Author Topic: Tip-Up Parts  (Read 35154 times)

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip-Up Parts
« on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:22 AM »
I want to make a few of my own tipups but I do not know where to get some of the parts like the flag and trigger wire and the spools and such, does anyone know of a supply company for this stuff or if anyone sells kits/instructions?

Offline geckoinmypants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • YOU WANNA CATCH WHAT ?????
Re: Tip-Up Parts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:41 AM »
You can get almost everything you need at the home depo.And for the tubes for the trigger assembly I got some at a local craft shop.You can make red flags out of tailight repair tape. Just buy or borrow any ones tip up and copy away!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:18 AM »
www.FISH307.com carries all the parts for the heritage lakers if you are interested in making great traps. Sadly. the cost of the parts is higher then the completely assembled rigs. I think the only reason to do this is if you are like me and had a nice slab of Teak wood or some other exotic laying around to make high end Tips.
My finished home made ones now work as good as the real Heritage Lakers, will last a lifetime and look awesome.
Basically I just killed some time, played with my wood working machines, enjoyed the project and spent easily twice as much in making my own.
Have fun but if you decide to do it then check out the site because the parts are probably the best available and a tried and true mechanism.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:33 AM »
I want to make a few of my own tipups but I do not know where to get some of the parts like the flag and trigger wire and the spools and such, does anyone know of a supply company for this stuff or if anyone sells kits/instructions?

Look for some Tip-Up information in the following invention section:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.0

Also an extensive Tip-Up section at:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=30.0

Good luck,
-Reelcharacter

PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:36 AM »
If you check out the archived sections from previous posts, there may be more info there as well. I recall someone last year recommending using the metal strips from windshield wipers for the flag arm. (Damn, come to think of it, I just threw an old set of wipers away).  :-\

These are the right width and length can be adjusted. Good strong springy metal for the flag arm.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

bearME

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:47 AM »
 ::)   Try Jack Traps site . They sell all the parts you may need.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2005, 10:28 PM »
::)   Try Jack Traps site . They sell all the parts you may need.

Could not find it with a quick Google search. Do you have a link to the site?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:26 AM »
here's the link..  expensive stuff..  I'd go wth the local hardware store for most of this stuff.. 
http://www.jacktraps.com/
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:44 AM »
here's the link..  expensive stuff..  I'd go wth the local hardware store for most of this stuff.. 
http://www.jacktraps.com/

Thanks.

Can at least use Jack's to make up the shopping list, before hitting the hardware store.
Half the fun is in the scrounging any way . . .   :)

-Reelcharacter

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:13 AM »
I think you will find, if you want good quality parts, the cost will be right up there.
Weather you go Jack Traps or Heritage Laker or any of the other quality makes you will not buy the parts for bargin basement prices.
For the total do it yourself bargin basement project I have seen guys use the spool the line comes on by drilling a hole and installing a screw as a trip triger. Some even add another screw on the out side as a winder. Most of these have been added to the inexpensive cross brace tip ups available for a few bucks in the local Wal MArt stores.
I seriously doubt anyone will be able to reproduce any tip up completely from scratch for less then they can be purchased for. I also believe the only good reason to do this yourself is to make a better trap and not to attempt to save money.
With cheep working tip ups sold for $2.99 each you can catch just as many fish as with Heritage Lakers or Jack Traps. Weather they work as smooth, look as nice or are as durable is where "do it yourself" should begin.

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2005, 06:57 PM »
Ok here is what I am useing on my traps I am creating right now. for the trip mechinism I am useing stainless steel tubing (you can get it from an auto parts store) 1/8" steel tig welding rod (local welding supply) slid inside with a very mild greese inside of the tube. the welding rod can be bent to make your trip. for the upper part that trips the flag I am basically copying the heritage laker setup useing 1/16" aluminum than for the flag I am useing 1/8" tig rod attached to a spring (available at home depot, 2 for under 3 bucks can be found in the door and window accesory area) to attach the rod to the spring just screw a wooden dowel into the spring about a half inch with a hole in the center smaller than the welding rod so you have to force it in and a little bit of glue and it is attached than do the same for the top of the trap just screw it through the center hole to the trap. (just like the laker) for the reel I am basically creating an exact copy of the jack traps 4" reel very easy to make. Of course I have most of the equiptment available to me through work but everything is available through the stores previously mentioned. Any questions feel free to ask.
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Transplant, Sounds like your traps should be pretty nice!
Now, for what I was trying to say, if you can get most of the materials for $ 0 and you have the wood that cost NOTHING and the time which is worthless then you can make great tip ups for very little useing the basics of the other great tip ups.
I did it and it appears you did it but the fact is; If I pay myself for the time and effort spent, buy the materials and add up the hours, I can buy them ready made much cheeper.
I know there are alot of us out here who like to "DIY" but the facts are that making a better trap is a labor of love that will never be less expensive unless we forget about paying the pipper!
My Teak Wood tip ups are fine examples of all the best ideas and materials available yet, I would have a very hard time selling them on ebay or to the general public for half of what they actually cost. I suspect yours are in the same catagory.
I guess what I was attempting to say and possibly did not get accross is that VICTOR made the mouse trap and many have attempted to make it better but none have succeeded.
We can get by with home made traps but you can't do it much cheeper then the manufacturers.
I do love the ones I made and I am sure yours are fine examples of ingenuity that will never get you rich but will always be loved.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2005, 10:19 PM »
Transplant,

