Author Topic: Tip-Up Parts  (Read 35155 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-Up Parts
« Reply #60 on: Mar 07, 2005, 11:24 AM »
If all you have done is drill the holes and you really want them shinny then do the Marine poly or Varnish. You may have to drill the holes out after but this would be the best time to do it.
No need for your head to be spinning! Figure out if you want shine or not and go for it.
I like the oil but this in no way means you have to!
Just be sure to sand them to 220 or finer and have all oil and grease off before you coat. You would be surprised how much oil is in your hands and fingers so buy some tiny eye hooks, screw one into the end of each stick and hang them. After the finish is completely done, both coats, remove the hooks and spot coat the tiny holes you made.
Good luck.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #61 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Hey Reelcharacter...what do you know about this sniper bid program .....

IceDawg,

Since we are kind of getting off the topic, I will send you a direct email. (Unless someone else wants some eBay discussion here. What little I know, I have learned the hard way from collecting boy scout patches and having to sell some to support the affliction. (Yes, I am addicted to something other than just fishing . . .   :)

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:30 PM »
DAve, Now the art work is sweet! You better PM me and give the details of how you did that!
I just know you are itching to do the finish so why wait????? It is a one ore two night task depending on how many coats you do.
We can't wait to see those babies all done and just think, if you get to it you could break them in this season. We will have ice into April here for sure.

CT Ice Dawg

« Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:53 PM »
Thanks Bro.....I'm still looking over some decals that they use for rod building.....we do mostly bass fishing round here so I've found a few I want to add...the guys at Janns Netcraft have been alotta help...I'd really like to see em in action this year but Im not sure they will be :(
I went to 3 places today looking for the epoxy I wanted and no one had it...I have a couple more places to go tommoro....if not I'll havta order it online.....I'll keep ya posted.
CT ID

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Mar 11, 2005, 11:32 PM »
If you have a West MArine anywhere close try them. Might also find it at a auto paint store that services collission shops.
Did you burn your name in, paint it thru a stencil or what???

CT Ice Dawg

« Reply #65 on: Mar 12, 2005, 08:11 AM »
Thats where I went....we hav a boaters world,and a west marine....niehter one had it.. Im going to woodcraft and see if they hav it....they had it on thier web site.
I actually used a rub-on decal for the lettering..I found them at a local craft store AC Moore.
The letters were very easy to use,made for crafts and wood,I can also epoxy over them.
They came out ok. Im still looking over the decals though.....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 12, 2005, 08:42 AM »
The stenciled decals look great to me and as long as the top coat will not lift them off I would go with it myself.
Guess your boating stores are not with the program there! I have found the epoxy at every marine store I enter and it is quite popular all along the great lakes.
Hope you locate it soon. Think it is made over by Buffalo and they have a store I have been to.
Gary

CT Ice Dawg

« Reply #67 on: Mar 12, 2005, 09:10 AM »
They're outta Auburn WA..and very well may have a store in Buff...I was kinda surprised that neither of the 2 boating stores carried it....this stuff is designed for heavy protection and recommended for below waterline applications. I can apply 3 light coats then sand the 3rd...
I think I'll prolly order it online if I cant find it today.
The rub-on letters I used came from a company called MakingMemories, you can see the differant letters they carry on thier website....I did see another type I liked but the store didnt have em...woulda like to make it a little more designer and classy than a block type letter....but never the less they look ok. The woman at the craft store said her husband has used them on wood projects and never had a problem with them peeling or cracking.
Im kinda gettin a lil antsy and wanna see em done but I jus wanna take my time n doit right the 1st time....when I'm done I dont wanna say.."Oh Man'''I shoulda done that". So I'll just keep the wheels turning for now and have em ready fer next year.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #68 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:21 AM »
CT,

You may just have to float them on some styrafoam this spring to try them out.   :)
I can't imaging having to wait 8 months to try out them babies?!

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.