Author Topic: Slammer Tipups for pike  (Read 18785 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Slammer Tipups for pike
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2005, 02:36 AM »
      Gee guys. I was gonna jump in here just to talk about the Slammers,(kits), that I bought from Slamco, but I do NOT want anyone to thiink I'm taking sides in this issue. I come from a long line of inventors, artists, hobbyists, singers, and songwriters. We have ALL been ripped off at one time or another by simultanious thinkers and doers, many of whom attempt to improve some things or invent others that we feel we've invented, they just got there first, like Edison and Tesla with electricity. Both great ideas but each with limitations, then along came MicroWave.
       The Slammer "Idea" may have had its origins in our caveman ancestry when we bent a sapling over, hooked the end under a rock and tossed a bait out to catch fish, or a loop of line to snare a rabbit. We had 'Discovered' how to store energy in a 'Spring loaded Device'. The fine tuning of such a device is where, and why, I paid for the kits. Most of the information I needed to make it all worthwhile were in the instructions.
      Seeing the hardware, and its good quality, and assembly instructions, and the final result, allowed me to take 'em out onto the ice and actually participate in the contest with them first time out, which made the purchase price well worthwhile,(to me at least). It meant that I didn't have to fish with less than my five hole limit for tip-ups.
      I got the two kits three days before a contest and assembled them according to the instructions. All things considered, even at that point I personally felt that I got my moneys worth because all the "Fine tune while yer freein' on the ice..." stuff was already done for me in the instructions.
      There were about a hundred people on Mariaville Lake, and many of 'em spent more time lookin' at, and talkin' 'bout them Slammers. The target fish for the day was Pickerel, and while I didn't get anything I at least felt confident that the devices worked when the final set-up was done.
      The ONLY problem with having your line down through the water with the reel above is freeze up,(a drop or two of Canola,(vegetable) oil on the line near the rod tip helps), like my Windlass,(a favorite), or some others.
      The Slammers have a protected name, and someone took the time to fine tune the system, and sells a viable product for a reasonable price. I don't see anyone else selling them, AND I don't see anyone who has a Ford pickup calling ol'Henry out on this board to berate his product or manner of selling it. How 'bout THAT Blazer fans?
       I also thought the boards were a forum to dis-cuss ideas, not just dis folks' ideas and cuss 'em out. Slammers is a Slamco name, like Xerox, but not as rich(?). ;D ;D ;D
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

biggrizzly

« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2005, 05:55 AM »
What kind of results do you guys get with slammers compared to regular tipups?

I like slammers but tip ups work just as well.

Knife2sharp

« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2005, 06:45 AM »
I basically bought the kit to get the instructions and the parts list.  The only thing the kit gives you that you can't find at a hardware store is the rod holder and the flags.  I was able to find 2 rod holders similar to the Slammer rod holder at a sporting good store, and I was able to find the flags in my yard.  SBC came out and put flags in where underground wires were buried so when NSP came out they would know where not to dig.  These flags are the exact same as the Slammer flags, except they don't say 'Slamco' on them. 

I was able to make 3 once I got my own parts because in WI we can use 3 lines and I wanted 3 different size slammers. 

ice4life

« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2005, 07:59 AM »
    I am goin to try a quick strike rig on my slammer. That way, no matter where the fish grabs the minnow, it will catch the fish. I Will let you know the results of this on saterday. 
    I make my own quick strike rigs. I use the nylon tip up line. Find the middle and then put a loop there to hook your swivel to it. then tie your treble hooks to the 2 ends . Its a lot more flexible than the steel leader kind. It alows the minnow act normal and swim around more. Hopefully this will work and wont have so many missed flags.

~Tight Lines

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:51 PM »
Sorry to bring this back up, but does anyone have a closer picture of a "slammer" or errr......"slapper"?

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:03 PM »
I was going to the slamco site to buy one of these slammers until i seen this post this slammerman is a real piece of work and there is no way in hell i would give that guy my money now seems like he got a lil angry when he was called a hipocrit thats a take off of a design that has been around before me i showed it to my dad and he said and old timer in ludington in the 70s had something that was identical and worked awsome so ill just make my own thanks!
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:57 PM »
ever since he started posting on this site he hasn't had anything good to say to people. i can't really blame him to much for not being happy about people making a similar device to the one he sells. but from the way it looks he essentially joined this site to battle with people over the use of a copy righted name and to try to prove that he is the only person capable of "engineering" a kit to build a functioning device. If he wants to lose business because he wants to insult the intelligence of his potential customer base to fuel his fragile ego thats fine. he won't get any money from me. the only problem for him now is that the term slammer has gone the way of the Q-tip and kleenex. very few refer to those items as cotton swabs and facial tissue. for all intents and purposes in the eye of the general public the term slammer is a general term for the device. if he hasn't learned to live with that he is fighting a losing battle.

