to me a few days ago and guess what.....heritage lakers!  The only thing they need is a sanding to remove quite a bit of mildew on the wood but ALL of the metal parts are spotless and the mechanisms work perfectly!  They were stored for many years in a place damp enought to cause mildew on the wood but all metal parts are damage free!  I'm glad I purchased my lakers and will stand by them!  Keep the Jacks!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Spotted Trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Where can you buy stainless steel flag rods?
Great idea... please share :)

Offline Fishin Nut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • God Bles America
« Reply #55 on: Feb 01, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I was about to so jump into this with an attitude but I'll hold back. My only comments are this.
I own Jack Traps, Heritages, Polars, I also bought a home-made trap from a local member(very nice btw), and I too built my own using JT's very own hardware and I must say this stuff is the best of the best.
I DO NOT know anyone that would go out, buy a new truck and never take care it, all I can sat is DUDE, you dropped some serious money on some very high end gear and your not going to maintain it? Then dont blame Tim, look in the mirror and blame him.
Never Forget 9/11/01

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 11, 2009, 06:26 AM »
Just got my son 31" Standard with 4" Reels, a set of 5 that he'll be using for pike this Saturday. Been icefishing for close to 40 years. Had the Polars, had the Laker traps, and some others that will go nameless.......Thanks Tim!!! One satisfied customer here ladys and gents!!!

Question, any of you guys fishing brackish water with your traps? Maybe theres something in the water your fishing? I dont know! And as far as spraying the traps with of all things D40 ::) Hope you separate the spring steel from the trap when applying? Like I said you got to take care of the goods.   
                                            Cadillacman

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I hold fast. The man got ripped off. UNLESS he's fishing in funky water.

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:13 PM »
How funky can water be to make steel rust? Steel will rust if it's not stainless, or painted, or constantly oiled.

I've been amazed at how they are charging so much for just a tipup.

I bought a tipup that looks JUST LIKE the jack traps that has 3 cross sticks for $3.49 and the only difference is that the spool is plastic.

The flag stick doesn't rust at all and I have no complaints about the tipup.

I guess everything that is made in America is going to be overpriced like crazy. Look at SureFire flashlights that are still entirely made in america. Their cheapest possible flashlight costs an amazing $36.00!!! But at least I know that you're getting good quality with them. I guess with Jack Traps, you're paying JUST for the name and origin, and no longer even for the quality.
Get the flag!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:00 PM »

And as far as spraying the traps with of all things D40 ::) Hope you separate the spring steel from the trap when applying? Like I said you got to take care of the goods.   
                                            Cadillacman
I don't spray it, just wipe down the steel with a rag. Anybody that thinks wd40 can damage bluing, aluminum or polyurethane coatings is wrong. Check out this information about wd 40 and gun maintenance.

http://wd40uses.notlong.com/

If it is ok for guns, why not a tip up, which is SUPPOSED to get wet.

Don't know if you read thru the whole thread but here is a photo.

Top tip up is a one year old jacktrap. Bottom tip up is a 40 year old Tucker that has NEVER been oiled. Don't tell me Tim Jackson can't get better steel for his tip ups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.