Author Topic: Best tip up  (Read 18239 times)

Offline ice hound

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Thats one for the dinner table.
Best tip up
« on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:58 PM »
What is the best tip up on the market? I have a mixed set of almost every type imaginable and am wondering what is the best so I can upgrade.
If the ice never melted I'd never leave.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best tip up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:16 PM »
jack traps, you can never go wrong with um

Offline RUGERGUNZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:03 AM »
I predict you will get a mix of answers from Jack Traps to Heritage Lakers.

Both are excellent.  I have only used Heritage personally, but have heard enough good things about Jack Traps to like them as well.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:42 AM »
Haven't had the opportunity to use them yet, but the craftmanship of my new Jack Traps is really impressive.  I have the 26" standards in oak, and the finish is almost furniture quality.  They are overbuilt (like Rugers) to last a lifetime. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:57 AM »
living in an area where two rods are the max, I dont get to use tip-ups a lot...when I do Im a pike fisherman and have been using Frabil Classics, they work perfect and are very sturdy...i bought the alarms last year as well so I can hear them when hiding in my clam

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:33 PM »
jack traps
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I have 3 diferent makes. I have The south bend beaver dam style, Heritage lakers and the Frabill thermals.  The beaver dam style I use for Pike, Heritage I use for Laker Trout and the Frabill for when its freakin cold out, I like them all and sometimes bring one of each with me. Frabills are light and easy to pack in a 5 gallon bucket. Heritage Lakers are great for holding a ton of line and setting a drag when using big bait plus they can be seen a mile away. Beaver dams are the easiest tip up to set. The best thing about all 3 styles in my opinion is the wind doesn't trip them and none of that nonsense of a fish biting and the flag not triping.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:51 PM »
 I have a set of lakers that i use for lakers just for the fact that you can see them a  mile away then i have some wooden ones from herbs that i use for walleye and  perch then a set of the green wooden ones Same as the other just green for pike

Offline Cgris19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Polars

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:37 PM »
broke down and bought a set of jack traps last year and to me they a A one almost want to buy a set of 31" jacks. Thats how much i believe in them. Awesome Quality

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:14 PM »
Beaver Dam by Arctic Fisherman. http://www.beaverdamtipup.com/benefits.cfm

I looked at the Jack Trap and Lakers, but I don't like the free spooling look of them. I like to see the spin trigger as I am approaching so I know if the fish is moving or not before I get there.

In my opinion Beaver Dam's are the sturdiest, most reliable on the market. They take a beating and need very little if any maintenance. Regardless of the weather they have never failed me. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I use beaver dams also, my wife bought me an illuminator (glow in the dark) style for xmas I can't wait to try it out walleye fishing.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:35 PM »
I use beaver dams also, my wife bought me an illuminator (glow in the dark) style for xmas I can't wait to try it out walleye fishing.

you are going to love it. please don't do what I did - make sure you expose it to the sun for a good long time before your night set otherwise it is just another tip up. I bought one just before a trip last year and put it in my tip up bag and went to set it 30min before dark and realized I forgot to "charge" it. needless to say my buddies didn't let me live that one down.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Polar Extreme Big Game tip ups.  You can fit 5 in a 6 gal. bucket (and put the lid on the bucket), they cover the hole, and have tackle storage right on them.  You can't say that about heritage lakers or Jack traps.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Stop being so practical Gambell  ;) 

The Lakers and Jack traps are hand made with wood from northeastern forests and are much prettier than those Chinese, plastic, popped out of the mold, crap..... ;D

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:47 AM »
 ;D They are good looking traps, aren't they?  A fish would have to be crazy to not want to get caught on something so good looking.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:25 PM »
I like everything about the Beaver Dams except of their line capacity.  150 feet is not enough for me.  The spool is a baby. 

Heritage Lakers are the truth. 

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Beaver Dam is the best by far.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:04 PM »
I looked at Beaver Dams before I bought my Jack Traps because I too like to see the spool spinning without disturbing the trap, but I felt that the Beaver Dam's design is flawed when they have to be sent back to the manufacturer just to be re-lubed (I have seen several threads on how break the solder joint on the spool & shaft, lube, and re-solder yourself...but there is something wrong when it is easier to change the oil in my truck than it is to re-lube a set of tipups.  :-\) Just my $.02.

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:25 PM »
Jack traps are my favorite. 

They are overbuilt as mentioned.  The thick polyurethane coating keeps the ice from sticking much, the flag can be set to different heights which also alters how much pull is needed to trip the flag.  You can lubricate them with built in place to add white lithium grease. 

I fished with heritage lakers for years.  I had polars but need more line capacity for salmon and lakers as I tend to cover some area when fishing and there is nothing worse than seeing the trap dancing around as the reel is spooled.  I thought jacks were overkill and too expensive, but once I got them I will never go back.

I have 11 standards and 5 big bobs. 

You can catch a fish with anything including a board with line wrapped around it.  You don't need to have the top of the line but if you want the best my vote would be jack traps.  It does look like a fine piece of furniture, not that looks matter but I find them to work great.

John

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:26 AM »
I'm like you ice hound. I have many different types, an heck they all work for me. I have a bunch of polars, so I guess they must be my favorite
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2007, 02:23 PM »
 don't wanna sound cheap but they are a little outta my ice fishig budget

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2007, 02:29 PM »
JACK TRAPS ARE THE BEST  :tipup:
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:53 PM »
don't wanna sound cheap but they are a little outta my ice fishig budget

I hear ya.  I buy one or two every year or two.  Eventually I'll have my five, and some for the kids.  There worth every penny!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Anybody tried the Nor'Easter tip-up???  They're a heavy duty tip-up made in New York State.

http://www.fish307.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6246

Offline fishmaster2004z

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2007, 04:26 PM »
i have 15 nor'easter tip-ups i like to use them when we get a lot of snow
because they stand so high you have no trouble seeing them and you don't
get wind tips but i like smaller tip-ups when i go out for smaller fish

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:25 PM »
I like the Lakers although now I use Continentals.  All plastic and super easy to use.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Looking through the number of threads that deal with this issue I have come to the conclusion that the tip ups we use are regional. Based on what I am sure everyone grew up with so we are use to that style and we have never really changed. Granted there are some folks who are using the other style, but the majority of respondits are pretty loyal to their regional "brand".

The folks in the east tend use the stand up style (Lakers, Jack Traps etc..) and the folks in the midwest and northern regions tend to use the board style (Beaver Dams, Frabill, Polar etc...)

I'm glad to see so many people so passionate about their tip ups (defending them to the death) I personally like to tip up fish more than jig for game fish - probably because I have had much more success this way. I must say though - that ever since I have been visiting this site and reading all the accounts of jigging for Walleye and Pike I have tried it much more frequently. I do enjoy it, but to me there is nothing so wonderful as seeing that flag pop.

Good luck to all!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:56 PM »
I like Beaver Dam and the Polars

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:10 AM »
I looked at Jack Traps but I prefer the cross stick design of the Heritage Lakers so I went with the Lakers. I have absolutely no complaints and aside from my Homemade TipUps, the Lakers are the best I have ever used. Trust me when I say that I put those Lakers to the test in some really rough conditions and on some really big fish. Where I fish there is no attendance law and a hooked fish may be hooked for hours before I get back to that tipup. The tipup absolutely has to be able to withstand having a 20 plus pound Northern or Laker on it without splintering and getting sucked down the hole. The Lakers have taken all the punishment I and the fish have dished out on them and then some. Lakers get my vote.

IceTroll
     :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.