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:11 AM »
how would a "bait-runner" style reel work on one of theses rigs.
Seems like you would need pretty nice weather for them to work well: (blowing)snow/rain/wind/extreme cold?

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:16 AM »
 A bait runner reel would work well for a dead rod, in fact I had one but pretty well wore it out bait fishing. Need to get another one or two, though. But on a slammer you need the spool tension of a regular drag to set the hook on the strike.

Ron

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:05 PM »
your dad is correct howie. the first one i seen was called the steelie slammer, almost 30 years ago.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:11 AM »
            The Slammer "Idea" may have had its origins in our caveman ancestry when we bent a sapling over, hooked the end under a rock and tossed a bait out to catch fish, or a loop of line to snare a rabbit. We had 'Discovered' how to store energy in a 'Spring loaded Device'. The fine tuning of such a device is where, and why, I paid for the kits. Most of the information I needed to make it all worthwhile were in the instructions.
      Seeing the hardware, and its good quality, and assembly instructions, and the final result, allowed me to take 'em out onto the ice and actually participate in the contest with them first time out, which made the purchase price well worthwhile,(to me at least). It meant that I didn't have to fish with less than my five hole limit for tip-ups.

Since I'm sittin' here with this open can o' worms - it seems that more people are happy than not that we (I didn't do it alone) designed and developed Slammer Tip-Ups. If anyone'd like a demo, I'll be out on Hamlin Lake Sunday afternoon (weather permitting) jigging for 'gills and catching pike on my Slammer

I was going to the slamco site to buy one of these slammers until i seen this post. This Slammerman is a real piece of work and there is no way in hell i would give that guy my money now. Seems like he got a lil angry when he was called a hypocrite - that's a take off of a design that has been around before me. I showed it to my dad and he said an old timer in Ludington in the 70s had something that was identical and worked awesome -  so I'll just make my own thanks!

Yup, I AM a piece of work, try not to be a hypocrite, and if you check some of those posts - that was 2005 (which was a BAD year personally for me, I wrote some of them on little sleep, and I was quite the grumpy old man at the time) and I would like to apologize to anyone I offended in previous posts and replies. Please don't give me your money because my wife would get it anyway (and she doesn't like to icefish).

I tend not to get angry, but like to TRY to set the "record" straight. So here it is again: The Slammer Tip-Up is NOT a take-off, but an original design of a "concept". The "something like that" isn't a Slammer and is NOT identical other than there's a rod with the tip held under tension by a release on a drop-away arm. It's a Tripper (custom built to a particular rod) which has a pivot pin trip mechanism (which WAS a take-off of the Whip-Up) and there MAY have been one or two Trippers or Whip-Ups that someone (Ken Prior?) in West Michigan had made sometime in the 70's after a seeing a Whip-Up (late 60's - early 70's), but NO ONE during that time that fished Pentwater Lake, Pere Marquette Lake, Muskegon Lake, Stony Lake, or White Lake for steelhead ever used, had, or SAW them until the early '90's when Charlie from Ludington COPIED the old man's (who didn't fish anymore) from Buttersville? Tripper and then Doug copied Charlie's Tripper and the "Cadillac Guys" copied Doug's Tripper and they used them until they switched to Slammers. Steelhead were caught through the ice in the 70's and 80's though - I fished steelies on the ice with my dad and his buddies on Pentwater with long rods in those days, Doug and Charlie fished P.M. with dead-sticks and Grumpy Charlie from Whitehall and others caught their steelhead through the ice with stick tip-ups loaded with mono on White, Stony, and Muskegon Lakes.

TRIPPER DEVICES

I never saw a Tripper until after I designed my own Slammer prototype. Why didn't you see or hear about Trippers?? .. one reason is Trippers are notorious rod breakers so you need darn near a solid fiberglass rod and you have to compress the tip ... another is the fish often feels the long release and drops the bait so they don't work as well. Whips Ups are line tanglers, hard to make, and can also break your rod. I've also never seen a Tripper used for anything other than steelhead baited with spawn or wigglers.

