Author Topic: Line markers  (Read 30295 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Line markers
« on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:11 PM »
just curious if there is some special, or 'neat' way to mark depth on the tip up line.   I usually use a rubberband, or tie a light knot (that will pull out with any hard pressure).  Im thinking a slip bobber bobber stopper might do the trick...so what do you use??

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Line markers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:15 PM »
just curious if there is some special, or 'neat' way to mark depth on the tip up line.   I usually use a rubberband, or tie a light knot (that will pull out with any hard pressure).  Im thinking a slip bobber bobber stopper might do the trick...so what do you use??

Regular old buttons...not very large ones either.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:26 PM »
My buddy, a local, showed me how to tie a bit of wooden matchstick or toothpick into the line.  I've watched him, and it really makes a difference.  I've tried it a couple years now, but all I do is get frozen fingers trying to tied it, or put knots in my dacron. :(

I'm thinking there are buttons in my future.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:27 PM »
  micro bobbers from HT enterprises
Ken                                          

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:38 PM »
you betcha, itty bitty clip on bobbers. You can buy them especially for tip up line markers. They are about the size of a shirt button.

Offline big j 2520

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:49 PM »
I use buttons on my tip-ups and if I was going to switch to something else. It be chicken bans. They're like a little plastic key ring and all you have to do is make a loop in the line and slid it on. No slidding buttons up or down the line.You can get them at Agway or Tractor supply. Also bobbers cost about ten times more than buttons or bans. Just my 2 cents.
If it smells worse than the bait send it back !!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Buttons but its  pain whe you switch from 60 fow to 10 fow If you dont slide the bottom back down to mark a shallower depth then the line may get caught on it when a fish runs your line out  then "snap" and the fish is broke off
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I, use Very small, two hole white button's.  :) I've no complaints, one, two, or three markers on one line. Bobber stops, work better for the line to feed out, but I can't see them as well.  ;)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:09 AM »
Also bobbers cost about ten times more than buttons or bans. Just my 2 cents.

99 cents for that 6 pack of micro bobbers. I think I can swing that. Plus I don't have to thread them on line, they just clip on wherever.
Ken                                          

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Buttons but its  pain whe you switch from 60 fow to 10 fow If you dont slide the bottom back down to mark a shallower depth then the line may get caught on it when a fish runs your line out  then "snap" and the fish is broke off

I used to have buttons on my tip-ups but had the same problems as FK.  Now I just use the little bobbers if I need to ;D

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2006, 08:57 AM »
I used to have buttons on my tip-ups but had the same problems as FK.  Now I just use the little bobbers if I need to ;D

I'll have to agree with FK on this one.  If I were fishing a variety of depths as he(and many others as well) do, then I'd say buttons might not be the answer.  I generally fish water from 6-20 feet in depth and seldom more, so the adjustment is not a big deal for me, I hold the button between my teeth and raise lower it accordingly....Esox

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Micro bobbers all the way. There just isn't anything any easier.
       Jim

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Buttons and a stout fishing line (35 + lb), no problems.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2006, 05:26 PM »
They say the only dumb question is the one never asked so here it goes...

I have never used any sort of markers on my tip up line and I can not figure out what the point would be.  Could someone please explain why they would use these.  I usually fish the bottom so I let out enough line till the weight sits on the bottom and the line doesn't go out any more.

Thanks

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2006, 06:19 PM »
They say the only dumb question is the one never asked so here it goes...

I have never used any sort of markers on my tip up line and I can not figure out what the point would be.  Could someone please explain why they would use these.  I usually fish the bottom so I let out enough line till the weight sits on the bottom and the line doesn't go out any more.

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all...I set my bait for pike at 4 feet off bottom as a good starting point.  I sound the depth, set my button 4 feet below where my line enters the water, put on my bait and the button either sets on top of the reel or just below it, and after catching a fish I don't have to reset my depth, the button tells me where my line needs to be.....Esox

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Walltrout, esox slayer stated the number one reason, for line markers, too be able to reset the depth quickly! The other reason, is by the time one gets to the hole, and nothings moving, you can sometimes judge, how much line was taking, and in what direction! Set the hook, or wait!  :-\

camo_fish

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2006, 05:33 AM »

There ya go, quickest and easiest way there is, and they go in your pocket. They last 1-3 seasons and there is no breaking the bank for them, heck the change in the truck.  ;)  :tipup:

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Not a dumb question at all...I set my bait for pike at 4 feet off bottom as a good starting point.  I sound the depth, set my button 4 feet below where my line enters the water, put on my bait and the button either sets on top of the reel or just below it, and after catching a fish I don't have to reset my depth, the button tells me where my line needs to be.....Esox

Thanks for the info.  I guess fishing on the bottem is why I never needed them before.  I'll give it a shot this coming winter.

Walltrout

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:41 PM »
My buddy, a local, showed me how to tie a bit of wooden matchstick or toothpick into the line.  I've watched him, and it really makes a difference.  I've tried it a couple years now, but all I do is get frozen fingers trying to tied it, or put knots in my dacron. :(

I'm thinking there are buttons in my future.

mainedog if i ever have the pleasure ill gladly show to you that knot as it was shown to me by an an old icefishing buddy...very simple.

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2006, 07:24 AM »
i use the bobbers but tend to loose them alot in the shanty so buy several packs.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2006, 09:34 AM »
Think everyone has lost something in the old shanty.
I like the bobers but only use em from time to time. I often will check the holes with the vex and mark depths that meet and then set baits. Example if Iam fishing a drop from 5 to 10 fow, I will set baits at the 5 foot level in 10 fow. Sometimes its really the ticket and other time nothing? Part of the game, but a indicator really helps to get you back quick and 100%
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:58 AM »
I buy painted splitshots. then i can use a few colours for differnt depths. Works Ok

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I use small pieces of garbage bag twist ties. (the ones that are plastic with a thin wire in the middle)
I have thought about trying the buttons but I fish from 3 to 100 fow.

I'm with red fin here. Bread bag twists are easy enough.  ;D
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Very good idea RedFin--the twist ties.  Thanks for the offer Builditrite.  I'll hold you to if it if I get down your way (or you make it up near mine).

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Twist Ties!  :-\ Will rust in a heartbeat! If you leave them on, and don't go fishing in a couple day's. I, like too have a marker, that let's  me re-set, quickly, on a return trip! :)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2006, 10:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
There ya go, quickest and easiest way there is, and they go in your pocket. They last 1-3 seasons and there is no breaking the bank for them, heck the change in the truck.  ;)  :tipup:

Ditto

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:50 PM »
I just use the bobber stop twine knots.  Piece of cake,  easy to move.  Only need to put them on once and yer done.

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:23 PM »
I like buttons cause they are old school.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:16 PM »
i use light green line and mark every 10 feet with red or black marker :tipup:

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I have used buttons forever
Might try something new but why
Buttons work ;D
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.