Author Topic: How do you approach your tip ups  (Read 17791 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How do you approach your tip ups
« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:51 AM »
run untill i can see if the spindle is going. then it depnds on the species and bait size and how much has been taken (estimate).
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:29 PM »
slow jog until I can see if it is running - if so I get to flag as fast as possible and set the hook. If not, I take my time and get set to check for tension.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #62 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:35 AM »
My technique for pike is that I let them run when they first hit,  then they always stop after a few yards and completely swallow the bait and then start moving again and this is when I let them have it.  This has always worked well for me and is the same way all of my fishing buddies learned also.

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:49 PM »
at the begining of the day i run like hell if its a good day by the end i tell my daughter to run and im walking (slowly) lol

Offline fishmaster2004z

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:54 PM »
most of the time i jog and wait until they run again to set the hook
or send my son and he just runs and pulls :tipup:

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:02 PM »
I jump up, dive outta my hut almost knocking half my gear into the holes, run like a fool (well, it's kind of a half slide half run) dragging one of my jigging poles along because it's caught on my pantleg, fall on my knees in the slush by the tipup, grab it and yank the line so if there is a fish on I pull the bait right out of it's mouth, curse a couple of times, set it up again and then there is a certain gesture I use when my brother won't stop laughing at me(he is #1), go back and pick up all the gear I knocked all over the place and wait for the next FLAAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!!
    This generally happens every single time. I can't help it.

Offline Trigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:03 PM »
First of all i hear the bell a ringing. Or think I do and visually look to see if the flag is up. If its up i jump out of the seat usually spilling my beer's, tipping over my minnows., and kicking my Aqua view over. Then i throw my rod i have in my hand in the snow or ice depending how hot i got it going in the tent. If its ice i usually slip on my a$$. Then i get up if i have fallen and start the 100 meter dash till i get about 20 feet from the flag then slowly creep up to the hole like a damn ninja while i watch the spool spin. After fish has been caught i go to rebate the hook but remember that i spilt them in the slippery tent. Walk back to get them and notice the rod i put in the snow or ice has been pulled down the hole by a fish  >:( :'(
______________________ ____________________________________ ___________

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:30 PM »
I like the fact the beer is plural

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #68 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:50 PM »
I like the fact the beer is plural

Ya can't just drink one??????
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:32 PM »
Used to be a runner but after many, many crash and burns and being a little older takes a little longer getting up afterwards.Nevermind finding something on you hurts the next day that never hurt before in your life.LOL...Worse spill I took when I was on a dead run and my buddied yellow lab cut me right at the knees like a defensive back making a tackle on a big running back.I went a$$ over tea kettle.

I walk now..I've got all day to get over to the flag and the fish has all day to decide whether or not to eat it.But if I get near the hole and HEAR the spool running like crazy I might just trot over.. ::)

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I throw a flash bang into the shanty to confuse my buddies, crack open an ice cold guiness and gingerly walk over to the tip up before my friends come around!  ;D  No seriously as soon as I notice the flag I walk over and give the spool a check.  If it is running I give it a few seconds and set the hook.  If it is on of my pike set ups / tip-ups  I let them make the ole 2nd run and then set the hook.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:24 PM »
definitely walk unless I think the line is going to run out.
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline flagup#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:31 PM »
My favorite way to approach a flag is to be with a couple of newbies so I can sit back in my chair and watch them go and attend to the tip up.  Then they have to come back after catching the fish to get pliers to pull the hook out of the toothy critters mouth.  Usually after that they need to walk back and get a new minnow to put back on the line.  It is very enjoyable to see how long it takes for them to gather everything before attending to the flag.  Yes it is fun to me because I learned the hard way!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:02 AM »
I just walk up to them...   I use Frabill Pro-thermals, so u can see the spool moving whereve u r. 

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 18, 2008, 02:01 AM »
I use rubber bands on the top of my tip-up's
They act like a drag system to not allow the fish to empty the spool.  This shows me how aggressive the fish really is when I approach the tip-up.  If the rubber band is wound tight I immediately bring the fish in, if it's going back and forth I feed line to the fish.  It seems to work great
Good post

(Image removed from quote.)

I like that idea. It's going in the vault.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #75 on: Jan 18, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Here is a pic of the setup

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:25 PM »
iget up swim out to the tipup
 i have mounted
to styrofoam  block with a *inch hole in it so it floats
cause we dont have any ice
look underwater to see of theres a fish on the hook
if there is i swim after it and choke it til it gives up
take the hook out
if its a good eatin one i put it between my teeth so i can reset the tipup
and then swim back to shore and start a fire so i can warn up and dry off then cook it or lunch
 ::) ::) ::) :flex: :flex: :flex:

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #77 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:29 PM »
I think its illegal not to yell and RUN!  ;D

Thats so true  :D

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 19, 2008, 02:27 AM »
Well it depends on if I see the flag before one of my 3 hoodlums do, if I see it first I slowly walk over and pick it up if the kids see it the yelling starts then as I read in the earlier pages "tackle flag" then comes into play!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:55 AM »
My favorite way to approach a flag is to be with a couple of newbies so I can sit back in my chair and watch them go and attend to the tip up.  Then they have to come back after catching the fish to get pliers to pull the hook out of the toothy critters mouth.  Usually after that they need to walk back and get a new minnow to put back on the line.  It is very enjoyable to see how long it takes for them to gather everything before attending to the flag.  Yes it is fun to me because I learned the hard way!

So true....and funny
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Well it depends on if I see the flag before one of my 3 hoodlums do, if I see it first I slowly walk over and pick it up if the kids see it the yelling starts then as I read in the earlier pages "tackle flag" then comes into play!

LOL!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.