Doug gave my buddy Richie and I the "concept" of a "downrigger on ice" and we designed and developed Slammer Tip-Ups. As for known rod-holder devices of this sort: the Whip-Up came first, then the Tripper, then the Slammer Tip-Up (which we also called the Steelie Slammer), then the Fishing Buddy, then the Arctic Warrior, and now the Automatic Ice Fisherman - ALL with different release mechanisms yet utilizing a rod and reel.

ever since he started posting on this site he hasn't had anything good to say to people. i can't really blame him too much for not being happy about people making a similar device to the one he sells. but from the way it looks he essentially joined this site to battle with people over the use of a copy righted name and to try to prove that he is the only person capable of "engineering" a kit to build a functioning device. If he wants to lose business because he wants to insult the intelligence of his potential customer base to fuel his fragile ego thats fine. he won't get any money from me. the only problem for him now is that the term slammer has gone the way of the Q-tip and kleenex. very few refer to those items as cotton swabs and facial tissue. for all intents and purposes in the eye of the general public the term slammer is a general term for the device. if he hasn't learned to live with that he is fighting a losing battle.

I say all kinds of good things to people and give helpful ice-fishing and ice-safety tips. I'm also going to give replies in kind. I've even privately answered questions from people who've built "slammer-type" devices. I joined this site because it pertains to something I have an interest in - ice fishing. I KNEW people would "copy" Slammers because we made them as simple and effective as possible. (You're welcome) - and I'm sorry to say, but there ARE quite a few details that most people miss and it makes their "copies" non-functioning and rods gets broke, fish don't get caught, fishermen become disgruntled, and that's just bad for everyone . I'd rather go fishing than work and I don't need to insult anyone's intelligence - most people do that on their own. My ego's fine but I think my id needs work and it seems like the government gets what money there is. The Slammer Tip-Up name IS trademarked and I REALLY HOPE that some state starts referring to rods-held-under-tension-in-a-rod-holder-on-the-ice devices as "Slammers" more than the general public - then I might actually make some money (although my lawyer will probably get most of that). Come up with your own name for your contraption - I hear some good ones like Perch Pounder and Walleye Whacker, or better yet, design a good "quick draw" rod-holder for bluegill and perch jigging - I could use one.

A bait runner reel would work well for a dead rod, in fact I had one but pretty well wore it out bait fishing. Need to get another one or two, though. But on a slammer you need the spool tension of a regular drag to set the hook on the strike.

There's really not a "hook set" with a Slammer until the fish pulls against the rod AFTER the rod is released. If you do have your drag set with tension on the spool - there is immediate tension put on the hook when the fish pulls on the line and releases the rod, but the hook doesn't really "dig in" and "set" until that first headshake (which often does happen on the initial strike - especially fishing pike with minnows). SOMETIMES though a fish will ride the rod up and the hook won't be set until you get tight line on 'em. A baitrunner will work with a properly adjusted Slammer Tip-Up and the rod will release and pop up BUT there is very little tension, if any, on the fish and it's more like using a conventional tip-up when rigging this way. They rig like this in Minnesota.

your dad is correct howie. the first one i seen was called the steelie slammer, almost 30 years ago.

Did you see it in IN-Fisherman magazine?? That article came out in 1995 (13 years ago - time flies when you're havin' fun) and that's the first time the names "Steelie Slammer" and "Slammer Tip-Up" were publicized and only a couple of years after the Slammer was "invented". What you saw was probably either a Whip-Up or Tripper style device and if you did see one on the ice in the late 70's or early 80's, I'd really be interested to know exactly where, when, and what it was.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:04 AM »
 The first "whip up" plans that I saw were in the 1986/87 In-Fisherman article "Icing Stocked Trout" (I still have it, man I'm getting old). But the trigger (pivot) mechanism that you mentioned, didn't work very well. It went right into the tip/top & was tricky to set because a wire went into the tip & the line threaded into a "V" which worked as a lever. Your Richie Ring is a huge improvement over that. And basicly perfected the trigger design. Although I've seen some with a stationary eye bolt that are "OK".
 The article credited Lake Superior fishermen with the original concept to present spawn bags to steelhead & set the hook before they dropped them, as they do with regular tip ups or even set rods, sometimes. Who knows, I've heard Wisconsin guys take credit, too. Don't know, don't care. All I know is you guys have pretty well perfected the system.
 We fished "stockers" around here for many years. We'd just take our "trout rods" out on the lake & set them on a bucket, open the bail & loop the line under a rubber band (bait runners, too). Caught alot that way then & still do now. But you've about got me converted over to slammers, now.
 I see your point on the bait runner, it just kinda goes against the whole point of using a slammer in the first place, In my mind anyway.  But I guess it would work, kind of.
 And I also, see your point on the "hookset" factor, same as a downrigger, I guess.
 I try to fish White & PM lake once or twice a year, too. Maybe I'll see you out there. Good luck

Ron

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:24 PM »
The first "whip up" plans that I saw were in the 1986/87 In-Fisherman article "Icing Stocked Trout" (I still have it, man I'm getting old).
 The article credited Lake Superior fishermen with the original concept to present spawn bags to steelhead & set the hook before they dropped them, as they do with regular tip ups or even set rods, sometimes. Who knows, I've heard Wisconsin guys take credit, too. Don't know, don't care. All I know is you guys have pretty well perfected the system.