Tried to post a compliment, but it did not go through to this site the first time. The TipUps sound like they will rival the better engineered store bought types. How can you place a value on something made by hand? These sound like family heirlooms to be.

How about transplanting a picture or two to this topic. If you want to email them to me I will post them.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter      email: [email protected]

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2005, 06:29 AM »
as soon as I get my traps done (hopefully this week) I will definatly post a pic with detailed instructions as to what where how much and all that good stuff. I agree with the time issue but like I have said there is something to be said about useing a product that you have created.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:30 AM »
I would love to see the pics and am always impressed with the stuff we can come up with in our own work shops. I keep thinking back to a design I saw last year by RGFIXIT out of PVC pipe and some simple supplies he wipped together.
Some of us like to disign our own and others like to copy tried and true existing designs and maybee improve upon them but the fact is, as stated above, We did it ourselves and alot of love went into them.
I have seen lots of various home made traps out on the ice and one thing is for sure, the fanciest, most expensive tip up, rod or rig is no better at catching fish then the cheepest working models we make.
Keep playing and creating because if, for no other reason, it does your heart and spirit good and provides us all with some interesting ideas.

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:58 AM »
I would love to see the pics and am always impressed with the stuff we can come up with in our own work shops. I keep thinking back to a design I saw last year by RGFIXIT out of PVC pipe and some simple supplies he wipped together.
Some of us like to disign our own and others like to copy tried and true existing designs and maybee improve upon them but the fact is, as stated above, We did it ourselves and alot of love went into them.
I have seen lots of various home made traps out on the ice and one thing is for sure, the fanciest, most expensive tip up, rod or rig is no better at catching fish then the cheepest working models we make.
Keep playing and creating because if, for no other reason, it does your heart and spirit good and provides us all with some interesting ideas.
Amen brother, and I totally agree with you cause the world of fishing is 40% having money and 60% inginuity. As I grew up my grandfather never bought a lure. never bought bait every part of fishing for him was bulding his own equiptment and finding his bait. The man still is a great fisherman and learning from him has been the greatest expierence in my life. My tackle box contains many of his homemade rigs and I use them all the time. I love it.

NH Togue

« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2005, 11:23 AM »
OK "transplantfromMN", like your take on a custom trap design, not unlike what I am contemplating, collecting parts and getting ready to start building.

The question I have is how are you making the aluminum side plates for your Jack-trap spool copies? What are you using for the trip and hand reel pins (screws, or press fit)? I am looking for an easy way to cut a batch of the side plates myself. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:31 PM »
Ok TP from MN, you have peeked our interest and we are patiently awaiting the pics. Love to see the sh%# we members come up with but Jeeze, does it have to be like fishing! LOL
I should not be biching because on this slow poke dial up I could never post a pic with out getting dumped a half dozen times and getting more aggrivated then it is worth. The price I pay to live in the wild is sometimes more then I wish to pay but then I look in the back yard and see the trout rising in the stream and the deer and bear eating at the feeder and it all makes perfect sense.
All kidding aside and not preasuring you but get the darn pics up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you get it figured out I will gladly send pics of my inventions to see if you can get them on too.
I am a die hard Jiggerrigger from a way back and really do love seeing what we all come up with. Heck, if it was not for inventiveness I would find this thread boreing.

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2005, 04:42 PM »
OK "transplantfromMN", like your take on a custom trap design, not unlike what I am contemplating, collecting parts and getting ready to start building.

