Author Topic: Line markers  (Read 30286 times)

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Line markers
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:03 PM »
just curious if there is some special, or 'neat' way to mark depth on the tip up line.   I usually use a rubberband, or tie a light knot (that will pull out with any hard pressure).  Im thinking a slip bobber bobber stopper might do the trick...so what do you use??

As stated in an earlier post.  I use a white button.  Line in one eye and out the other.  The size is probably about 3/8 inch.  If the line doesn't fit the hole just ream it a little with a drill so it will slide when you want to move it.
Shut up and fish.

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2006, 07:48 PM »
matchstick with a slip knot, pull the stick out the knot goes away. 

Used to do the button, but had them break, freeze in a spot when really cold, froze my hands moving the button when pulling traps.  I took them all off.  Matchstick is much better and easier I find much less hassle.

John

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2006, 10:36 PM »

Used to do the button, but had them break, freeze in a spot when really cold, froze my hands moving the button when pulling traps.  I took them all off.  Matchstick is much better and easier I find much less hassle.

John
Great idea.  I'm going to try it.
Shut up and fish.

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:51 AM »
just curious if there is some special, or 'neat' way to mark depth on the tip up line.   I usually use a rubberband, or tie a light knot (that will pull out with any hard pressure).  Im thinking a slip bobber bobber stopper might do the trick...so what do you use??
see if you can get stainless steel alligator clips its quick and easy for removal ,especially if you change depth,plus they clip on your jacket when your done,the little line marker bobbers suck because sometimes they wont open because their made cheap,and when its cold and your fingers are numb they really suck to remove

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Regular old buttons...not very large ones either.....Esox

I'm with you Esox.  I use the smallest buttons I can find.  The holes need to be big enough for your line to slide through. 

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Think everyone has lost something in the old shanty.
I like the bobers but only use em from time to time. I often will check the holes with the vex and mark depths that meet and then set baits. Example if Iam fishing a drop from 5 to 10 fow, I will set baits at the 5 foot level in 10 fow. Sometimes its really the ticket and other time nothing? Part of the game, but a indicator really helps to get you back quick and 100%
  I also use my vex and a bobber.

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:50 PM »
I mark my line with a very small bobber. The smallest I can find. They can be moved very ealily to the required depth.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:03 AM »

John

i do the same john...no abuse to your backing this way....ive never met anyone else who did it this way other than the guy who showed me and my kids   :D

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:23 AM »
I use to use the little buttons but now go with the micro bobbers.  Match sticks would be fine just try them all and use what you like.

Offline harpua

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:06 AM »
I have always used tiny split shots.

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:47 AM »
Ive always used the smallest removable split shot I could find (bb size).  I did see the micro bobbers though ....... i figured you would feel more resistence with that though .. seems like a popular choice in reading thru this thread though.  Maybe ill give em a try.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2007, 03:47 AM »
i use small bobbers becuese we fish in at lease 50fow or more also marker line every 10ft to see how much line go's out when a fish hits it  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Ive always used the smallest removable split shot I could find (bb size).  I did see the micro bobbers though ....... i figured you would feel more resistence with that though .. seems like a popular choice in reading thru this thread though.  Maybe ill give em a try.

The resistance isnt really a problem when you have a big ole toothy critter just hammerin your line.  Once caught I can usually rebait and drop it back in then reel the line up to the bobber and its fishing immediatly.

I feel goffy...never heard of a button being used....Always used a bobber.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline walbra60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG------------STAFF, ARIZONA
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:25 PM »
i use plastic buttons. just find the bottom come up then lip the button were you want your bait. then i just reel the button up to the eyelet in front of the spool. :tipup:
i love the gander mountain discount.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I had always been a button guy - until I found the HT micro bobber. It works great. The only problem I ever had was this year when it was -12 with a wind chill of -38 and I couldn't get my fingers to work properly to change depths after 6 hours. :tipup:

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #45 on: Oct 18, 2007, 01:13 AM »
i use buttons and haven't had a problem with them yet but i only fish from 3-40ft. so it isnt that hard to change. i tried the bobbers but found that if it was really cold out and you tried to change the depth the bobbers would freeze up if not moved quickly and they suck trying to move them with cold fingers

Offline joefishfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Oct 18, 2007, 02:53 AM »
Have had pretty good luck with HT micro bobbers last couple years

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Oct 18, 2007, 10:24 AM »
i've been using slip bobber stops to mark my line. i used to use buttons.
i use the ones made of heavy thread, they come wrapped around a little piece of tubing.
i dont use the beads that come with them.

i'll use a weight to find the bottom, and then slide my stop to the surface of the water in the hole.
now i know what the depth is, i adjust my bait by counting turns on my reel.

they don't last all season, but about time they wear out i'm ready to re-rig my gear anyway
you could put a couple on to mark different depths.
when a fish takes, they have no resistance in the water.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline CTFishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2007, 10:31 AM »
I use tiny splitshot as a depth marker,it allows me to easily change depth.i find it much easier to deal with than buttons or twist ties,ecspecially when fishing deep water.