I'd love to see that article. Matt Straw from IN-Fisherman was unable to locate a copy years ago when he tried to find it. I've heard the same about the Whip-Up - that it originated in the Ashland area of Wisconsin and was used near Lake Superior.

I see your point on the bait runner, it just kinda goes against the whole point of using a slammer in the first place, In my mind anyway.  But I guess it would work, kind of.

It's for those who think that the fish HAS to run with the bait and wants to use a rod and reel in conjuction with a solid rod-holder signaling device OR for those where spring-devices are not legal to be used.

I've "heard" that there's safe ice on White Lake in places- not sure where or how much. I have no idea about Pentwater but am going to make a phone call about that tomorrow. I fished Hamlin Lake the last two afternoons - about 5 inches of black ice with 1-5 inches of white ice on top. My buddy and I took limits of slab 'gills and I saw some pike on the camera but no takers on the Slammer. I did have a rather large shiner on that got lively and went for a ride a couple times. He finally got his tail clipped.

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:20 AM »
I'd love to see that article. Matt Straw from IN-Fisherman was unable to locate a copy years ago when he tried to find it. I've heard the same about the Whip-Up - that it originated in the Ashland area of Wisconsin and was used near Lake Superior.
I sent you a PM. Merry Christmas!
Ron

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:45 AM »

Did you see it in IN-Fisherman magazine?? That article came out in 1995 (13 years ago - time flies when you're havin' fun) and that's the first time the names "Steelie Slammer" and "Slammer Tip-Up" were publicized and only a couple of years after the Slammer was "invented". What you saw was probably either a Whip-Up or Tripper style device and if you did see one on the ice in the late 70's or early 80's, I'd really be interested to know exactly where, when, and what it was.

[/quote]

slammerman, it was at royer lake indiana where i seen it. you could rite about the "whip up/tripper style", it seams like there was a pin that went through the tip eyelet to hold the rod under tension. i couldnt tell you who they were as i was only like 10 at the time. the name steelie slammer mite have been implanted in my memory from the later article in in-fisherman in the 80s(i also have all my back issues in the attic, bcice ). from what i remember they had 2 of these rigs and both were made from flat wood and used about 4 ft rods. the up rite was connected by a wad of rubber bands to release the tip. the guys were in their 40s or so im guessing and dont know if they lived there or were just visiting. i only remember seeing this the one time as we didnt live there i just camped there with my grandparents in the 70s an 80s and we only ice fished it a few times till grandpa got too old.thats all i can remember about the experience, sorry.

i wasnt ripping on you im sure your product has its own unique improvements. i appologise if you though other wise, bud

tim 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:20 PM »
I sent you a PM. Merry Christmas!

Thanks AGAIN !!

it seems like there was a pin that went through the tip eyelet to hold the rod under tension. from what i remember they had 2 of these rigs and both were made from flat wood and used about 4 ft rods. the up rite was connected by a wad of rubber bands to release the tip.

Tim - it sounds like what you saw were Whip-Ups if the tip was held by a pin with a drop away arm. A couple old-timers on White Lake near me copied an old prototype of mine where the tip is held with a pin and "basstardized" them a little to include a drop-away upright arm. We call them "Spoolers" because if the fish doesn't crank down on the rod to release it and you have your drag set too loose - the fish will spool all of the line off your reel before the rod releases from the pin (then you run out of line and something breaks).

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:28 PM »
try using a #8 quick strike rig from Bait rigs tackle 800/236-7441. I am 2 for 2 with this rig . 5.5' lite action ugly stick 8lb (3lb diameter)crystal fireline

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:07 PM »
try using a #8 quick strike rig from Bait rigs tackle 800/236-7441. I am 2 for 2 with this rig . 5.5' lite action ugly stick 8lb (3lb diameter)crystal fireline

I think I'm going to carry a spare spool for my slammers next year with some power pro or fire line. I had mine set up with 8# XT mono this year and if I was fishing shallower water, say 10 feet or so deep, my hooking percentage was nearly perfect. Very rarely missed any pike at all. But on some lakes we were catching pike out to 40 feet deep and my hook up percentage dropped way off. One day I went 0 for 3 and one had a quick strike rig because I'd been having trouble out there (deep) all winter getting hooked up. Same size minnows, hooks everything. Got ticked off & set up my dead rod/bait runner and caught 5 straight. I'm guessing line stretch (4 times as much) was a factor. Plus I was planning on setting some sets for lakers next year also and I'm probably going to set twice that deep at times so I guess I'll experiment. Maybe one with no stretch line & one without, just to compare.
Ron

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.