Author Topic: How do you approach your tip ups  (Read 17792 times)

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
How do you approach your tip ups
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:49 PM »
I was wandering how people approach their tip ups when you get a flag.
Do you sit and calmly walk to it to give the target fish time?
 Do you run to it?
Anybody got a system?

Is there a difference on how to approach a tip up in shallow water compared to deeper water?

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do you approach your tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:35 AM »
Good topic...

I tend to sneak up them and let them run no matter what species we go for.  Would be interested on other feedback as I seem to miss a few hook sets here and there if I let them run too long. 
I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:51 AM »
WE get about 6-10 fishin buddies set the the tipups all around us and eat and shoot the bull  in the center . When a flag go's up its every man for there self.Who ever gets there first ,gets to bring in the fish.We call it tackle tip-up.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:02 AM »
I use rubber bands on the top of my tip-up's
They act like a drag system to not allow the fish to empty the spool.  This shows me how aggressive the fish really is when I approach the tip-up.  If the rubber band is wound tight I immediately bring the fish in, if it's going back and forth I feed line to the fish.  It seems to work great
Good post

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:09 AM »
 Depends, most of the times i run but if its set for burbot there's no real hurry to get there because they've likely swallowed it anyways.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:26 AM »
For most of my fishing for trout and salmon I let it run.  I get to the trap to see what it is doing but generally wait.  I used to get there and set the hook but found I was pulling the bait out of alot of fish.  I don't miss many when letting it take the  bait.  Yes it may drop the bait but I figure if it drops it, it really didn't have it and I would have just pulled the bait out if I set the hook. 

I do think it depends what you are fishing for though, salmon will hit a bait and carry it for a while, then turn the bait to swallow it.  If you set the hook before it turns the bait the chances are high of you yanking it out of the fishes mouth. 

John

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I run like I am getting chased by a bear!  After 20 years of me catching pike throughthe ice I still cant slowly walk over to the tip-up.  Hey, if I miss him becasue I was too anxious.......HE'LL BE BACK!  I dont know too many fish that will pass up a free meal ;D.  I have noticed that a missed flag usually goes off again.  Kudos to you walkers!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:10 AM »
I SKIP TO MY LOO ALL THE WAY TO THE FLAG :roflmao:

Actually, I walk over pretending to be cool about it, as my heart is pounding out of my chest.   No matter what the day is like nothing gets the blood moving like a FLAG.
I used to run but as you get a little older those slip and crash to the ice recoveries take a little longer ;D
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:20 AM »
i walk slow to mind :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:38 AM »
I run as fast as I can get there, lift the tip-up out of the water and immediatly set the hook.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:47 AM »
Depends upom how far away I am. If I am a couple hundred yards away using tip-up pagers, I like to run. If I am close, then I stroll the "I've got a flag and am COOL STRUT".
Mainly I want to see if the axle is spinning, if so, I have time, if not, I hurry more.
With the pagers I can see the trap much quicker right after the take and can usually wait to set the hook on the second run.

On slow turning axles I will set instantly cause on my traps the slower, but steady turners are usually BIG Pike, and they get a mouth full right from the git go.

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:52 AM »
I run but than i walk about the last 5 or 10 feet  :tipup:

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I run but than i walk about the last 5 or 10 feet  :tipup:

Same here I generally go at a fast pace then walk the last few feet. I like to give them time and let them swallow it to their (you know what) and pull em in! lol

Offline wrightday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:09 AM »
RUN, all the way!!

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:18 AM »
when fishing for pike using very large suckers and quick strike rigs,i run and set the hook immediately.for perch and trout you have to feel the fish and then set the hook.

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:01 PM »
If I spot it first out of the group...I slip into stealth mode.  I get down on all four's and I quietly crawl between the tents...(I usually throw a snowball or two...just to distract them).  As I just get out of their proximity....I stop, look around to see if anyone has noticed then I stand up, put my hands in my pockets and casually walk over to the tip-up whistling.  ;D
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:29 AM »
I was wandering how people approach their tip ups when you get a flag.
Do you sit and calmly walk to it to give the target fish time?
 Do you run to it?
Anybody got a system?

Is there a difference on how to approach a tip up in shallow water compared to deeper water?
I calmly walk to it sometimes stopping to see if it is spinning to give the fish a chance to take it,ive run in the past and spooked fish having them drop the bait,it also depends on which way the line is aimed when you get to the hole you coul run right over the fish on a retrieve spooking him unless its in extremely deep water

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:39 AM »
Great topic by the way.

Well it really depends what is being fished and where I am.

Most times I run because when fishing with my buddies we tend to get caught up in good conversation and never see the flags go up, so we dont really know how long it has been up.

For those tip ups close to shore for northerns we may race to it on snow machines hoping all the line is not out yet.

At the end of a busy day of fishing we just send the kids to get them!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Never really thought about it, but my friend remarked that he didn't know an old fart could move that fast; so I must haul a**! Nothing like a flag to get the ol' heart pumping.

On a side note, is it just me or do any of the rest of you find this true? I get so use to looking over at a tip-up and having it still in its set position that when I look and the flag is up it doesn't seem to register in my mind for a few moments. Then all of a sudden the light comes on and I realize "Flag Up"! Sometimes I've already looked away before the realization sets in that the flag is up. I was hoping it wasn't just old age!  ;)2

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:03 PM »
when fishing for pike using very large suckers and quick strike rigs,i run and set the hook immediately.for perch and trout you have to feel the fish and then set the hook.

Dumb question time,
What's a 'quick strike rig"?  ???

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Just hit the search tab, type in quick strike rig, and you will find lots of info posted.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:10 PM »
I runa fasta! I have to beat my 8yr old.Flag is like a strter pistol!!

Favorite Technique: I have mastered the feet first slide,and as i go by, i grab the spindle and set the hook! We use quick strike rigs and lots of 25 -30 inchers. I would refrain from this in trophy waters ;D
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Can I just say I love watching guys run like hell to get to the flag, then proceed to stand there for 5 minutes... ;D  Look like such putz's ::)

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:37 PM »
I yell Flag!! and my son gets em all !! I love that !!

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:06 PM »
run????i take the quad ;D
Team Manitoba

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:58 AM »
If I spot it first out of the group...I slip into stealth mode.  I get down on all four's and I quietly crawl between the tents...(I usually throw a snowball or two...just to distract them).  As I just get out of their proximity....I stop, look around to see if anyone has noticed then I stand up, put my hands in my pockets and casually walk over to the tip-up whistling.  ;D
  Good one.

Offline Iceman4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I LOVE ICE FISHING
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:26 PM »
I'll run on my way to the tip-up then when I'm about ten yards away I slow down and walk to the flag this technique works for me all the time :P

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:36 PM »
I go just fast enough so not to spill any beer!! ;D

Offline adiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:47 PM »
 Fishing at Deep Creek, Md about 10 years ago. Fishing a flat area with jumbo shiners I saw the flag go up and walked over to it. I got about 10 feet away and the tip-up "EXPLODED" right in front of me!  Coolest thing I've ever seen!!! I kinda run to them now and walk the last couple feet. Provided we're not fishing for walleye or perch. :o

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2007, 02:31 PM »
walk at a normal pace,  count to 30, ask my buddy "what do u think?" pass a little gas, remove tip up , set hook and still miss.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.