Iuse yellow and orange 30# dacron flyline backing for tip up line.which I have  a measured mark every 10' with a sharpie . I make a black slash for every ten feet .Basically one slash at 10' ,2 slashes at 20',3 slashes at 30',4 slashes at 40' ect.I do this to 100'.Inbetween to 10' slash marks i make a red slash at 5' in between the black slashes.It took me a couple of hours to mark my lines but it was well worth it in the end. No more guessing how deep the bottom is or how deep I am fishing.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Iuse yellow and orange 30# dacron flyline backing for tip up line.which I have  a measured mark every 10' with a sharpie . I make a black slash for every ten feet .Basically one slash at 10' ,2 slashes at 20',3 slashes at 30',4 slashes at 40' ect.I do this to 100'.Inbetween to 10' slash marks i make a red slash at 5' in between the black slashes.It took me a couple of hours to mark my lines but it was well worth it in the end. No more guessing how deep the bottom is or how deep I am fishing.

I use to do the same thing before I started guiding the hard water.  With over 20 polars and many, many more traps, I gave up!  I just use buttons now.

Offline Whiskey_on_ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:05 AM »
I Don't use any...Just reset the depth every time.  It only takes a minute.  I don't like the idea of having extra crap on the line that my 30+'' walleye might feel dragging in the water.   

Offline Tautog Rich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:12 AM »
I'M USING BRIGHTLY COLORED RUBBER BANDS WHICH I LOOP ONTOTHE LINE ANYWHERE I LIKE, THEN SNUG 'EM DOWN TIGHT. I CUT OFF MOST OF IT, LEAVING TWO TAG ENDS AMYBE 1/8 OF AN INCH LONG. THEY CAN BE SLID UP OR DOWN AND STILL STAY ON THE LINE WHER YOU LEAVE 'EM. THEY COME OFF EASY TOO ONCE YOU'RE DONE---JUST PULL THEM OFF WITH TWO FINGER NAILS(MAY TAKE A SECOND TRY---THEY STAY ON NICELY).

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #52 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:25 AM »
i used the premade thread stopper last season for slip bobber set up but in that -10 weather it gets realy frozen to the line, i think ill have to use ht's micro bobber this year.

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:14 PM »
 I use to use small bobbers years ago,then when it go really cold the fish couldn't pull the bobber through the skim ice or felt enough resistance and would drop it now I use a double loop and part of a stick match or tooth pick and the fish don't seem to feel it.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Have always wondered about this button/bobber/line marking/depth setting for tip-ups. If I use my flasher to determine the depth, and then lower my line/bait watching with the Vex in the water, I can see exactly where my bait is positioned. If I am in 15' and want my bait 2' off the bottom I can see it is 2' from the bottom.
If I get a hit (and heaven forbid, I miss) I pull my line in and rebait. Knowing what my arm span is and holding the baited end of the line in one hand and pulling line with the other hand till my arms are fully stretched, I have 5' of line. Then dropping the baited end in the hole while holding the 5' mark with my  fingers and pulling another arm span of line I have another 5' of line to drop in the water. Given that I do not have to be exactly at 2' off the bottom I can pull roughly an additional 3' of line and let it down the hole. I may be at 12', 13' or 14'. Would it make that much difference? I mean a foot or two difference in depth I wouldn't think to be that critical. Not like I am trying to jig for tight lipped crappie sitting in a brush pile. Once I know the depth using my Vex and knowing my arm span I would think I get close enough.

If I am going for pike and such, then being a little closer to the bottom won't hurt and if I am fishing for other types of fish, being a little further from the bottom shouldn't hurt? Agressive fish tend to attach from the bottom up. So just curious as to why such detail to depth when using a tip-up?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #55 on: Nov 13, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Been using the same depth marking system for 40 years; slip knot with a pcs of match - end of day ,just remove match. I can fish a variety of lakes and depths and not have to slide a button up and down the line every time you fish,and change depths during the day if needed
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:29 AM »
I am with the tiny split shot guys.  They spool up a lot nicer at the end of the day too, and I hate spooling up tip-ups after a day of negative temps.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:51 AM »
up till this year I have used a red sharpy to get the line to the same spot   Now I wont due to #1 red line   #2 let the vex tell me where it is  lol!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ralwag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PARTY'S ON THE ICE!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 16, 2007, 06:55 PM »
I use buttons. They work fine and have no trouble when winding up for the day. :tipup:

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:08 AM »
red beads from the craft store work great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.