The question I have is how are you making the aluminum side plates for your Jack-trap spool copies? What are you using for the trip and hand reel pins (screws, or press fit)? I am looking for an easy way to cut a batch of the side plates myself.
I am cutting the side plates with a 4" hole saw out of 1/16" aluminum than welding aluminum tubeing to it for the reel pins and making another piece to weld to it. I know all dont have the ability to obtain a tig welder therefore I do believe that you could probably use like a countersink screw or something like that. just keep the inside smooth so your line will not get hung up on anything.
as for the pics I am soo trying to get these traps done and I do promise I will post pics. Just gotta give this guy some time. bear with me yall.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:24 PM »
OK TP MN, we will cut you a bit of slack but get with it and get them posted.
We could be fishing and having more luck ;D

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2005, 06:24 AM »
Ok guys here is a quick pic of my finally finished trap. I just completed this last night and have 4 more to make today. in this pic the Heritage laker is on the left and my Laker/Jack mix is on the right. I gotta get some batteries than I will take some close up pics of the trip mech and all that. I still have to stain the new trap so bear with me.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2005, 12:44 PM »
Sweet job. how tall does the trap stand when the flag is up?

NH Togue

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2005, 03:00 PM »
Damn nice looking rig!  That is pretty close to what I had in mind for my "improved traps".  Like the height of the main support frame!

Why didn't you shoot the works and go for a longer flag rod?  You could have shortened the trip mechanism and saved material that way, and still gotten even more flag height.

How about a close up of the reels?  Did you use a spring-and-washer style drag, or just a friction nut?

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2005, 05:13 PM »
I didnt go longer on the flag due to the fact that all the springs that I found would not pull the flag up well and stand straight with too much weight. I just used a friction nut on my reels but I have to change the setup a little after this weekend as I have found some problems with the reels I made. hopefully soon I will get that issue but for now they work great. I am planning on trying to get a parts list togather along with pictures to explain how I came up with all the items on the traps.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2005, 06:19 PM »
TP from MN, SWEET ;D
They do look very nice and I commend you on your efforts.
Now the Tweeking begins to get them just right!
I have a local hardware store that has a pull out tray full of springs that I might be able to find stronger ones for you so the flags work like they are pitching a tent ;D
I like the long verticle shafts but they do get tough to carry at times. Think the longer flag staff is a great idea if you can find the tougher springs. Height is Height and no matter how you get the flags up there, lighter is better IMHO.
I have seen many guys use the spools the line comes on for the reels and they work great but are not durable, cheap though.
Wish I could see them a bit clearer and hope you get the close ups posted one of these days. I happen to SUCK at photography so I can't fault you here in any way.
The best part of them is that you will get them working perfect and have top notch equipment with a life time guarantee!

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2005, 06:37 PM »
In all reality my flags do span pretty high I just looked at the pic and that soo doesnt do it justice. They span 21" from the top of the trap plus I am placing extra large flags on there for better view. So all in all not too bad.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2005, 07:18 PM »
TP from MN, Sent you an Email with attachment. Hope you LYAO ;D

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2005, 11:33 PM »
Very nice Transplant, you have rewarded our patience.
(Now you have us hanging on in anticipation of the close-ups).

Way to keep us still in suspense!!!

Can't wait to hear when the first fish is caught on one.

-Reelcharacter

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2005, 04:07 AM »
One, I made 5 LOL. Right now I am really hoping that these will work out well being that they will be being used in a derby this weekend. I have more plans going in the mix right now like new reels and such as I am not extremly comfortable with the reel system taht I am useing. If you go to the jack traps website find the parts page and look at their 4" reel that is pretty much the same design I used but finding hardware like they are useing is damn near imposible therefore I have had to use some high strength glue to keep my reels togather to get me by till I can get my buddy to mill me out some nice new reels on the CNC machine. hopefully soon I will have some beautiful all aluminum reels that will never break. Gamealot that was a funny vid man I dont remember where I saw it before but it was great to see it again none the less. Thank you everyone on the comments on my traps.

NH Togue

« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Awesome!  Good luck with the news reels. 

If you and your bud have success with the all-aluminum reels and can find the time to make some spares, let me know.  If the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in buying 6 or 12 of them.  Would save me the trouble of duplicating the jack style reels.  I have too much experience already in rebuilding those, as I inherited five old (vintage mid-1980's) original style jack traps from my dad. He still lives in Maine, but since the Florida winter climate better suits him in his retirement, he doesn't ice fish anymore!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.